Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I like shots like this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72213853@N03/8175864352/

even though you need to zoom right in to see the mineral wagons, its atmospheric and inspirational to model the whole scene with things like the wagons just being part of it, they define an era. however this location has already been modelled.

so some shots I may put in this thread you may not be able to see any detail of the wagons, but if its a shot of a long train it could give some people inspiration to model that whole train and scene.

• Like 2

There are some interesting photographs of mineral wagons in this series http://www.drehschei....php?17,5721518 [and of industrial locos and scenes more generally]

The 9th down is really nice, 5 minerals alternating between recent rebodies and non rebodies - and a navy blue locomotive with red detailing!

Note - quite a number are internal user, and, on the Industrial railway society site there is discussion that the locations given are incorrect.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There are some interesting photographs of mineral wagons in this series http://www.drehschei....php?17,5721518 [and of industrial locos and scenes more generally]

The 9th down is really nice, 5 minerals alternating between recent rebodies and non rebodies - and a navy blue locomotive with red detailing!

Note - quite a number are internal user, and, on the Industrial railway society site there is discussion that the locations given are incorrect.

Paul Bartlett

I note an NCB blue wagon with the later NCB yellow lettering... didn't see many of those in Horden! Good details though!

I note an NCB blue wagon with the later NCB yellow lettering... didn't see many of those in Horden! Good details though!

I wouldn’t, have thought you see any... :) I thought they were mainly 21t hoppers on internals; at least they were for the couple of weeks I was there in 1978.

I think that new script for the NCB came in about 1976-7, followed a couple of years after by the compulsory Orange overall scheme.

Must go and check my letterheads from the time…

Porcy

More 7mm scale wagons, first from a Peco kit and second from a Parkside kit

Nice work again. If I were to put my metaphorical toe in the virtual water, which one would you recommend? The PECO version has better solebar detail, methinks, but what about on an effort level?

Nice work again. If I were to put my metaphorical toe in the virtual water, which one would you recommend? The PECO version has better solebar detail, methinks, but what about on an effort level?

On balance I think the Parkside are the easiest to assemble and probably best for a starter. The PECO is a bit more complex, having opening side and end doors with fiddly hinge details. The sides come in three sections, plus the top capping and the door, and getting it all together can be a bit tricky. The PECO is also a bit more expensive, but for very little more you could buy the ready assembled and painted LIONHEART TRAINS wagons, which are excellent although you do have to buy them in pairs.

There is a bit more detail on the PECO solebar as you suggest and as shown below

post-14569-0-92720800-1353458443.jpg

By the way, the pin holes in the brake lever guide on the PECO wagon may look a little uneven - that's because you have to drill them yourself !

Edited by PGH
  • Like 3

On balance I think the Parkside are the easiest to assemble and probably best for a starter. The PECO is a bit more complex, having opening side and end doors with fiddly hinge details. The sides come in three sections, plus the top capping and the door, and getting it all together can be a bit tricky. The PECO is also a bit more expensive, but for very little more you could buy the ready assembled and painted LIONHEART TRAINS wagons, which are excellent although you do have to buy them in pairs.

There is a bit more detail on the PECO solebar as you suggest and as shown below

post-14569-0-92720800-1353458443.jpg

By the way, the pin holes in the brake lever guide on the PECO wagon may look a little uneven - that's because you have to drill them yourself !

Because they are different wagons.... The Peco is an early mineral with independent brakes, RCH plates etc whereas the Parkside are the standard 108 and has most of the solebar details that would be seen on such a wagon with welded frame. As mentioned the Peco has finer body detail.

You need both, and the Lionheart rivetted version.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Hi PGH, thanks for the advice - and going to the trouble of taking those snaps. I'm very grateful. And after bending up brake lever guides in 4mm, I figure that drilling a few holes may (may :) ) be better for my mental well-being.

Because they are different wagons.... The Peco is an early mineral with independent brakes, RCH plates etc whereas the Parkside are the standard 108 and has most of the solebar details that would be seen on such a wagon with welded frame. As mentioned the Peco has finer body detail.

You need both, and the Lionheart rivetted version.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Aha! Thanks for your info, and expertise. I didn't cotton on.... This potential "toe in the water" exercise is looking more and more like total body immersion :)

This is probably my favorite thread, some really awesome shots on here that i wouldn't normally get to see .I always turn to this thread for inspiration

dont let it end my layout needs it lol :good:

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

The lorry's quite interesting as well- an LAD-cabbed 'Chinese Six', as I believe they were called. This layout of axles was much more common with brewery drays than with tippers.

Even more unusual, going on the wheels and cab panel combination (the short door and large arches), it seems to be a Leyland Comet/Super Comet - usually a 4-wheeled lorry - which suggests that the extra steering axle was a conversion. A very rare beast...

Edit - It may even be a Dodge, not this one, but similar: 022 LAD Dodge chinese six wheeler

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Some nice tank wagons in this, it looks like there are a pair of the Midland Railway tanks which were popular for local dispensing of fluids - such as http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmstank/ec5d848b There are several photos of them in Essery, R, J, (1980) An illustrated history of Midland Wagons, Volume 2, Oxford Publishing Co. SBN 86093 041 6. 169 pages

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1