Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

My first thought was also Dinas Mawddwy though, as Tim says, it isn't. However, the style of the station building looks right, if a little larger. That, and the barge boards which have a similarity with those at Cemmes Road, suggest somewhere on the Cambrian in that part of the world.

Nick

Two other branches in that area were Caersws-Van and Abermule-Kerry, but I can't find photos of those termini

• RMweb Premium

Not Cynheidre, though, as the L&MMR didn't have an official passenger service, and thus no stations, whilst the BP&GV never possessed such solid buildings (they were very fond of corrugated iron, preferably second-hand). The station seems to be at the edge of a reasonably-sized community; there's a gasometer behind what looks as though it could be the 'Railway Hotel'. It does look like South Wales- south-western, even, given the field pattern in the background.

I wonder if it really is Great Western. There's nothing about that station that says "GWR" to me. I wonder if it could be in the North of England somewhere, which is well outside my home territory.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly there was nothing with this group of negatives which run to over 200 to say where they are. They include Alva, the Border Counties and lines to Hexham, Hawick, North Berwick, the Wenslydale railway including Hawes, the S&C, Bowes, Barnard Castle, Kirby Stephen East, the Longridge branch, Grosmont, Malton, Lincolnshire, the Garstang and Knott end, the NG/LNW joint from Melton to Leicester, the Queensbury lines, some shots in South Wales, Cornwall and Bexhill - off the top of my head. It could certainly be elsewhere it just seamed logical at the time- but I cannot match that canopy onto any GW line or company - nor for that matter any in Scotland or on the SR.

I wonder if it really is Great Western. There's nothing about that station that says "GWR" to me. I wonder if it could be in the North of England somewhere, which is well outside my home territory.

My suspicion is that it's not, purely because of the track which has three-bolt rather than two bolt chairs. Not that I have a clue which railway it might be however. The bexhill picture is rather nice though.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

My suspicion is that it's not, purely because of the track which has three-bolt rather than two bolt chairs. Not that I have a clue which railway it might be however. The bexhill picture is rather nice though.

Adam

This is little more than a guess, since I don't know the area at all, but I wonder if it could be in Cumbria - say Egremont or Cleator. A quick look at some old maps suggests that there were iron mines on or near the tops of hills.

• RMweb Premium

This is little more than a guess, since I don't know the area at all, but I wonder if it could be in Cumbria - say Egremont or Cleator. A quick look at some old maps suggests that there were iron mines on or near the tops of hills.

Thats an interesting idea - especially as some of the lines round Moor Row survived for freight for longer. I will do some looking to see what can be found.

regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thats an interesting idea - especially as some of the lines round Moor Row survived for freight for longer. I will do some looking to see what can be found.

regards

Duncan

I can't find any photos of the stations, but here's one of Egremont gasworks looking in what would be the opposite direction if that where your photo was http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p63535350/h3BC8EC93#h3bc8ec93

I've found a better picture of Kerry and can confirm it is that station, but reversed. Picture is in Celebration of Steam North Wales by Peter Johnson, published 1995. The picture I had originally was in the Oakwood Press book on the Cambrian by RW Kidner, mine is a 1965 reprint.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks on the confirmation on Kerry, here it is the right way round

7479777184_c38e387131_z.jpg

I am becoming more convinced the latest is Egremont with the topography and looking at Google.

Once again many thanks for all your help

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

So here is a new one for you, which would make for a great model. Here we have J15 5473. Built in June 1913 as 545 it became 7545 in 1923. It was renumbered 5473 in January 1947. So our photo is between 1947 and June1948 when she became . She was withdrawn in March 1960 and cut up the following month 65473. In 1948 she was allocated to Colchester, finishing her days at Stratford.

Now to the photo

7227182642_432711f9ca_c.jpg

The stock looks very ramshackle and initially I thought Mid Suffolk, but I could not find a layout on that line that matched this. With 2 3 wheelers a 2 wheel coach and a van, I'm sure some would say it never happened that late. So any ideas where it might be?

Kind regards

Duncan

So here is a new one for you, which would make for a great model. Here we have J15 5473. Built in June 1913 as 545 it became 7545 in 1923. It was renumbered 5473 in January 1947. So our photo is between 1947 and June1948 when she became . She was withdrawn in March 1960 and cut up the following month 65473. In 1948 she was allocated to Colchester, finishing her days at Stratford.

Now to the photo

7227182642_432711f9ca_c.jpg

The stock looks very ramshackle and initially I thought Mid Suffolk, but I could not find a layout on that line that matched this. With 2 3 wheelers a 2 wheel coach and a van, I'm sure some would say it never happened that late. So any ideas where it might be?

Kind regards

Duncan

Just a guess, but did one of these coaches get used for "The Titfield Thunderbolt" ?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the extra information. Now for something completley different. I don't know if this is a terminus? or if in the background we are looking at a plate girder bridge that is blocked up and with what looks like station buildings above. Glasgow has been suggested and Chesterfield ruled out (I think)

7096869865_a326b5eb8c_c.jpg

One day when i get more time, I might even do some modelling of one of these lovely if enegmatic locations. Once again thanks for all your help

Duncan

Archived