N gauge 21st Century Buses

For my next project, I am going to need a fair few N gauge modern buses, and as you can't buy them, I'm going to have to make them.

Admittedly, there are some 'modern' bus models out there, and Farish are releasing a very nice set of Leylands etc later in the year, but they are 'modern' in the very broadest sense - really being 1970s and 80 buses, when I need buses from 2000 onwards. There are also some passable Japanese models out there that could be modified, but they are quite expensive, and as I am probably going to need about 6 or 7 very definitely British buses, I wanted a cheaper (and better) option.

Here's a photo of prototype 1 under construction:

post-6666-0-36680800-1304281753_thumb.jpg

At the back is a continental 1:160th coach model - I've used this to think about how to construct a model bus. Its turned out to be pretty simple, a firm chassis plate with wheels, a box on top with a basic interior, and some rear view mirrors. Being only 6cms long, the detail doesn't have to be amazing, so that was my starting point.

In the middle is a basic card shape using a print out of a photo of the side of a bus scaled to correct 1:148th scale (I've used a Dennis Enviro 200 as its a pretty standard modern bus, and they go past my road quite often!). This was used to check the sizes and 'feel' of the bus shape.

At the front is the first step in actually making a bus. This test print is a window design printed onto OHP transparency, with my proper bus design graphic printed onto a vinyl sheet and stuck over the top. It seems to work pretty well, and the next step is to replicate the complete bus shape, that I made roughly in card, out of clear plastic, then print out the bus exterior graphic as a vinyl net to wrap around the shell, with the OHP transparency already stuck in place.

If I'm happy with that, prototype 2 will include some seat representations (made out of folded card), some passengers, and wheels - donated from some cheap n gauge cars I have floating around.

Mirrors can be added using thin plastic strip, and hopefully it will look the part.

More updates later in the week

David

Looking good so far :)

Have you ever seen The Model Bus Handbook by Ian Morton?

A lot of the techniques in there may be very useful for you - you may find you're having to reinvent the wheel in some ways without it. The author lurks on here too!

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever seen The Model Bus Handbook by Ian Morton?

A lot of the techniques in there may be very useful for you. Looking good so far :)

Cor blimey, him again. Never heard of it guv :rolleyes:.

Give me a while and I'll unearth the appropriate words for the edification, elucidation and amusement of the masses.:P

For modern double deckers in N there's always the Cars Workshops models of the Hong Kong Tri-axles. These can be shortened down to two axle fairly easily as they are all plastic, clip together construction. Here's one arranged for London use, but you can also shorten by taking out the centre doors.

post-1877-0-08936700-1498938814.jpg

As you dismantle it you can admire the amazing detail on the lower deck ceiling!

For modern double deckers in N there's always the Cars Workshops models of the Hong Kong Tri-axles. These can be shortened down to two axle fairly easily as they are all plastic, clip together construction.

Yep, I managed to hack one of them down to a London Wright Gemini;

post-33-0-15779600-1304325244_thumb.jpg

and they do a Plaxton Pointer2 which is easier to convert;

post-33-0-48318800-1304325345_thumb.jpg

But I was lucky to get them relatively cheaply through someone who purchased them in Hong Kong and brought them back for me.

G.

Oxford Die-Cast are releasing a Plaxton Elite in National Express colours later this year and have been looking at other single and double deckers, E200 and 400 were a possibles but Alexander-Dennis declined to licence them for some reason, strange considering Plaxton are part of the same group. Wrights look to be more likely candidates.

Well those two conversions have certainly captured the look of UK buses! Most impressive. I doubt my attempts at scratchbuilding will be anywhere near as effective, but I'm actually quite enjoying the challenge of building this bus completely from nothing.

Brief update, I've made up an experimental structure now, and applied the side vinyl just to see how it holds together. Its surprisingly rigid, so I'm now going to work out how I can make a rough interior, and apply to this 'half build' to see how it looks through the completed side.

After that, designing the full net to fold round the base structure.

David

post-6666-0-95614600-1304355722_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-30713200-1304355724_thumb.jpg

I like the look of the bus David, it looks very sturdy, they will no doubt be a worthy addition to your layout!

On another note, I'm looking forward to Oxford's National Express model, one for those of us who don't have the drive to scratch build laugh.gif

Oxford Die-Cast are releasing a Plaxton Elite in National Express colours later this year and have been looking at other single and double deckers, E200 and 400 were a possibles but Alexander-Dennis declined to licence them for some reason, strange considering Plaxton are part of the same group. Wrights look to be more likely candidates.

Might be something to do with an exclusive deal with CMN who seem to produce most of the 1:76 ADL Enviro models and have been doing so before ADL bought Plaxton.

Thanks Jack, some nice double decker ones on there that might come in handy.

I've tested the complete net now, this is very rough as there is no clear plastic shell yet to make the walls solid, just the vinyls and OHP transparencies bent into shape.

I'm pretty happy though, I think this proves that the idea is sound, so I will get some clear plasticard in the week and work up a proper box to try the covering on. Still working on the seats!

David

post-6666-0-03084100-1304365182_thumb.jpg

Might be something to do with an exclusive deal with CMN who seem to produce most of the 1:76 ADL Enviro models and have been doing so before ADL bought Plaxton.

Could be, but Corgi also produce the Enviro 400, apparently using CMNL's tooling under licence!

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good, David, even on the screen at twice actual size! There's a picture of the interior of a Stagecoach E200 here which may be of use in producing the seats. The raked "charabanc" arrangement on these buses is quite characteristic.

Do you have any plans to try and reproduce the bowed front of the prototype? It would be very tricky as it's a 3d curve, but perhaps some interior structure below window level might gently persuade the vinyl? (Or perhaps it would just look terrible...)

I've worked up prototype 2 this morning - still no plasticard shell, but actually I think I may not need one. Much happier with this shape, some changes to the wheel arch positions are needed, and the vinyls need extending slightly to cover the gaps on the edges, but I feel I'm getting somewhere now. I'd be happy with this model sat at the back of a layout, just need to keep going until I get some high quality ones for the front!

David

post-6666-0-02500300-1304412178_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-93862200-1304412179_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-12989300-1304412181_thumb.jpg

don't forget the Trident deckers too.

i don't see why they are being funny about to be honest, thing is along with Wright Gemini's and DAF Lowlanders all three companies and/or some of their models make up most of the modern public service bus stock up.seems silly not to issue the rights to model, or are they onto money with it? if they hold on for longer perhaps the license cost might go up?

anyway, good work on those Hong Kong bus models, I'd love to bash one into Arriva fox county colours!

• 2 years later...

Archived