Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

carriage standard committee minutes in parkin supplement have minute no.3014 on 1/8/62 as the first instruction for the application of first-class stripes.

minute no.3056 on 29/9/62 mentions the official drawing has been produced.

Thanks for those dates, they are very useful.

Actually, I have zoomed right in on the original scan and there seems to be a warning plate between the washout plugs, therefore my initial thoughts about very early 60s are wrong.

So, given the flowering cow parsley, is likely now to be late spring 1963 or 1964 when the loco was at Ferryhill and Polmadie respectively, which tends to make the Waverley route less likely.

Guest stuartp

G&SW main line ? Kingmoor had a reputation for using other people's large engines on the 'Parliamentary', especially around that date.

It looks alluringly G&SW or Caley mainline to me, big Polmadie loco on 3 staniers being fairly common - but I can only get tiny resolution at the moment. I'll have another look later from my home computer.

Guest stuartp

I wondered about the Caley main line but are there any tunnels on it ? It's a little bit east of my comfort zone !

Tbh Stuart I wasn't sure it was a tunnel or a bridge on this screen!

Could be heading north out of Mossgiel before the curve round to Garriochburn, but what looks to be a home signal on what would be SB approach to the tunnel catches me off-guard.

Can't picture either end of Drumlanrig without recourse to photos.

Need to do some checking...

Could be heading north out of Mossgiel before the curve round to Garrochburn, but what looks to be a home signal on what would be SB approach to the tunnel catches me off-guard.

This is still my inclination following some digging, though I can't find a photo to prove it. Background looks ok, stock looks plausible, wee building fits, but I can't find evidence of that signal - certainly not on 1938 six-inch map (thanks NLS). It would be Garrochburn's, and not all that far from the 'box either.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the signal is an IB Home - but it's too difficult to make out the plate even with enlarging. Either that or it is an Advanced starter. There appears to be only a single wire in the wire run which suggests to me it is far more likely to be in advance of the 'box which works it rather than in rear.

• RMweb Premium

Tbh Stuart I wasn't sure it was a tunnel or a bridge on this screen!

Could be heading north out of Mossgiel before the curve round to Garriochburn, but what looks to be a home signal on what would be SB approach to the tunnel catches me off-guard.

Can't picture either end of Drumlanrig without recourse to photos.

Need to do some checking...

post-7404-0-16443300-1341004169.jpg

I think it could be the south end of Drumlanrig tunnel. But my picture taken from above the portal isn't really conclusive.

• RMweb Premium

This black and white one seems to have an East Lincs or GN&GE flavour to it, but can anyone recognise the location from the squat signal box on the right?

What is striking is the box looks more like an LSWR type 3 box and the crossing keepers cottage also has a strong LSWR feel to it. As yet i am not sure where.

• RMweb Premium

This is still my inclination following some digging, though I can't find a photo to prove it. Background looks right as best Google Streetview and local knowledge from a distance (!) can tell me, stock looks plausible, wee building fits, but I can't find evidence of that signal - certainly not on 1938 six-inch map (thanks NLS). It would be Garrochburn's, and not all that far from the 'box either.

And here's my photo of Mossgiel tunnel from near Garrochburn

post-7404-0-63613600-1341056001.jpg

And here's my photo of Mossgiel tunnel from near Garrochburn

post-7404-0-63613600-1341056001.jpg

Thanks for that Andy.

It does seem to rule out Mossgiel, at least at that end, as the track is on a curve there, whereas in the Herringbone photo it is straight.

Herringbone's certainly not Mossgiel, I have to withdraw that one with a red face - despite there being a suitably straight bit before the tunnel mouth, from a site visit there's a farm missing plus way too many hills in the Herringbone pic. :yes:

Herringbone's certainly not Mossgiel, I have to withdraw that one with a red face - despite there being a suitably straight bit before the tunnel mouth, from a site visit there's a farm missing plus way too many hills in the Herringbone pic. :yes:

That's a pity, because I was getting pretty sure it was Mossgiel! So, assuming it is Scotland, where else is it? No tunnels on the Caley mainline between Carlisle and Eglington Street, only Mossgiel and Drumlanrig on the G&SW, none on either of the Caley routes between Glasgow and Edinburgh, Pinmore is single track, none of the tunnels on the Gourock/Wemyss Bay lines fit - what other tunnels are there on lines that Polmadie engines would work at all regularly? And what is there on lines that 60524 might have worked out of Aberdeen?

I'd convinced myself too, until it dawned upon me that behind the immediate hill that Mossgiel burrows under, there's nothing much for many miles to the Craigs of Kyle. Mike's IB signals seemed to fit, but I can't recall if there was such a thing there, or whether I'm muddled with a modern proposal.

Well I found a youtube cab-ride video showing a very brief glimpse of the southern exit from Drumlanrig, and there was a toe-wall to the embankment, which I don't see in the pic. Afraid Thornhill and Carronbridge were too far south for me to go for a sneak peek however.

Is it going to be something daft like the Glenfarg line? Afraid my shallow prototype knowledge has now been exhausted :)

• RMweb Premium

A couple more ex GW stations for you, which I have not got a clue where they are.

7473144704_ed16fe87bb_c.jpg

I think the one above is in Wales it is so similar to lots of stations I can find, but not the same. The one below though has got me totally foxed and I have no ideas where it might be.

7479777184_00b2357dd4_c.jpg

As ever any help or pointers would be very much appreciated. For my sins, I have always sought out the smaller, unidentified slides and negatives as being more interesting. The challenge is then trying to find out where they were.

Thanks for your help

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

First one is Lydney Town, second is I think Dinas Mawddy.

(edit for change of mind about second station!)

Wow, thanks ever so much Tim - here is another possibly ex GW station

7479769552_bb2063dc01_c.jpg

A nice Southern scene as well

7473147552_0c7f9d5300_c.jpg

Thanks again for your help and hope you are all enjoying these images as much as i am enjoying sharing them and finding out where they are.

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

The possible GW one is intriguing. Do I discern evidence of coal mining on the skyline to the left? It looks as if it could be a pithead structure and some tips. I can't think of many collieries in South Wales that were on high ground rather than in the valleys, but Cynheidre was one.

First one is Lydney Town, second is I think Dinas Mawddy.

(edit for change of mind about second station!)

My first thought was also Dinas Mawddwy though, as Tim says, it isn't. However, the style of the station building looks right, if a little larger. That, and the barge boards which have a similarity with those at Cemmes Road, suggest somewhere on the Cambrian in that part of the world.

Nick

The possible GW one is intriguing. Do I discern evidence of coal mining on the skyline to the left? It looks as if it could be a pithead structure and some tips. I can't think of many collieries in South Wales that were on high ground rather than in the valleys, but Cynheidre was one.

Not Cynheidre, though, as the L&MMR didn't have an official passenger service, and thus no stations, whilst the BP&GV never possessed such solid buildings (they were very fond of corrugated iron, preferably second-hand). The station seems to be at the edge of a reasonably-sized community; there's a gasometer behind what looks as though it could be the 'Railway Hotel'. It does look like South Wales- south-western, even, given the field pattern in the background.

Archived