5.5mm 3-foot gauge wagon kits by Hamlin

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

In my continuing musings about starting a small 5.5mm scale 3-foot gauge project I have come across a range of card wagon kits produced by Hamlin Industries - see http://www.hamlinindustries.com/ The kits are based on Irish and Manx prototypes and they look good on the web-site I must say.

Now I know 5.5mm/3-foot is not the commonest ng scale/gauge combination (at least in British modelling), but I was wondering if anyone has experience of ordering and building these Hamlin kits? I thought building a couple might give me a better 'feel' for working in 5.5mm, and who knows, help move my dreams of building a (freelance) 3' gauge line towards a reality...

many thanks, in advance,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

In my continuing musings about starting a small 5.5mm scale 3-foot gauge project I have come across a range of card wagon kits produced by Hamlin Industries - see http://www.hamlinindustries.com/ The kits are based on Irish and Manx prototypes and they look good on the web-site I must say.

Now I know 5.5mm/3-foot is not the commonest ng scale/gauge combination (at least in British modelling), but I was wondering if anyone has experience of ordering and building these Hamlin kits? I thought building a couple might give me a better 'feel' for working in 5.5mm, and who knows, help move my dreams of building a (freelance) 3' gauge line towards a reality...

No experience of these products, but 5.5.mm scale is by no means new for Irish 3-foot gauge. More than 50 years ago, a Mr Hannan was featured on several occasions in Railway Modeller with his lovely County Donegal models to that scale. I think you will find other recent references to them on RMWeb if you look long enough. The precedent is there.....

• RMweb Gold

HI guys,

if you are looking for 5.5mm loco and wagons kits, some of which where in the GEM range you need to contact Malcom Savage using the contact details on this page

http://www.blackhamtransfers.com/55/MalSavKits/index.html

there is also the 5.5mm Assocation as well.

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for your replies - much appreciated.

Mention of past 'Railway Modeller' 3' gauge articles reminded me of one I long treasured as a teenager in the early '80s, a layout based on the County Donegal in 4mm - little did I know then that I would end up living in the Emerald Isle myself some 30 years later!

I'm particularly keen on trying to model the 3' narrow gauge, particularly based on English-practice like the R&E (but a freelance-based version), but I am having difficulties in visualising 5.5mm scale (having always been a 00/009 person), hence my curiosity with the Hamlin kits, which are quite cheap to buy. I'd be a bit reluctant to take the plunge with a GEM type kit, especially a loco, though looking at the range they're mainly available for <3' gauge protoptypes rather than 3' stock, except the Manx ones of course.

I really ought to join the 5.5mm Association, yes - I've been dithering about doing so over the past few months but had promised my domestic accountant that I will cut back on my numerous society memberships, which had got a bit out of control of late! I have found the Yahoo group emails on 5.5mm narrow gauge really useful to browse though, in fact that's where I first came across mention of the Hamlin kits - I have emailed Mr Hamlin and see what response I get - hopefully positive. If I get hold a kit or two of theirs I'll report back on my progress...

thanks again,

all the best,

Keith

No experience of these products, but 5.5.mm scale is by no means new for Irish 3-foot gauge. More than 50 years ago, a Mr Hannan was featured on several occasions in Railway Modeller with his lovely County Donegal models to that scale. I think you will find other recent references to them on RMWeb if you look long enough. The precedent is there.....

3ft gauge modelling in 5.5mm scale

I recall reading the articles by George Hanan in RM in the late 1950's and/or early 1960's. I am not 100% certain about this, but my memory is that he used the scale of 5mm to the foot rather than (the more obvious) 5.5mm. At the time I thought this strange and have since wondered if there was some reason such as the availability of road vehicles or figures to the smaller scale. As I recall the first layout was three rail using Hornby-Dublo mechanisms.

Reference here -

http://www.donegalrailway.com/resources-models/#

- confirms the idea that the scale was 5mm, and here (about half way down the page) -

http://www.donegalrailway.com/gallery/

- are to be seen some pictures of (a later version of) his Donegal Town model. It should be noted that these two references have alternative spellings of the surname with and without a double "n" in the middle.

Christopher Payne

• RMweb Premium

I've made a couple of their vans in 5.5mm scale, they are nicely detailed kits and easy to build. For the first one I used a Hornby Rudd chassis which is a bit long in the wheelbase but passable but I've since found that the Peco O16.5 wagon chassis is pretty much spot on for them.

3292754164_6659973bfe_z.jpg

It's a great scale to model narrow gauge in - less fiddly than 4mm but sufficient "bulk" without taking up as much space as 7mm. Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

That's a great looking wagon there, Cornelius - and thanks very much for the tip with the Peco 0-16.5 chassis as I was wondering what I might need to use. I've since heard back from Mark Hamlin by email and will be ordering a couple of wagon kits in 5.5mm scale from him.

Thanks, too, Tom for the ref to the ng online - I registered back in the Autumn with the forum and have placed a few posts, and got good friendly responses and a warm welcome, but I tend I find I get drawn to this forum on a more regular basis - partly because I have a split modelling personality - 00 BR Blue Diesels (c.1979) are my other topic of choice! That said, I am a bit of an ng nut, always have been, so thanks for those RM refs Christopher.

I hope my assembled kit looks as good as yours does Cornelius - I'll post a photo of them if they turn out to be passable models! My aim is to then convert a cheap Hornby 00 0-4-0 tank engine into something freelance, and gradually assemble a small ng terminus station/shed/yard layout on a plank - we'll see... certainly the £10 for the 5.5mm Association membership sounds like a good bet to me, to help keep me on track!

all the best,

Keith

I have a split modelling personality - 00 BR Blue Diesels (c.1979) are my other topic of choice!

It's ok, I believe there is a cure now wink.gif

Archived