First Avenue

Rammy

Spent some time ballasting the remaining line last night. I have started work on the fencing that separates the depot from this line and added soil & grass to this area too. Never done any scenery before so had to guess how to do it! In the end I did it like ballast and it turned out ok.

4267d707.jpg

how did you put the posts in the ground, please PM me

The fence posts have a small rod on the end as standard so it was just a case of using a small drill bit to drill a hole, adding a drop of superglue, then inserting the posts. Make sure the drilled hole is exactly the same diameter as the post end as you don't want any slack or they will lean too much.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys!

Just to let you know I haven't disappeared and given up. The last couple of months have been taken up with some much needed DIY and I am very pleased to say it is nearly finished. Good job really as the weather has changed for the worse and the DIY was on the front of my house.

253dec9fb2d09903d3fbcfe2059b648d.jpg

Anyway, work continues on the shed for my layout. I have decided over the last couple of nights that I wasn't happy with my original plan to leave the windows blacked out, so have started to carefully cut them out. However I didn't want to take the easy option of sticking some OHP film onto the back, so I am cutting out some leftover 1mm thick acrylic sheet into window panes that will be inserted into the cutouts. Here's what it looks like at the moment:

20121015_230800.jpg

20121015_230859.jpg

Hopefully my brother (Englishman on here) will be designing the interior walls shortly that will be stuck in place. I also need to create the office that sits in one corner. The roof is printed off and ready for sticking onto board. I just need to decide whether to make some beams to support it using plastic I-beams.

I must really crack on with it now as I have also ordered a couple of bits from PH Designs. That could be fun as I have never attempted any etched stuff before!

Anyway, it's good to be back. Hopefully the next update will be a little more worthwhile.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Depots looking great, good job.

I've got an inspection platform waiting to be made up so if you have a talent for etched stuff I'll forward it on! I've been putting it off, I should really have a go. Good luck with your efforts..

Cheers

Scott

I decided to have a crack at my first ever etch kit tonight. I got the depot baskets and Mobile Inspection Platform from PH Designs, so thought I would start with the 'easier' kit of depot baskets.

After a couple of hours of head scratching trying to work out how to hold and bend these tiny bits, I managed to turn this:

20121017_212429.jpg

into this:

20121017_212344.jpg

I am quite pleased with the result saying it was my first attempt. I will spray it grey next before touching up with some rust and sleeper grime colours to weather it. 3 more to build and then onto the inspection platform, which I am now not looking forward to!

Dave

Good on you Dave, it looks like mission accomplished....I keep staring at the inspection platform, and considering putting the work out for tender! There is no way I'll be able to do it.

I've just ordered some baskets from abroad. I'll post the results when I'm done. They are wooden laser cut ones.

Cheers

Scott

Good on you Dave, it looks like mission accomplished....I keep staring at the inspection platform, and considering putting the work out for tender! There is no way I'll be able to do it.

I've just ordered some baskets from abroad. I'll post the results when I'm done. They are wooden laser cut ones.

Cheers

Scott

Wooden laser cut ones? They sound interesting. Let me know how you get on with that and where you found them.

Hi Dave. Good effort mate! I don't think my numpty hands could assemble that! Do you have a folding tool?

Guy

No folding tool Guy. I looked for one but they were quite expensive. I used pliers for the main basket and the wife's tweezers for the feet! My soldering skills weren't very good around the feet though so I think I will glue them on next time.

Blimey...talk about 0 gauge fingers and n gauge kit!!! Looks good tho :-) layout looking really good too.

Jack.

Thanks Jack

Hopefully build at least one more tomorrow now I know what I'm doing!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Those baskets are a bit fiddly to put together, but well worth the effort. I made some for Orchard Road.

I found folding over the double folds at the top a bit tricky and then fitting the feet weren't easy either. In the end, I tinned the inside of the foot, a dab of flux and then fitted the main basket into each foot and applied heat from the soldering iron.

• 2 weeks later...

Got all 4 baskets finished now. Sprayed them with grey primer and some sleeper grime to make them look old and dirty. I may add some rusty rail paint later to weather them a little more. I really must crack on with the depot and finish the concrete areas next!

20121031_132536.jpg

Dave

• 2 months later...

At last I have finally found a little time to get on with some work on the layout, or more precisely on the depot building.

I have finally finished cutting the small Perspex windows and fitting them. I wish I had never thought of that crazy idea! Anyway it's done now and worth it in the end I think. I have started building some girders support for inside the building which should hold the walls in square and will also help support the roof. These have been made using styrene I-beams. Tomorrow I will nip to Halfords to get an aerosol, probably yellow I am thinking, so they stand out from the white walls. I will then add a couple of internal walls at one end to create the office and then it's onto the roof.

Anyway here's a few pics of the progress. Not a lot, but at least I'm back at it.

20130105_204934.jpg

20130105_210723.jpg

20130105_210856.jpg

Dave

Archived