Hornby May/June Releases

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Oddly enough it is a part of the world I know slightly. In past times, when Deb's dad was alive, we would stay with ancient relations* in Alnwick, and a day out in the Borders was always on the cards. Deb also used to have a week trail-riding from a stables at Ferniehurst Mill, near Jedburgh. I could see how the romance of the Waverley Route might appeal to many - but the lovely countryside was never going to be a big earner for the railway, sadly.

EDIT * Their surname was Elliott - and the Elliotts were among the best of the Border Reivers!

I fully realise that one is 'Railroad' and the other 'has numerous detail parts' but I do find it difficult to make a comparison between the relative values of a newly tooled 4-6-2 tender loco at £76.99 and an 0-4-2T (which is basically several decades old) at £70.49blink.gif

I'd much rather praise than carp but I've often wondered over the years about pricing policies. Another thing about Tornado - lovely as it is, does it seem to anyone else be a 60s design with moulded handrails and boiler bands or is that just my fading eye sight, or is Hornby's image a proving model perhaps? I still like it a lot but the RR Flying Scotsman I saw in Antics is beautifully lined out and with separate handrails, very reasonable at sixty pounds. I'll readily apologise if its my squinting eyeballs getting it wrong. :blink:

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if it's been noted before (a quick search didn't find any mention) but I welcome the revised rear truck on the Princess.

RP

Well that's what it said on the Hornby website. The photos from Rails of Sheffield tell a different story!

Oh well.... never mind. Maybe next year?

RP

(edit)

Then again the Hornby page does suggest that there were 58 Princess Royals so perhaps the Hornby website is not the best source of information about Hornby products. (I hope this tone does nothing more than express a little disappointment)

• RMweb Premium

I'd much rather praise than carp but I've often wondered over the years about pricing policies. Another thing about Tornado - lovely as it is, does it seem to anyone else be a 60s design with moulded handrails and boiler bands or is that just my fading eye sight, or is Hornby's image a proving model perhaps? I still like it a lot but the RR Flying Scotsman I saw in Antics is beautifully lined out and with separate handrails, very reasonable at sixty pounds. I'll readily apologise if its my squinting eyeballs getting it wrong. :blink:

Steve.

I was under the impression that because Bachmann already do an authentic A1 class and a semi-autentic representation of Tornado (I say this because of the subtle differences between Tornado and the origional class), Hornby had decided that their model would be designed around retailing in the "railroad" range and therefore it lacks some of the finer detail normally featured by Hornby's main range of locomotives. Unlike others in the railroad range however a version is being produdced with the full lining and intricate livery details that are the norm for Hornbys mainstream products (as oposed to the simplified liveries found in the Railroad range).

• RMweb Premium

The Gatwick Express Class 73 has also now arrived. I have it sitting on my workbench in front of me and.... Oh dear... :negative:

For a starter:

1 - Black 'Lone Ranger' front cab window surrounds which should not be there.

2 - Light blue missing from lower part of cab side doors

3 - Gatwick Express fleet names in silver when they should be grey.

Now then...

1 - Easily fixed, the red used is a spot on match with Precision Paint P292. :victory:

2 - Need to mix some paint for this, again easily fixed.

3 - Liveable with for the time being until someone does some replacement transfers perhaps. At least the fleet names are the right size and in the right place.

In the meantime I just noticed comparing with prototype images of 73202 herself that the bottom edge of the cab window surround red is too low, however if I were to correct it then it highlights that there is something seriously wrong with the positioning of the cab windows in the original Lima body tooling, something I had not noticed up until now.

Annoyingly no one seems to do the etched nameplates for it yet.

The Gatwick Express Class 73 has also now arrived. I have it sitting on my workbench in front of me and.... Oh dear... :negative:

For a starter:

1 - Black 'Lone Ranger' front cab window surrounds which should not be there.

2 - Light blue missing from lower part of cab side doors

3 - Gatwick Express fleet names in silver when they should be grey.

Now then...

1 - Easily fixed, the red used is a spot on match with Precision Paint P292.

2 - Need to mix some paint for this, again easily fixed.

3 - Liveable with for the time being until someone does some replacement transfers perhaps. At least the fleet names are the right size and in the right place.

In the meantime I just noticed comparing with prototype images of 73202 herself that the bottom edge of the cab window surround red is too low, however if I were to correct it then it highlights that there is something seriously wrong with the positioning of the cab windows in the original Lima body tooling, something I had not noticed up until now.

Annoyingly no one seems to do the etched nameplates for it yet.

Yes I notice the first two things you said as well it is annoying really but I still get it and say its now a preserved ED :P

Edit: Just notice that the buffers need a silver paint job as well ;)

James

Archived