RMweb

Worlds largest model airport now open

And you think we have trouble modelling holes in the edge of our virtual worlds? laugh.gif

Yeah, that's rubbish, should at least have some floating low cloud that the planes could disappear into ... :P ;)

£3 million well-spent. B)

.....although the take-off and landing manoeuvres would have been even more convincing if the guide posts attached to the fuselage had been transparent rather than solid.....

In time to come, even these movements will probably be DCC!

• RMweb Gold

The Fleischmann Model Railway Club have a club trip planned for later this year to visit Bremen and Hamburg at which time they will have a pre-booked visit to Miniture Wonderland.

Still contemplating on whether I should go.....seeing this video makes it very tempting :unsure:

Keith

Yeah, that's rubbish, should at least have some floating low cloud that the planes could disappear into ... :P ;)

And some planes were taxiing with a towbar still attached...!!

Saw it nearly finished a couple of months ago, was very impressive then, it's like all the rest of Miniatur Wunderland, lots of movement and flashing lights and cameos, the purists off the cliches thread would have a coronary :D

• RMweb Gold

I'm stunned, I don't know if it's because it's such an original concept or it's because the model is so superb but there are sequences of that video that really can't be differentiated from the real thing - mind bending stuff :blink:

One thing that did strike me as superb are the indicators on the vehicles...so much better than the flashing blue lights you get on alpine 'chocolate box' layouts - if you know what I mean ;)

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if we'll see Ryanair flights landing there...... :yahoo:

Not a chance... they'll be landing on the grass strip 40 miles away because the landing fees are cheaper there! :lol:

I first saw that video a few months ago and I'm still blown away when I watch it. Amazing stuff!

It is indeed some superb modelling, and the use of electronics is awe inspiring (and something I'd like to see more of in British Railway modelling).

[Curmudgeon mode ON] HOWEVER, from this video (at least) this amazing model suffers from what I call the "Continental Disease" - a shiny plasticky appearance.

Perhaps the model is different "in real life", but in the video the Aircraft are far too shiny, as are the vehicles (especially the aviation fuel bowsers). If Miniatur Wunderland would weather their models (just to tone down the shiny surfaces) then the model would truly be gobsmacking.

Perhaps I am being too critical, but I think Miniatur Wunderland is a fantastic and awe inspiring train set, but a true model railway??? Certainly not in the same league as Pendon, Heckmondwyke or similar British layouts [Curmudgeon mode OFF]

Still, it is always a treat to see how European modellers are pushing forward railway modelling...

F

From what I've seen on the net, some of the earlier sections, particuarly the american bit, seem to be a little unrealistic to the point where you wonder whether you wonder if the designers compare them to their new work and think of starting again. But at least a lot more of the public side can be seen modelled, how many modellers would consider including vast car parks and taxi ranks...?

The videos have been on YouTube for quite a long time, certainly they were there back in January.

I agree that it's definately worth watching the 25 episode series on the bulding of the Airport section too.

Model wise, it's a shame about the massively overscale undercarriage and wheels on a number of aircraft models (a bit like pizza cutter Lima wheels, gone large), however some of the larger models seem to have more to scale arrangements.

Otherwise they seem to have taken a good deal of time getting the take-off and landing action quite realistic.

The other thing is the Faller type vehicle movement (is it a propriatry system?), with its on/off, full speed/stop action.

It's the thing that puts me off having Faller vehicles in my layout plans. There might be a need here for some sort of digital control with decoders.

I'd cerainly love to go and see it.

....The other thing is the Faller type vehicle movement (is it a propriatry system?), with its on/off, full speed/stop action.

It's the thing that puts me off having Faller vehicles in my layout plans. There might be a need here for some sort of digital control with decoders....

There already is DCC (and indeed RC as well!) for HO vehicles. The Germans are leading the way. ---->Click here .....and here

>>They even make scale-sized traffic lights - much closer to scale than the usual products by Busch and Faller...

• RMweb Premium

The other thing is the Faller type vehicle movement (is it a propriatry system?), with its on/off, full speed/stop action.

It's not the proprietary system but a very tweaked system.

well worth spending a few hours looking at the 25 instalments of
to see how the magic is done.

Couldn't agree more.

Superb.:lol:

It just goes to show what CAN be achieved with time, money and space!

Puts most of what we do here to shame (and by that I mean the permenant ' come a pay a fiver to see' ....type resort layouts.

Archived