Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Guest stuartp

It's the tare weight in tons and cwts. It varied a bit between allegedly identical wagons, personally I don't worry within a ton or so but then I can't see them without my glasses on either.

Edited by stuartp

... the bottom RH corner of the wagon has the numbers 7 - 11 on a black box.

The sheet has different numbers for the various wagon numbers eg 8 - 1 8 - 17 and so forth. ...

What's the signifcance of these numbers? I guess it's something obvious staring me in the face but am having a mental block.

It's the tare (unladen) weight, applied for charging purposes so that it could be subtracted from the gross weight when the wagon + load combo was weighed. Very generally, a Morton (single sided) braked 16T mineral would tend to be lighter than one with double/independent gear or with vac brakes, but the potential range does vary quite widely between the 'upper sixes' and the 'mid eights'

Far be it for Grasshopper to challenge the acknowledged master on wagonology but a few thoughts:

There were 7(?) 3F in 1960 and all had gone by late 1962. Not sure which one I'll be renumbering mine to, but obviously it will have to be a survivor, and have some modellers licence for visiting the Aylesbury area. No doubt someone will tell me the specific gubbins on the Bachmann release relate to ones which were cut up earlier.....!

I would query the "late 1962" date as I have a colour slide of the last three at Derby and I ddin't start taking slides until October 1963 when I bought an Agfa Sllette. IIRC they were 43342, 43658 and 43669. That doesn't say when they last worked though.

• 4 weeks later...

(and the next photo along too - cracking weathering reference photo :) )

You're doing well finding these. The more I view ones showing the internal detail around the doors the more I'm thinking that something can be done to improve RTR models in that respect. Has anyone tackled that?

You're doing well finding these. The more I view ones showing the internal detail around the doors the more I'm thinking that something can be done to improve RTR models in that respect. Has anyone tackled that?

It would be nice if there were more views of the interiors of open vehicles available- even if you're not going to detail the inside, it would be useful to have some idea of weathering patterns and so on. The neglect of this area is ironic, given the normal viewing angles for most peoples' models.

Here's an inspirational shot of a 16 tonner's big brother to whet the appetite:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mdo/h3c64309a#h3c64309a

Noticeable features include the side doors not being flush with the interior of the sides, and the plates above the doors with the prominent bolt/rivet heads for the external catches. It would be awkward to reproduce some of this with injection moulding; perhaps there is something to be said for the seperate doors of the Airfix kit..

This one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6454428569/in/photostream/

Interesting vehicle, I dont think the patch painting is random, think it's had one of the various 'disposal' brandings applied, possibly 'SUBEX2' which IIRC was for vehicles sidelined for inspection but not actually condemned, and was painted out if the wagon was found to be OK. Look at the wagon to its right also - at a glance at at more distance, you'd take it for 'overall' rust but there are several distinct shades in interesting disposition. Similarly the second wagon in Mike's shot is only moderately rusted on the sides, but heavy on the ends - modellers I think often apply rust flakes in a too evenly 'spaced out' pattern, possibly subconsciously.

• Like 2

....think it's had one of the various 'disposal' brandings applied, possibly 'SUBEX2'

SUBEX2 - I read an interview with him. He couldn't handle his partner's fame after she won Britain's Got Talent, and so he broke off the relationship.

The bottom of the sides is showing signs of 'duff rot'. Wagon-loads of anthracite duff for export (very fine coal dust, used for briquettes and in some types of industrial boilers) would be held at locations such as Burry Port yard, Llandeilo Junction, and the various yards around Swansea docks until the ship arrived. They'd then be called forward to the sidings in the docks themselves to be tipped. By this time, some wagons would have been loaded for a week or more; given the normal weather conditions of the area ("if you can see the Gower, it's going to rain; if you can't, it's already started") and the slightly acidic nature of the load, the wagon sides would start to rot through at the join to the floor. Coedbach would often put straw around the edges of the floor before loading to stop the coal trickling out during its journey to the docks.

This one:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Interesting vehicle, I dont think the patch painting is random, think it's had one of the various 'disposal' brandings applied, possibly 'SUBEX2' which IIRC was for vehicles sidelined for inspection but not actually condemned, and was painted out if the wagon was found to be OK. Look at the wagon to its right also - at a glance at at more distance, you'd take it for 'overall' rust but there are several distinct shades in interesting disposition. Similarly the second wagon in Mike's shot is only moderately rusted on the sides, but heavy on the ends - modellers I think often apply rust flakes in a too evenly 'spaced out' pattern, possibly subconsciously.

I agree about the painting out of a subex or something similar. If the date is correct (which I accept it is) then this is amazing survivor. BR does seem to have been systematic in weeding out the independently braked mineral wagons by circa 1967 (Morton brake came in 1951 on new build).

The variation in 'rusting' on the mineral wagons is amazing. Some of the recent photographs show this well, the odd very badly rusted wagon - almost appearing unpainted, amongst many in reasonable condition. It is difficult to understand why the outside of these wagons deteriorated so badly, perhaps some of the manufacturers were not paying much attention to the quality of external finishing?

Paul Bartlett

It would be nice if there were more views of the interiors of open vehicles available- even if you're not going to detail the inside, it would be useful to have some idea of weathering patterns and so on. The neglect of this area is ironic, given the normal viewing angles for most peoples' models.

Here's an inspirational shot of a 16 tonner's big brother to whet the appetite:-

http://paulbartlett....4309a#h3c64309a

Noticeable features include the side doors not being flush with the interior of the sides, and the plates above the doors with the prominent bolt/rivet heads for the external catches. It would be awkward to reproduce some of this with injection moulding; perhaps there is something to be said for the seperate doors of the Airfix kit..

Brian has picked up that I have added considerably to this collection recently. There are other similar overhead shots, http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mdo/e394a09f which shows the effect of steel plating being replaced.

And this of one with the door open http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mdo/e282846b6 (although not good being against the light). This one http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mdo/e142a4b4b has been in the collection for years.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

http://www.flickr.co...N08/6454422593/

rather unusual repair behind the end stanchions on this one,

Hmmm, you often see patch painting there, I'd suspect over some welding bodge on the uprights themselves, but the plating patches are less common (though you can see similar on the sides of wagons, often near the door posts)

Edited by Pennine MC

Hmmm, you often see patch painting there, I'd suspect over some welding bodge on the uprights themselves, but the plating patches are less common (though you can see similar on the sides of wagons, often near the door posts)

they appear to be ijn layers if you look closely, rectangular behind each stanchion, over layed with a triangular patch either side of the stanchion??

Nigel

I'm sure I posted this before, but can't find it in the thread? Modern Railways, c1961/62, carried a short article, I believe with pictures, concerning the brightening up of the image of goods trains. Reference was made to 16t minerals experimentally painted - GREEN !

I'll have to have a look in the loft at my old mags.

Stewart

edit to correct spelling mistake

Edited by stewartingram

I'm sure I posted this before, but can't find it in the thread? ... 16t minerals experimentally painted - GREEN ! I'll have to have a look in the loft at my old mags.

Please do Stewart, I think I would remember that if you'd posted it before :D

I seem to recall one of the RTR manufacturers doing minerals in ICI branding that were green - was that prototypical?

Greeny blue Dave (dependent on your colour perception), it was a Mainline model of a wagon bought by ICi for soda ash use:

http://paulbartlett....com/icibulksoda

(these few pics are of wagons in poor condition, hence the ICI paint isnt too apparent)

(edit - 2nd one down, LH column):

http://www.mainliner...A/RearCover.jpg

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would query the "late 1962" date as I have a colour slide of the last three at Derby and I ddin't start taking slides until October 1963 when I bought an Agfa Sllette. IIRC they were 43342, 43658 and 43669. That doesn't say when they last worked though.

Quite a lot lasted into 1960 (I think about 125) but only 7 made it into 1963.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 3 weeks later...