Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

On 29/08/2018 at 08:56, Rivercider said:

Hi Adam,

did I see some of the wagons featured on this thread at Highbridge at the weekend, on the Yeovil Group layout 'South junction'?

cheers

Hello,

Yes, you will have done - a great many of my completed wagons live in Yeovil with dad and get run on South Junction; I've no layout of my own so I'd rather the things got used. That said, I hadn't realised until this morning that the layout had been out - we've just moved house so familial communication has bee a bit sparse recently! The 'box at the left hand of the layout as you look at it is also in this thread with posts starting here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-an-early-lms-brake-m806/&do=findComment&comment=2623619

I hope that 1. it worked and 2. you enjoyed it and the stock.

Adam

EDIT - There's a video: 

(South Junction from 10:33 - not sure about the juxtaposition of the HST and GWR 4-6-0... most of the footage includes a southern rake with my model of 34108, Wincanton on the front, which is pleasing).

Edited by Adam

What's the lineage of that rebuilt WC please Adam?

More or less pure Hornby, albeit with Markits drivers and Gibson carrying wheels and a new front bogie. It's been sighted in ModelRail (this shot from the shoot via Chris Nevard):

post-256-0-78813100-1535655556_thumb.jpg

Adam

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes, you will have done - a great many of my completed wagons live in Yeovil with dad and get run on South Junction; I've no layout of my own so I'd rather the things got used. That said, I hadn't realised until this morning that the layout had been out - we've just moved house so familial communication has bee a bit sparse recently! The 'box at the left hand of the layout as you look at it is also in this thread with posts starting here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-back-to-normal-business-gw-open-c/page-36&do=findComment&comment=2623619

I hope that 1. it worked and 2. you enjoyed it and the stock.

Adam

EDIT - There's a video: 

(South Junction from 10:33 - not sure about the juxtaposition of the HST and GWR 4-6-0... most of the footage includes a southern rake with my model of 34108, Wincanton on the front, which is pleasing).

Hi Adam,

I did enjoy the show, and South Junction in particular.

I spent some time watching the trains, and pestering the operators with questions, who were happy to help where they could.

There was a marvellous selection of p way wagonry in the sidings to admire, but when a train came through with a raft of coil empties the penny dropped.

It is always good when I see something for real that I have been following on RMweb, so thanks very much for your efforts,

cheers

cheers 

• Thanks 1

More or less pure Hornby, albeit with Markits drivers and Gibson carrying wheels and a new front bogie. It's been sighted in ModelRail (this shot from the shoot via Chris Nevard):

attachicon.gifWincanton_on_SJ.jpg

Adam

Would that be a rake of Kitmaster Mk1s behind the rebuilt WC ?

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT

How easy was the EM conversion, I was led to believe they're a bit of a pig / nigh on impossible?

Thanks

Really!? It was quite a while ago, but this one was relatively simple (for a pacific); there are no splashers or other things that need fettling though the Walschert's valvegear required a bit of thinking.

1. The bogie was replaced with one from Comet because it was far too narrow but that's like for like using the same fixings, etc.

2. The Markits wheels are more or less drop in replacements reusing the original drive gear on a 3mm diameter axle. I recycled the return crank fixings from the original Hornby wheels, but soldering them in place would have been a perfectly viable alternative.

3. The Bissel truck wheel uses the flangeless wheel supplied with a 10 thou' plastic sheet spacer keeping it off the railhead >95% of the time which isn't 'proper' but is effective and far from obvious.

The pick ups took a bit of tweaking, as I recall, but it runs well and hauls well (as can be seen in the video linked to above).

Would that be a rake of Kitmaster Mk1s behind the rebuilt WC ?

Alasdair

Yes they are. They scrub up pretty well (not my work, I was probably a small child when they were built and dad was probably at school when they came off the moulding machine!).

Adam

Edited by Adam

Hi Adam,

I did enjoy the show, and South Junction in particular.

I spent some time watching the trains, and pestering the operators with questions, who were happy to help where they could.

There was a marvellous selection of p way wagonry in the sidings to admire, but when a train came through with a raft of coil empties the penny dropped.

It is always good when I see something for real that I have been following on RMweb, so thanks very much for your efforts,

cheers

cheers 

Hi Kevin,

I hope they were able to furnish answers (and if not, please ask here). Glad you enjoyed them.

Adam

A. The Bissel truck wheel uses the flangeless wheel supplied with a 10 thou' plastic sheet spacer keeping it off the railhead >95% of the time which isn't 'proper' but is effective and far from obvious................

B. Yes they are. They scrub up pretty well (not my work, I was probably a small child when they were built and dad was probably at school when they came off the moulding machine!).

Adam

Ref A: I did something similar with my cheap-and-cheerful Britannia P4 conversion - not very sophisticated, but it runs reliably.  As you say the lack of flanges is not obvious.

Ref B: my dad bought and built a rake of 4 Kitmasters (the classic BSK/CK/SK/BSK formation) when they came out and which I inherited, and I've subsequently picked up a fair few pre-owned ones in various states which I hope to smarten up.  While not quite comparable to current Bachmanns (Bachmenn?), for their time they were well ahead of anything else then available... happy days !

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's been a long, long time hasn't it?

Anyhow, I picked up the most recent copy of one of the popular modelling mags only really because the editorial team have had themselves scanned and rendered in plastic. A fiver for some decent figures and a paintbrush (just as the flux brush is on its last bristles) seems a reasonable deal to me, and the magazine will make good dividers for the stock box.

Anyhow, to the figures. There's an immediate problem:

post-256-0-93696100-1547203930_thumb.jpg

For those of you rusty in 4mm scale arithmetic, 27mm scales out at a Joel Garner-esque, door frame and ceiling troubling, 6' 9". Now with the best will in the world, Andy York and chums are somewhat diminutive in comparison to Big Bird and needed cutting down to size. The surgery was swift, somewhat brutal and non-reversible and a couple of mil' were removed from the gentlemens' legs.

The legs were drilled, 0.5mm wire let into the ankles and their feet pinned back on. This has done nothing for their BMI, sadly, but with a modicum of restyling of clothing and adjustment of waistlines they still look more or less right and scale up to somewhere in the region of 6' apiece which is a bit more like it, if still a bit tall for some contexts.

post-256-0-36429700-1547203955_thumb.jpg

I suppose I'll have to paint them now.

Adam

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I shouldn't really be starting new projects - there's a house to decorate and too many unfinished wagons - but here we are. A freebie from the January Railway Modeller (gone to recycling after a fairly cursory glance, I'm afraid) in the form of a Ratio GW Mink which I thought should be better value than it turned out to be - my stash of spare underframes failed to yield anything suitable, so it's the princely sum of £3.50 and Parkside by PECO to the rescue! Some of these vans acquired BR-type axleguards in later life, perhaps when they were retro-fitted with vac' brakes? This one, for example:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/h279BBD07#h279bbd07

Unusually for such retro-fits, a reasonable number - this one for instance - acquired upright vac' brake stands: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/h2A79DAE7#h2a79dae7 (I love the relettering and accompanying touching up on this one - the Silcock's feed poster is good, too) which I presume were second hand.

post-256-0-28448400-1547907591_thumb.jpg

Note the platefront axleboxes (MJT) and the secondhand wheels from a mate whose current modelling has a P4 focus so it's not quite the bargain I'd hoped for, but still economical. Since this picture was taken, I've added tiebars from 0/8mm angle and - following Gerry Beale in the current MRJ - replaced the locking bar on the door in 0.3mm wire and a couple of short lengths of fine electrical wire. I've added lamp irons from flattened 0.7mm wire, too. The one issue II have is that I don't have the right sort of buffers in stock so I shan't be able to finish it this weekend...

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 3

I've one to do myself! Body's done, just waiting to raid my spare sprues box at some point!

The sole reason I bought the magazine is because I thought there was something suitable among the spare sprues. Alas, 12' wheelbase and a 10' with j hangers! Still, at least the wheels were in stock, so thanks for those, Andrew.

Adam

• Like 1

A few wagon projects in between paint bits of house and tiling the kitchen floor. The GW van has been painted as has a Bachmann RCH 7 plank which will end up as a fairly decrepit vehicle at the end of its life.

WIP_001.jpg.b2f7fbe42104b5556bbdd4a3afe109dd.jpg

The thread index, by the by, is broken. I won't be updating it from hereon as I've better things to do. Sorry about that - one of the consequences is that this thread is now less useful to me (I use it as an aide memoire for how I did things last time) so may not be updated regularly.

All best,

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That would be a pity as it is a very inspirational thread, but I do quite understand how it would stop working as a knowledge base for you.

Plenty to look back through though, and thank you for introducing readers to some of the suppliers whose materials you have used.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Jamiel said:

That would be a pity as it is a very inspirational thread, but I do quite understand how it would stop working as a knowledge base for you.

Plenty to look back through though, and thank you for introducing readers to some of the suppliers whose materials you have used.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie - I'm not saying that I'll abandon it completely, but the process has to be useful as well as enjoyable and if the thread doesn't serve its purpose as a reference tool I can and will do other things with my time.

The of re-indexing 40 odd pages and all the subsequent tidying up is something that doesn't fill me with joy. The reality of it is far too much like the day job, too and I come here to get away from that!

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Adam said:

The of re-indexing 40 odd pages and all the subsequent tidying up is something that doesn't fill me with joy. The reality of it is far too much like the day job, too and I come here to get away from that!

Mention of your “thread index” sent me on a mission to find it. I then had a quick skip through all 43 pages and, although I’ve been following since page one, I was still blown away by the amount of excellent modelling here. It makes my workbench thread look like I only started it last week!

Regards,

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Mention of your “thread index” sent me on a mission to find it. I then had a quick skip through all 43 pages and, although I’ve been following since page one, I was still blown away by the amount of excellent modelling here. It makes my workbench thread look like I only started it last week!

Regards,

David

Thank you! I hadn't realised that it represents the better part of ten years of modelling time and, more worryingly, six different addresses (such is the lot of an early career academic). We own the current one, however, so I might yet get around to building something to run some of them on...

Adam

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Adam said:

The thread index, by the by, is broken. I won't be updating it by the by as I've better things to do. Sorry about that - one of the consequences is that this thread is now less useful to me (I use it as an aide memoire for how I did things last time) so may not be updated regularly.

All best,

Adam

I hope you have your own copy, just in case...

1 minute ago, Coryton said:

I hope you have your own copy, just in case...

I have all the pictures (and the models, of course, but finding the wagon or loco in question? The web is quicker!) . 

Adam

I've made a start on something new, though it is (yet another) brake van. This one is an early LMS vehicle, heavily inspired by Midland thinking and derived from a Parkside kit. This will be modelled as M802, pictured at York in 1963:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/46498277551/

As you can see, it's piped rather than vacuum-braked (the brake pipe is white indicating that it's through-piped) and unlike the 'pure' Midland vehicles built by the LMS has a ducket and ends with the sheeting on the inside of the framework, a design feature probably discontinued owing to water ingress at a guess. The Parkside kit of course is for the slightly later dia. 1657: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbrakevan/h25187C05#h25187c05 [before the familiar longer-framed versions came in there was a final version of these vans with plate W irons and a 14' wheelbase - as opposed to the 12' here - for the LMS brakevan completist]  but the main modification needed is in reversing the ends so I started there.

LMS_013.jpg.491de538849c92709303d6c615b5b6a3.jpg

The new sheeting is scribed 20 thou'. For scribing I use the tip of a scalpel blade and a small engineer's square. Note that I cut the strip slightly over height and trimmed it down before fitting. As it turned out, I neglected the fact that the veranda screens on these earlier vans were lower. Here's what they initially looked like before I corrected them:

LMS_010.jpg.d18b0fc13dc69e887fc6579afeb875cd.jpg

A comparison between the dia. 1657 and whatever this diagram actually is this morning. The confusion over which diagram it is arises from the fact that Paul Bartlett ascribes a couple of different options, 1656 or 1658, to similar vans and I don't have the Essery books to hand to check (it doesn't much matter to me for the purposes of making a model from a fundamentally accurate kit and a good clear photo).

LMS_016.jpg.d6ca80a63e286dafef19338f189b908e.jpg

Note that, like Geoff Kent, I've added a bit 0f 10 thou' by 30 thou' strip to beef up the springs. The other thing - that I dimly recalled from reworking the earlier, unfitted van - is that the bearings need to be inset a fair way to ensure that the solebars are parallel when you put the wheels in. THIS IS IMPORTANT! A few twists of a 1/8" drill were needed and the flanges of the pinpoint bearings should be inset rather than proud or even flush to achieve free-running with this kit.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Adam changed the title to Adam's EM Workbench: An early LMS brake - M806

Below you should be able to see all the strapping that I've either taken off or added, as required for the conversion. For practicality this has all been done in 10 thou' which is a bit thick for the most part - so I'll leave it to harden off for a few days before sanding it back a touch. I guess it'll be handrails and lamp irons after that; I wonder whether I have sufficient brass angle to do the footsteps? Of course I don't...

LMS_018.jpg.a7650aeac9a188aed84079ba3ff5b4bf.jpg

And here it is the other way up with the brake gear installed (and safety loops still to be added) and quite a bit of lead sheet (I've used epoxy here because that way I could seal the lead as well as securing it in place - oxidation can make lead stuck in with superglue fall off...):

LMS_019.jpg.1b861d0bd92436bc74dc969341d956a8.jpg

Note that the brake linkages added in 0.3mm wire are slotted into hols and glued at each end - I drilled through the actuators with a 0.5mm drill and a very deep breath (first go, too! There's a spare on the sprue though). These don't get in the way of removing the wheels for painting and the safety loops will also, prototypically, just protect the yokes - these will be bent up using a bending jig from a Rumney Models etch and epoxied in place.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• Adam changed the title to Adam's EM Workbench: An early LMS brake, part 3

And here we go, a brake van with the defining visual feature, the footboards, now fitted:

LMS_020.jpg.d5b28f4bb8a1f7a8d8b9d7cc51bd2ebf.jpg

The footboards are knocked up from bits of scrap Nickel Silver with brass for the toe boards at the back. Fans of Captain Cock Up will be delighted to hear that now, just as the epoxy cures, he has made his presence felt and I have I FOUND a length of 3mm x 1mm angle ideal for the purpose. It's now ideal for some other purpose...

Adam

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Adam said:

Fans of Captain Cock Up will be delighted to hear that now, just as the epoxy cures, he has made his presence felt and I have I FOUND a length of 3mm x 1mm angle ideal for the purpose. It's now ideal for some other purpose...

Adam

Another one!!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

On 09/03/2019 at 07:37, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another one!!!

Mike.

Between dad and I we have (well, will have) five LMS vans. That's probably sufficient. If we're short of anything it's probably GW vans (I can live with this), though a BR unfitted would be nice and I have the makings of one of those and, and...

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Friendly/supportive 1