Watercolour Pencils Video

Any idea why he uses window cleaner as a softener... and not water?

I've used the Derwent pencils to add variations to a red brick wall and they do work well, but I simply used water as a softener. Well, not really water.. I licked my finger and dabbed the pencil onto it! (Best not to dab it onto your tongue, unless you want to colour that too!!!) Not my idea (to use water colour pencils), but picked it up from other modellers on RMweb.... but not in a 'weathering' context.

• RMweb Premium

Any idea why he uses window cleaner as a softener... and not water?

I've not read the article or watched the video yet but I'm guessing surface tension might have something to do with it. The window cleaner may allow the pencil pigments to flow better than plain water (just like adding a couple of drops of washing up liquid to PVA/water mix helps with ballasting).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I guess you're right Steven... and here's a bit more advice from Bill, the author of the video/article, who I contacted through the website:

"I experimented with different solutions, including windshield washer fluid. I got the idea of window cleaner from the Sn3 Yahoo group. It seems that the ammonia and wetting agent in the window cleaner does the trick. I have also found that the good window cleaner is better than a cheap brand which is too diluted."

A case of buying the most expensive you can find???

Best wishes

Be careful with the ammonia if you're using it on acrylic paints, Windex (Windowlene) is often used to clean out airbrushes as it reacts with, and softens, acrylics.

HTH

Archived