Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

those wagon loads look a bit unrealistic

c.1982 - Tyne Yard, Gateshead. by 53A Models, on Flickr

That's coke from one of the local coking plants, Michael. The lumps were generally bigger than the typical house-coal load, and had a sort of metallic sheen to them.

Edited by Andy Y
Image removed due to copyright dispute.
  • Like 2

Why the tarpaulins? Is it a finer blend of coal or different commodity altogether?

Could be almost anything Paul, what's often forgotten is that these wagons were designated 'mineral' for a reason and didnt just carry coal class products. In that particular location (Carlisle), I'd suspect Cumbrian gypsum, but 16 tonners were also sheeted to carry sugar beet and no doubt other things that didnt improve when wet.

Edited by Pennine MC

That shot posted at 18:08 above with the (astonishingly filthy) Class 5 (is it?) was bugging me for some reason as something didn't seem quite right - it's the lip around the top of the mineral wagon, it's thinner than normal. If you compare the two behind the green Class 37 you can see it more clearly. An interesting modification, although I'm unsure how to recreate it - probably remove the lip altogether from a Bachmann/Farish version and re-add it with plasticard...?

Also interesting that the relatively pristine one behind the unidentified 9F (20:32 posting) has apparently still managed to get a dent in the side judging by the wonky black number patch.

Fascinating stuff - well done MD.

thats because it's one of the diagrams which employed rivetted construction Dave, either 1/105 or 1/109, can't quite make out the brake arrangement, there's another behind the 8F at 21:07, which appears to be dia. 1/103 without top flap doors, or possibly the virtually identical LNER diagram?

regards Nigel

Edited by rsv1000r
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

thats because it's one of the diagrams which employed rivetted construction Dave, either 1/105 or 1/109, can't quite make out the brake arrangement, there's another behind the 8F at 21:07, which appears to be dia. 1/103 without top flap doors, or possibly the virtually identical LNER diagram?

regards Nigel

In theory it's a 1/105 as it has the either side independent brake with the double V irons. However, as a 1/105 it would have bottom doors but seems to be missing the white V markings on the side door. Is it my imagination or is the paint on the door a slightly different shade from the rest of the sides? This could indicate a replacement door from a 1/109 which wouldn't have these markings. Otherwise they just haven't been applied. So much for livery standards!

David

• Like 1

In theory it's a 1/105 as it has the either side independent brake with the double V irons. However, as a 1/105 it would have bottom doors but seems to be missing the white V markings on the side door. Is it my imagination or is the paint on the door a slightly different shade from the rest of the sides? This could indicate a replacement door from a 1/109 which wouldn't have these markings. Otherwise they just haven't been applied. So much for livery standards!

David

It could be that or, more likely, a repair and patch repaint. The absence of bottom doors might simply be that they had been welded up/plated over which seems to have been relatively common.

Adam

• Like 2

Is it my imagination or is the paint on the door a slightly different shade from the rest of the sides? This could indicate a replacement door from a 1/109 which wouldn't have these markings. Otherwise they just haven't been applied. So much for livery standards!

It is very slightly different, and significantly less rusty (compare also with the wagon behind the 37 at Carlisle). Given that the bottom doors were passing out of use anyway, going to the bother of denoting them would seem a moot point anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That shot posted at 18:08 above with the (astonishingly filthy) Class 5 (is it?) was bugging me for some reason as something didn't seem quite right - it's the lip around the top of the mineral wagon, it's thinner than normal. If you compare the two behind the green Class 37 you can see it more clearly. An interesting modification, although I'm unsure how to recreate it - probably remove the lip altogether from a Bachmann/Farish version and re-add it with plasticard...?

Also interesting that the relatively pristine one behind the unidentified 9F (20:32 posting) has apparently still managed to get a dent in the side judging by the wonky black number patch.

Fascinating stuff - well done MD.

Dave

Edit - Since typing this reply to your post, I've discovered some later posts addressing your observations, but rather than deleting my post, I thought I'd leave it in for you to take a look at the link I've included.

The wagons you mention are two completely different diagram numbers. The commonest type with the deeper lip is the good old diagram 1/108 (welded construction), whilst the one with the thinner lip could well be a diagram 1/109, of rivetted construction, with pressed end doors. In the photo of the class 37 you refer to, it looks like the first two wagons are a diagram 1/108 and 1/109.

In 7mm scale, Lionheart trains make both versions, as outlined here....

http://lionhearttrai...ge=models&mid=2

I'm a bit out of touch with 4mm scale, and though I know the 1/108 (welded) is available both as rtr and as a kit, it's possible that the 1/109 (rivetted), is available too. You mentioned Farish in your post, but I'm afraid I know even less about 2mm scale!

Hope that helps

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit out of touch with 4mm scale, and though I know the 1/108 (welded) is available both as rtr and as a kit, it's possible that the 1/109 (rivetted), is available too. You mentioned Farish in your post, but I'm afraid I know even less about 2mm scale!

In the real 2mm scale :D the 2mm Scale Association has a plastic kit for the welded version both with and without top flaps as well as a slightly iffy Cambrian moulding for the 1/109 riveted version. There are etched kits for the various underframe types.

The best option, as has been demonstrated elsewhere on RM Web, are the etched kits from Stephen Harris which will produce all welded versions apart from the 17' 6" (1/099 ?) type on the re-used underframes.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/stephenharris/index.htm

Some excellent photos coming up on this thread, Michael. They have also led me to a few new Flickr sites that I had missed and enable me to waste spend time doing valuable research. . .

David