Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

Just passing through the paintshop, one pair of LMS brakes, early and late.

post-256-0-92711500-1518899089_thumb.jpg

The grey one has a coat of Precision early BR wagon grey on it; it will get another to make the most of the slight greenish tinge which is quite characteristic.

post-256-0-58694700-1518899084_thumb.jpg

The Bauxite van has been lurking at the bottom of a boxfile for years (erm, perhaps 10 years). It's Hornby with a Bill Bedford chassis - the new roof is out of the picture. Dad has modelled a very similar LMS van in like condition so to differentiate, I've left the solebars and headstocks bauxite which seems to have been reasonably common from photographic evidence. The hopper peeks in the right of shot - I've driven myself half-mad adding the vac' pipe from three bits of 0.7mm wire. Details later...

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 4

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of sorting the brake van backlog also, I've unearthed six in various stages of disrepair, why do brake vans seem to hunt in packs?

Mike.

Wish I knew - like the real railway, you can always have one more... I think I probably have sufficient by now; there's no more in the boxfile at any rate!

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wish I knew - like the real railway, you can always have one more... I think I probably have sufficient by now; there's no more in the boxfile at any rate!

Adam

They are a bit addictive, when you factor in the departmentals, so many to choose from!

Mike.

• Agree 1

Well. After nearly five years - I bought the kit when I started my current job - the dratted thing is near complete, barring buffers which will have to wait until I've opened up the holes in the buffer beams (and, perhaps, some new buffers - there's some nice sprung OLEOs supplied but I've no way of accessing the rear of the buffers at the brake cylinder end). As you may have gathered, I haven't especially enjoyed the process, but now it's all but done, some pictures.

post-256-0-97204400-1518973405_thumb.gif

The ladder, if anything, is the best designed element of the kit: the stiles fold up with sacrificial spacers which you can trim away once you've soldered the rungs in. Neat! As you can see, these also require twisting through 90 degrees to enable the things to be fixed per the real thing - superglue at the top, solder at the bottom. The end struts were also glued and soft-soldered.

post-256-0-34000200-1518973413_thumb.gif

The end result isn't at all bad but some of the materials choices - the (replaced) whitemetal headstocks were unusable, as was much of the brake gear. Quite why the hopper is provided without positive location is beyond me since the accuracy of the moulding was excellent. The non-fitted version, with push rod, 4 shoe brakes is probably a decent enough kit: I might built one, some day...

Adam

• Like 6

The new project has been glimpsed already. It's an early LMS fitted van to (I think) dia.1828 - if anyone happens to have the Essery LMS wagon books to hand, perhaps they could confirm for me? This features a clasp braked, vac' fitted chassis with vertical planked sides and early pattern corrugated ends, per this grounded example from Paul Bartlett's collections: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsvan/h2C7041F9#h2c7041f9

The body is from Cambrian (ref: C101 for the dia. 1832A) with the side strapping removed and boltheads added from cubes of 10 thou': 

post-256-0-51336900-1519556301_thumb.jpg

The chassis from Rumney Models and is very similar to the Derby type I built to go under the shock open featured in the pages of MRJ (nos 246-7). This example was a little under-etched but that didn't get in the way of what I was trying to do or my enjoyment of the process. Per my usual practise for short wheelbase 4 wheel wagons, I've built the thing rigid which speeds things up a bit and makes the process somewhat less fiddly.

post-256-0-08258000-1519556306_thumb.gif

post-256-0-33694400-1519556312_thumb.gif

Note the four holes intended for location of the various elements have been opened out to be used as fixing points (for small self-tapping screws). It's just about ready for the two bits to be fixed, permanently, together. First, however, metal black.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Adam - according to Essery and Morgan, the diagram 1828 had an all steel body with corrugated ends, and a 9 foot wheelbase.

10 foot wheelbase with a vertically planked body and early type corrugated ends were to diagram 1812, 1830 and 1808, with 1812 and 1830 being fitted. I haven’t found a picture yet.

And... I’ve just found my Essery. This confirms 1828 to be a wood-lined steel body, but still no photos... There are photos of 1808, 1812 and 1830, and (you’re not going to like this) whilst they have no external vertical or diagonal strapping on the sides, there are no external bolt heads. And on the curb rail, there are only the three external bolt heads to the left of the door as you look at the wagon. No external bolt heads on the right-hand curb rail (photos on pages 35, 36 and 37).

Hope that helps.

Adam - according to Essery and Morgan, the diagram 1828 had an all steel body with corrugated ends, and a 9 foot wheelbase.

10 foot wheelbase with a vertically planked body and early type corrugated ends were to diagram 1812, 1830 and 1808, with 1812 and 1830 being fitted. I haven’t found a picture yet.

And... I’ve just found my Essery. This confirms 1828 to be a wood-lined steel body, but still no photos... There are photos of 1808, 1812 and 1830, and (you’re not going to like this) whilst they have no external vertical or diagonal strapping on the sides, there are no external bolt heads. And on the curb rail, there are only the three external bolt heads to the left of the door as you look at the wagon. No external bolt heads on the right-hand curb rail (photos on pages 35, 36 and 37).

Hope that helps.

Howdo, 

The biggest issue, thus far, is that I'd put the lever guides in the wrong place (now resolved). I'm merely copying the photos and am kind of intrigued to find out what I've made! There's this:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsvan/e2c1514d1

Note the rust marks showing where the bolts are, both sides of the door and vertically, presumably indicating internal strapping which must have been present in some shape or form. It's much more visible on this example with horizontal planks:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsvan/h2C7041F9#h2f844784

Why the LMS did this when the body and framing of the inherited Midland design seems to have worked perfectly well is currently beyond me!

Adam

Well. After nearly five years - I bought the kit when I started my current job - the dratted thing is near complete, barring buffers which will have to wait until I've opened up the holes in the buffer beams (and, perhaps, some new buffers - there's some nice sprung OLEOs supplied but I've no way of accessing the rear of the buffers at the brake cylinder end). As you may have gathered, I haven't especially enjoyed the process, but now it's all but done, some pictures.

attachicon.gifIron_Ore_hopper_010.gif

The ladder, if anything, is the best designed element of the kit: the stiles fold up with sacrificial spacers which you can trim away once you've soldered the rungs in. Neat! As you can see, these also require twisting through 90 degrees to enable the things to be fixed per the real thing - superglue at the top, solder at the bottom. The end struts were also glued and soft-soldered.

attachicon.gifIron_Ore_hopper_011.gif

The end result isn't at all bad but some of the materials choices - the (replaced) whitemetal headstocks were unusable, as was much of the brake gear. Quite why the hopper is provided without positive location is beyond me since the accuracy of the moulding was excellent. The non-fitted version, with push rod, 4 shoe brakes is probably a decent enough kit: I might built one, some day...

Adam

Adam, didn’t these hunt in packs? You will have to build more then!

Tim T

Adam, didn’t these hunt in packs? You will have to build more then!

Tim T

Hahahahahaha. No. ;)

There were so many different types of iron ore hopper that the odd one off doesn't hurt which, since building this one was so - relatively - little fun means this will be a singleton, probably running in the midst of a rake of tipplers for which some excellent kits exist. I have quite a lot of these already and a couple more in prospect. The hopper is now painted though:

post-256-0-46571300-1519579033_thumb.gif

post-256-0-89323400-1519579041_thumb.gif

Railmatch rattlecan for the livery colour (BR Bauxite) with some more of the same sprayed into a jam jar lid to fill the gaps where the nozzle won't reach. There's currently quite a queue for finish painting/lettering/weathering, mostly for things that have been in gestation for years. This is really pleasing.

Adam

• Like 7

This Image might just muddy the waters?

DM14315

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61890-a-wagon-miscellany-at-aberdeen-ferryhill-in-1975/&do=findComment&comment=792241

Looks like the verticals were nailed and then stoppered before painting.

P

Seems likely - there's another one a post or two below: DM143374 - note the chalk board, presumably a retro-fit.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61890-a-wagon-miscellany-at-aberdeen-ferryhill-in-1975/?p=792248

Adam

Morton brake gear though.

P

Are you sure though? It's pretty murky down there but that's definitely a J hanger and I can't think of an example of a Morton-fitted wagon with J hanger springs. My thinking is that it's so dark, you simply can't see the brakeshoes.

Adam

Are you sure though? It's pretty murky down there but that's definitely a J hanger

Yep you're right.

Note to self:

"Look more thoroughly next time". (the excuse being I'm trying to do more than one thing at once).

p

• Like 1

An interesting build, thank you. Here is a crop from the pic referred to - I have lightened it and it does appear to show a J hanger.

attachicon.gif7-14-2009_071.JPG

... and it has an upright vacuum brake pipe. A post 1957 BR conversion would have a drop pipe.

These wagons don't have raised nuts (or bolts) to hold the boarding in place.

Paul

• Agree 1

Ok, so here's the van on its wheels and with the boltheads for internal strapping sanded back so they're more or less witness marks for weathering. Buffers on order and solebar to body brackets still to add but it's coming along very nicely, I think.

post-256-0-80092200-1519642391_thumb.jpg

Adam

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree it could be a D1808 (retrofitted), D1812 or D1830.

... and it has an upright vacuum brake pipe. A post 1957 BR conversion would have a drop pipe.

Plate 63 shows what is supposed to be a D1808, per the caption, converted to AVB and having an upright brake pipe. A captioning mistake?

Edited by 57xx

An interesting build, thank you. Here is a crop from the pic referred to - I have lightened it and it does appear to show a J hanger.

attachicon.gif7-14-2009_071.JPG

It definately shows a J hanger but equally as important it has 7 leaf springs. If it were a Morton brake chassis with conventional springs they would be 5 leaf. 

Justin

• Like 1