Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, you have been very kind in the past helping to identify various unidentified negs in my collection. I attach 2 more to see if any of you have any ideas on it.

post-5625-0-37288700-1303028323_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-38422200-1303028334_thumb.jpg

There is no detail with the negs and none of any of the signs are readable.

I look forward to hearing where these might be.

With kind regards

Duncan

Guest stuartp

Well it's not Wilsontown this time !

I haven't a clue, but if it helps anyone else, the loop on the top photo appears to have every other sleeper or so replaced by concrete blocks. Wasn't that an LNER/GWR thing ?

• RMweb Premium

Yes i would agree the style of the first one is North Eastern - I have been able to rull out Middlesborough to Scarborough via Whitby and the lines out of Pickering, but don't have books of other areas to identify the line.

I felt the second was on the Southern Region - but it is only a feeling and have not managed to tie it down to an area

Many thanks again for any suggestions

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

I felt the second was on the Southern Region - but it is only a feeling and have not managed to tie it down to an area

The style of the valancing is reminiscent of Ewell West in Wikeley & Middleton, but I cannot find any such shelter there in modern times. I also suspect I can see a third rail, and the presence of railings and a car park is surely commuter-land-ish. Ewell West opened in 1859.

• RMweb Premium

Even though the neg was scanned the right way this time (its not unusual for me to mess that up) I agree that it looks very like Tanfield and the style of buildings is a very good fit, especially when taking into account the topography.

Any futher ideas on the second?

On the second one, I reckon the neg is back-to-front: if you look at the poster on the end of the shelter (boy holding a dog??), it looks like the capital letters on the caption are in the wrong place if it's the right way round.

Edit: if you flip it over, and squint your eyes, a couple of the words look like "your dog", so I'd say it was definitely back to front.

Beyond the shelter appears to be a BR totem sign, with a relatively short one-word name. That and the VW Beetle might narrow the date down at least.

Flipped version (hope you don't mind):

post-6971-0-88450000-1303113959_thumb.jpg

Looking again, and fiddling with Photoshop...

you could convince yourself that the presumed totem sign starts with a T and ends with something round like a D.

The advert on the end almost certainly says "xxxx your dog Spillers Winalot"

On their company history page here there's a 1972 advert in a similar style, but more wordy. So maybe it's a station that survived the 1960s closures.

• RMweb Gold

Looking again, and fiddling with Photoshop...

you could convince yourself that the presumed totem sign starts with a T and ends with something round like a D.

The advert on the end almost certainly says "xxxx your dog Spillers Winalot"

On their company history page here there's a 1972 advert in a similar style, but more wordy. So maybe it's a station that survived the 1960s closures.

Photoshop also confirms - I think! - presence of third rail, which reduces the chances of it being closed now.

Photoshop also confirms - I think! - presence of third rail, which reduces the chances of it being closed now.

I think I'd agree - it looks flatter and wider and doesn't reflect the light the same as the rail nearest the platform.

Blandford (OP), is there no way of getting a better scan just of the presumed "totem" area?

On the original photo I think I can see the "pots" too.

I'd have thought this building was a fairly standard structure of one of other of the pre-Grouping companies, so should at least be able to ID the company even if that makes the actual station more difficult.

Hope this helps

Thanks, but now I'm not so sure about the possible letters on the totem sign - think there was some dirt there which was giving me suggestions that don't work out when you look at the close-up. Back to the drawing board.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I have put a set on flickr of unidentifed locations - I think at least 1 is on the Banff branch, a number on the goods branch near Barnard Castle and at least one possibly in Nottinghamshire on the GNR

Any suggestions for this latest batch would be gratefully recieved My link

Once again many thanks for your help

Duncan

I have put a set on flickr of unidentifed locations - I think at least 1 is on the Banff branch,

Duncan

I would agree the one titled 'Possibly Banff branch' is just west of Banff. Look at the hill and point in the background of this photo, taken from the beach at Banff and compare it with the background of your photo. Also, Golf Club House Halt would have been just about where the platform is in the photo.

And I think the one titled 'Invergordon?" is Invergordon. Here's a more up-to-date picture which seems to fit and the caption says that the footbridge which appears in your picture has been demolished. Also, a partial name search for 'rgordon' on the OS website gives only Invergordon as a result.

Any suggestions for this latest batch would be gratefully recieved My link

Once again many thanks for your help

Duncan

Very last pic (Lower of composite)is Butterknowle Goods. Upper is Lands Goods stone loading platform looking West.

The composite image two previous, lableled "North Eastern" are:

Lower. Lands Goods, looking East. Upper. Evenwood Goods. In the lowe phot you can just make out the word "Lands" on the nameplate. The building still stands (Just) and can be seen at:

Lands Google

A pic of Evenwood goods from the other side can be found here after a similar request on the LNER forum:

Evenwood?Ramshaw goods

The phot you have labeled as "Branch near Barnard Castle??" Is also Butterknowle goods but the neg needs to be flipped.

These are on The Stockton & Darlington Haggerleases Branch.

Got a couple more but I'll post their locatios later as I've go a mate pulling his hair out trying to work out where they are. :rofl_mini:

Cheers Porcy

I would agree the one titled 'Possibly Banff branch' is just west of Banff. Look at the hill and point in the background of this photo, taken from the beach at Banff and compare it with the background of your photo. Also, Golf Club House Halt would have been just about where the platform is in the photo.

Yep. Thats the Links Halt. Just along from Banff Station.

Ancillary and totally unjustified information mode ON:

Long before my time, but my Grandad caught a German spy being landed on the beach there. He lived in the Coastguard station directly above the terminus. My G’dad, not the Spy!

Ancillary and totally unjustified information mode OFF:

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Porcy and PH for the identifications, could some of the other NE negatives which are all the same size and taken by Eric Hockling in about 1954 (from the information i have) also be on either of those branches.

There have also been a couple of other identifications

Unidentified 8 was identifed by Ernie as Cambo Keels on the Wearhead branch, Triangular junction to the Heights Quarry incline

Unidentified 7 is the earlt days of Crich tramway museum.

Once again many thanks for all your help in identifying these locations.

The information on the German spy was also interesting. I take it he gave up easily

Kind regards

Duncan

The "Great Northern somewhere in Notts" photo is almost certainly Stathern Junction, south of Bingham where the direct Newark-Melton Mowbray line met the cut off line from Nottingham avoiding Bingham (Great Northern & L&NW Joint line) The train is coming from the Nottingham direction and heading south towards Melton Mowbray. This junction was closed in 1962.

Archived