Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Blea Moor Northern portal had the telegraph poles on the opposite side of the track in 1965.

There is an equipment cabinet in about that position but no signal.

Edit: the southern end doesn't match at all.

source: Stations and Structures of the S&C plate 55

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the topography and angle of the land above the tunnel and absence of retaining walls I think this miight be Crosby Garrett tunnel, its certainly not Blea Moor, Dent Head or Lazonby just by the topography and lack of retaining walls.

• RMweb Premium

Another location for you, this time classic GW architecture, but where on earth could it be - by the look of buildings around it i think Cornwall, Devon or Somerset, but I have been very wrong in the past. There was no date on this Kodak slide so all I can say is 60s.

7427059466_2c595cf7a1_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29644579@N07/sets/72157630253146946/with/7427059466/

In the slide show 5572 is not entering Launceston - it is entering Tavistock South from the Plymouth direction.

There is a similar photograph, without a loco, in GWRJ 17 which featured Tavistock South.

Detail reference points which are common to both include the number of roof ventilators on the storage buildings,the two telegraph poles to the rear of the buildings and the one in front of the buidings(far left),and the position and detail of the rodding runs.

Looking at the topography and angle of the land above the tunnel and absence of retaining walls I think this miight be Crosby Garrett tunnel, its certainly not Blea Moor, Dent Head or Lazonby just by the topography and lack of retaining walls.

Yes, you could be right. It does look more promising, except that I found this photo and there would seem to be a colour light signal adjacent to the tunnel mouth which I cannot see in my acquired photo. 76084 S&C Photo10x6

Re pic posted in post #69... I think it might be Yealmpton in Devon, the general layout of the place reminded me of the article on the branch which appeared in GWR Journal several years ago. The half stone / half brick built goods shed certainly makes me think of Yealmpton anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Re pic posted in post #69... I think it might be Yealmpton in Devon, the general layout of the place reminded me of the article on the branch which appeared in GWR Journal several years ago. The half stone / half brick built goods shed certainly makes me think of Yealmpton anyway.

That thought went through my mind but I'm far from sure on it.

Guest stuartp

Blea Moor Northern portal had the telegraph poles on the opposite side of the track in 1965.

There is an equipment cabinet in about that position but no signal.

Edit: the southern end doesn't match at all.

source: Stations and Structures of the S&C plate 55

Keith - try plate 69 - south portal of Rise Hill Tunnel ? The tunnel mouth matches (the abutment walls were more parallel to the track at Blea Moor north), the low embankment matches, the hill side matches and the telegraph poles are on the correct side. Plate 69 is dated 1913 and shows Dent up distant on the down side, the caption mentions it was moved to the up side in 1940. The milepost would be 254.

(Edited for inability to tell up from down)

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the topography and angle of the land above the tunnel and absence of retaining walls I think this miight be Crosby Garrett tunnel,

I don't think it is the south end of Crosby Garrett as the landscape doesn't look correct and the telegraph poles are on the wrong side again.

Possibly the northern portal?

Just looked on Bing maps Bird's eye & Google Maps and Crosby Garrett doesn't seem to fit either end - it's too green and farm land like. The north end is in cutting with farm overbridge about where the loco is

Could this be elsewhere?

Edit just spotted Stuartp' s post: I looked at that one but don't like that hillock on the right!

Mind you, something is causing that shadow.

Keith

Just pulled out GWRJ #9 from the naughty cupboard.... pic in post #69 is Yealmpton, everything matches..!

But all the images are reversed (Fencote & Yalehampton) As pointed out via Flickr a few days ago... :derisive:

Porcy

• RMweb Gold

Just pulled out GWRJ #9 from the naughty cupboard.... pic in post #69 is Yealmpton, everything matches..!

Blimey I live a mile from Yealmpton and boy has it changed. Will go out and take a look tomorrow night.

I do know where the station was.

Neil

Ps do you mean post #79 Nidge?

I don't think it is the south end of Crosby Garrett as the landscape doesn't look correct and the telegraph poles are on the wrong side again.

Possibly the northern portal?

Just looked on Bing maps Bird's eye & Google Maps and Crosby Garrett doesn't seem to fit either end - it's too green and farm land like. The north end is in cutting with farm overbridge about where the loco is

Could this be elsewhere?

Edit just spotted Stuartp' s post: I looked at that one but don't like that hillock on the right!

Mind you, something is causing that shadow.

Keith

Here is a wider shot of the southern approach to Rise Hill Tunnel.

e Rise Hill Tunnel Class 113 Skipton to Carlisle April 68 J1269

The telegraph poles are on the left side, the position of the dry stone walling protecting the tunnel mouth looks to be about the right distance away, and there is a small mound to the right of the tunnel entrance here which is just beginning (extreme right) on the steam photo.

No distant signal though, but that might have been replaced or removed with the decline in traffic as certain boxes were closed?

Guest stuartp

No distant signal though, but that might have been replaced or removed with the decline in traffic as certain boxes were closed?

Dent box closed in 1981 (I think). I'm guessing from the oil tail lamp that that pic is 70s. There is something there i think (look where the bottom of the RH wing wall meets the grass) but it's lost in the general grain/compression fuzzyness and background clutter.

• RMweb Premium

Dent box closed in 1981 (I think). I'm guessing from the oil tail lamp that that pic is 70s. There is something there i think (look where the bottom of the RH wing wall meets the grass) but it's lost in the general grain/compression fuzzyness and background clutter.

I found several other pics on the web and I'm prepared to go with Rise Hill South portal.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments, i have been having problems with the Fencote ones getting them to reverse within Flickr (or rather their bit of software that does that). The ones at Yealpton wust have been put into the slide mounts the wrong way as I followed the one with the home signal.

I will do some updating this evening. As ever many thanks for all the suggestions.

kind regards

Duncan

Blimey I live a mile from Yealmpton and boy has it changed. Will go out and take a look tomorrow night.

I do know where the station was.

Neil

Ps do you mean post #79 Nidge?

Hi Neil, sorry yes, I mean't post #79, must have been a slip of the digit there.

Porcy - that image of Yealmpton certainly hasn't been reversed... the signal is the right way round....!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments and help, I finally managed to turn the Fencote ones and the goods shed one round (at last)

Here now are another 3 ex GW stations I think. Sorry for any dodgy spelling my 8month old teething daughter is on my lap having a bit of a bad night

7427058056_1b64a38f2a.jpg

7427056394_70fe756df4_z.jpg

7427055586_decbf4d026_z.jpg

Once again many thanks for any help of ideas

Duncan

Ok, here is another mystery photo. I posted this on a different railway forum with little success.

It is 60524 Herringbone with a short train of 3 Stanier coaches.

I cannot see any overhead electrification plates on the loco, which would suggest the year was very early 1960s. The loco was transferred from York to St Margarets in 1962.

But, where was this type of local train seen? Somewhere on the Waverley route perhaps?

post-4474-0-41762900-1340961595.jpg

Archived