Red Stripe RF Class 37

Mark 37

Thanks Bry,

I found this on my travels through the web and thought this would be a good model, link if I could work out how to make the plough. Although not listed above a couple of Flangeways are on the list of must haves.

Mark

Hi Mark37

For Railfreight Red Stripe Class 37s with Eastfield Terrier logos there were 37118 split headcode, 37160 centre headcode and 37359 split headcode. Now im not sure whether 37118 was renumbered into 37359 or whether they were different locos i dont have my Platform 5 books to hand.

Bry

37118 and 359 are the same loco.

• RMweb Premium

Now I am not sure whether 37118 was renumbered into 37359 or whether they were different locos I don't have my Platform 5 books to hand.

I can confirm that 37118 and 37359 are indeed one and the same. Was still 37359 in 1991 according to the appropriate Platform 5 Combined Volume.

Up side down salmon, how did they manage that

I remember a Class 81 loco that had the salmon upside down (Salmon was used for Motherwell on diesel locos and Shields on electric locos)

It turned out that the person applying the logo wasn't aware that it was a leaping salmon, not a diving salmon

Thanks Bry,

I found this on my travels through the web and thought this would be a good model, link if I could work out how to make the plough. Although not listed above a couple of Flangeways are on the list of must haves.

Mark

There is a company that does a kit for a Beilhack plough (could be Brittania Pacific Models) the plough section from those looks similar to the ones that were attached direct to the locos by Eastfield TMD.

Bry

Hi Mark,

I remember i had fots of this unrefurbished tractor with mini dog on my huge fotopic site but now sadly gone and wouldn't know were to start looking thru my boxs full of pics as i didn't back all up on disc only a few after scanning them!:( But one things for sure that 37 coming towards the camera is not 373 its more like 379 as see link/pic below 373 is missing all the lower section on the fronts this tractor has nothing missing!

1991-07-21 37373 Thornaby

Cheers, Rick.

post-10797-0-19739100-1305307467_thumb.jpg

I tend to agree, it is not 37373, which leaves 37379 as the only possibility

As for what we may suspect is 37196

I have been looking closer

If you look vertically below the Eastfield scotty dog, above the red stripe is a white stripe

I've been looking at photos of 37196 in Red Stripe Railfreight and there is no such white stripe

This is going to be the best way to be definitive, but I can't find any other locos with this (at the moment)

I am actually wondering if this is 37/5, prior to repainting into Triple Grey?

Evenin all,

Yes i think you could be write mjkerr with the scotty dog red striper been a late addition to the crewe refurbishment scheme as its very rare you see a scotty dog on a red stripe tractor! Noted i think 370, 371, 372 & 373 all/some had salmons on there cabside/bodysides but this has really got me thinking now as to what she could be i've searched and searched now as its nigging me and i've come up with nothing seems to be these scottish examples are hard to get a definite 100% number on with the depot logo's added!:(

I can confidently say that i'm 99% curtain its not 37196 thou as after looking at more pics the painted area where the red plates were was there before she got to scotland and never got sorted until been dutched up in the 90's also 196 has a none standard deeper red stripe, this tractor has standard height red stripe.

Mark,

Yes i think she was involved in an accident due to the lower fronts at both ends been completely removed as is with 37019 which was crash damaged two and had the same, similar treatment maybe the same works/depot fixed both 373 & 019 a pair i'd like to model due to there none standard fronts.

Cheers, Rick.

http://www.flickr.co...962/2381886853/

How stupid are we!

The loco partially visible is 37373, which is then had the Salmon covered in a Railfreight logo and a scotty dog applied

Equally, the white stripe is in the exact same location and is identical in appearance (and that would have to be some coincidence if not the case)

Strangely, there are no records for the loco having transferred from ML to ED, whilst as 37373, but it is possible it was temporary or someone made a mistake

The person that took the photo has then got the numbers of the locos mixed up

Therefore that is both of them now identified

I am not sure about 37373 / 37160 having an accident resulting in the extreme cut away buffer beam, as both ends are identical

Equally, photos in BR blue also show it like this after 1987

I suspect it was an experiment as part of its overhaul in 1987

Cheers all - record keeping was never my strong point.

The reason I went for 37 373 was that I had another shot of the loco at the same location, but I assumed through the mists of time it was the same loco as the one in the original photograph heading towards the camera.

If I could log back into the website I'd update the captions, but since moving ISP I'm afraid I can't!

i was looking everywhere for a pic of this scotty dog loco

However, the link you provided has it with a ML salmon, not a scotty dog

I made the error of listing all the ED locos with Red Stripe Railfreight, this one sneeked through

I no longer have my Platform 5 books from this time, but I seem to remember these locos swapped between ML and ED a few times

I suspect this loco was intended to swap to ED, but it was so short a time it was not recorded

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great find Richard,

I just need to get some funds together for the loco's, there just seems to be so much out just now that we would like and not enough hours in the day to make the cash needed.:(

Best regards,

Mark

• 6 years later...

Archived