Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Signal Box coal ?

Brian

One of Adrian Shooters earlier conversions before the class 230/ex-D stock. A former 31 converted to steam power with 4 Mamod engines inside. The fuel tank is filled with meths and the "coal" in the tender 16T wagon is a plastic moulding.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

One of Adrian Shooters earlier conversions before the class 230/ex-D stock. A former 31 converted to steam power with 4 Mamod engines inside. The fuel tank is filled with meths and the "coal" in the tender 16T wagon is a plastic moulding.

Stewart

Probably much more fleet of foot than the conventionally powered version!

Phil

I grew up in Long Eaton and remember that bit of Toton. In those days you used to be able to sneak through the perimeter fence and wander around amongst rows and rows of stored 16 tonners and hoppers. Wish I'd had the gumption to own a camera back then.

• Like 1

Anyway, here's a question for 16 ton experts. What is the difference between diagram 1/108 and diagram 1/117? I'd always thought 1/108 was exclusively unfitted and 1/117 was fitted. According to Larkin there were fully fitted lots of both diagrams. And from photos they look identical. 

Anyway, here's a question for 16 ton experts. What is the difference between diagram 1/108 and diagram 1/117? I'd always thought 1/108 was exclusively unfitted and 1/117 was fitted. According to Larkin there were fully fitted lots of both diagrams. And from photos they look identical. 

It was something silly like a fraction of an inch in a leading dimension, IIRC. There were unfitted 108s, fitted ones with 8-shoe brakes, unfitted ones with eight-shoe brakes, and later ones with 4-shoe fitted underframes.

Just checked the Barromere site for the Diagram Books:-

1/108 18.336 cubic metre capacity, 2676 mm high

1/117 18.371 cubic metre capacity, 2682 mm high

Edited by Fat Controller

It's always seemed odd to me that a single wagon diagram should cover wagons with all sorts of different brakes and, in the case of some types of open wagons and vans, different suspensions, yet a separate diagram is produced where the is a quarter of an inch difference in one dimension. Having said that, the diagram book was produced for railway operating staff, not for modellers 50 or more years down the line.

It's always seemed odd to me that a single wagon diagram should cover wagons with all sorts of different brakes and, in the case of some types of open wagons and vans, different suspensions, yet a separate diagram is produced where the is a quarter of an inch difference in one dimension. Having said that, the diagram book was produced for railway operating staff, not for modellers 50 or more years down the line.

If anyone could explain BRs ideas on allocating wagons to diagrams they would be doing far better than any of us trying to study their output for the past 50 years. In some cases they clearly didn't realise there had been a change until several more lots had been delivered, other times they simply didn't bother - such as the mineral wagons. It didn't help that in this case they stopped the vacuum braking part way through production of batches.

We have said before, but bears repeating as this is now over 100 pages long, the best source of information on BR 16T mineral wagons is

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991a) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part one Prewar and wartime designs.   Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 3) pp 124 - 133.

Drawings - official of the slope sided mineral, Hurst Nelson 14/16t private owner , ex MWT/SNCF diag. 1/112

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991b) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part two Later Pre-Nationalisation    developments.  Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 4) pp 148 - 156.

Drawings - LNER diag. 188/BR diag. 1/103 ex MOT rivet ; BR diag. 1/105 ex MOT rivet ; BR diag. 1/102 ex WD welded .

Fidczuk, Peter. (1991c) The 16ton steel mineral wagon, part 3: Developments under British Railways. Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 5) pp 220 - 230.

Drawings - BR diag. 1/108 welded ; BR diag. 1/109 riveted ; BR diag. 1/108 rebody welded.

The larger wagons are discussed in

Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983b)  British Railways 21 ton Mineral Wagons. Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 595) pp 637 - 641.

Drawings - Welded double door diag. 1/107; Riveted double door diag. 1/110 ; VB double door with SAB diag. 1/120  and manual load  diag. 1/119

Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983c) British Railways 21 ton Mineral Wagons - the rebuilding programme.  Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 596) pp 708 - 711 & 697.

Drawings - Double door welded rebody; single door welded rebody.

Paul

Going slightly off topic, but still staying with coal wagons, as I didn't know where else to put it, I thought you might like to see the underside of a 21t Coal Hopper, that had been kindly turned on its side at Maerdy Collier in 1986. Very useful for us modellers. Sorry no number for it.

post-7146-0-76979600-1482863811_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 9