Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Should 16 tonners really be travelling this fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehscGltcDR0

Phil

Another film of 16 tonners (6 different train loads) in the 1960s

Richard

And this is why it spoils it for me when freight trains are run unrealistically slowly at exhibitions. If you look at the second video at 5.51 there is a steam hauled example at similar speed to the first, why? cos that's the speed they were actually run at, not the 20mph crawl most layout operators seem to think is 'correct'!

And for further reference, look at 6:57 on - that is the speed that fully fitted freights should be run at!

• Like 2

Also of interest (to me anyway) is that 'high capacity' (sorry don't know correct term) coal wagon next to the 8F at 5:30 in a rake of 16T wagons

40 ton Side discharge hopper wagon Dia 1708 built for block trains from notts area to Stonebridge park power station London .Some pics and description in LMS wagons volume one Scrapped by 1966 on closure of power station phil Edited by 77philg

Not in colour, but hopefully still of interest:

Copley Hill, Leeds 1963:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/2077521327/in/dateposted/

Denholme Station.1955.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/3144561820/in/dateposted/

A poor quality picture, but perhaps a different load?  Perhaps scrap sleepers?  Hard to tell!

The goods yard layout and timber stacks might also give some ideas.

• Like 1

In the picture titled "47643 Wesleys" in the previous post, I thought it interesting that the top line of the data box appears to read MINERAL.

Seems unusual to me, have noted the likes of MCO / MCV / COAL 16 (VB) but not MINERAL before.

No, I haven't looked at Mr Bartletts archive so please don't shoot me if this happens to be a common marking - in that case I've simply not noticed it before.

• RMweb Premium

In the picture titled "47643 Wesleys" in the previous post, I thought it interesting that the top line of the data box appears to read MINERAL.

Seems unusual to me, have noted the likes of MCO / MCV / COAL 16 (VB) but not MINERAL before.

No, I haven't looked at Mr Bartletts archive so please don't shoot me if this happens to be a common marking - in that case I've simply not noticed it before.

MINERAL or just MIN pre dates the use of the TOPS codes MCO and MCV which were introduced in the 1970s. Some were labeled COAL, or if fitted with vacuum brakes COAL VB. Without trawling through hundreds of photos I am sure some vacuum braked examples were labeled MINFIT. The use of MINERAL and COAL came in to use post 1964 when the lettering on wagons started to be boxed.

Many, if not most did not carry a code until the introduction of the TOPS codes.

The wagon in the photo you refer to looks like one of the few that received bauxite livery in 1964 when some bright spark decided to swap the liveries around. Non fitted were grey, and fitted were bauxite up to 1964 when they changed so unfitted were bauxite and fitted grey, this lasted only a short while as someone sensible realised that swapping the liveries around only led to confusion when trains were being marshaled, so things were swapped back. The wagon in question is unfitted as it has bottom door "V" markings, no fitted wagons had bottom doors as the brake gear got in the way of the doors. I cannot see the number but I think this wagon is a Diagram 1/104.