Hornby May/June Releases

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Hornby have changed the format of their monthly releases newsletter that month by month was getting progressively less and less in it.

Now we have a Bachmann stylee 'Items expected in the next thirty days' webpage which actually has some imminent arrivals on it, lots of them in face and it would appear that wallets are going to be heavily rummaged in the next month...

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-releases/?utm_campaign=Hornby_Newsletter_-_May_2011&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=CM_hornby

Put me down for a GatEx 73 please.... :yahoo:

Just OTA's are of interest to me. I noticed the RRP has went up. The EWS ones (that I have) were £15.49 RRP. The new ones are £16.49. I didn't really need the EWS, I have no loco's to pull them. I only got them incase the 1980's version never turned up. I'm no expert on wagons, but I do remember them being red in colour not sky blue/turquoise in colour. May be some one can clarify for me?

I did fancy a Tornado just for the sake of it, but don't like the railroads livery. They did announce earlier in the year that another livery would come out later on (we will see).

Mark

Guest Belgian

Nothing there I would buy. It's interesting to note an ingenious way of making it look as though there are more releases than there really are - look at R4479!

JE

• RMweb Gold

I fully realise that one is 'Railroad' and the other 'has numerous detail parts' but I do find it difficult to make a comparison between the relative values of a newly tooled 4-6-2 tender loco at £76.99 and an 0-4-2T (which is basically several decades old) at £70.49blink.gif

Sorry if it's been noted before (a quick search didn't find any mention) but I welcome the revised rear truck on the Princess.

RP

Hmm, have we had a couple of stealth upgrades or some overzealous cut'n'paste'ing from other things?

For the Class 73,

Special Features

• Sprung Buffers
  • Extensive Detail
  • Twin bogie drive
  • All-wheel pickups
  • Directional lighting
  • Working head/tail lights
  • NEM Couplings

And the Virgin Charter Relief set...

Special Features

• Sprung Buffers
  • Extensive Detail
  • All-wheel pickups
  • Directional lighting
  • Working head/tail lights
  • Non-working Pantograph
  • NEM Couplings

Whilst we know the 90 was getting a new motor bogie and becoming DCC ready, have they lumped in the features of the DVT with it? But the 73 looks a bit odd, particularly the bit about twin bogie drive and certainly at that price.

Yup, just had a look around some of Hornby's older locos, and it looks like someone has cut and paste the same description into just about every diesel that Hornby does :(

• RMweb Premium

Hornby also annoy me by using standard templates for their catalogue images which are just washed through a computer for the next issue of the model. If you look at many of the images used for ex Lima locos, they are all old Lima models complete with the pancake and associated Italian naff wiring visible through the windows!!!

I fully realise that one is 'Railroad' and the other 'has numerous detail parts' but I do find it difficult to make a comparison between the relative values of a newly tooled 4-6-2 tender loco at £76.99 and an 0-4-2T (which is basically several decades old) at £70.49blink.gif

I've said it before - I'll say it again - Hornby's pricing is supremely inconsistent.

£133.25 for a DCC ready A3 Pacific is extremely over the odds - but there again, Hornby's Gordon model (of Triang vintage) is £110.00, so which is worse...!

Genuine question - Brown Jack seems eagerly awaited, is it the loco itself or the particular combo of details (German deflectors and GN tender, if my 'research' is correct)?

Those two factors, plus the particular combination of boiler and washout plugs to contend with. It opens up a lot of name/number combinations that weren't available without switching tenders/bodyshells around.

Guest Max Stafford

This particular configuration finally allows creation of the last active A3 Ian, famous for ending its days slogging over Whitrope with big rakes of vans! :yes:

Dave.

This particular configuration finally allows creation of the last active A3 Ian, famous for ending its days slogging over Whitrope with big rakes of vans! :yes:

Dave.

Spot on Dave. The loss of Prince Palatine in the first week of 66 was a massive blow to the Scottish steam scene, yet all the same its amazing to think there were still V2s, A2s and A4s still active. That final glorious Summer was oh so bittersweet.

To come slightly back on topic, I was mightily impressed when Hornby announced a model of Coronach in this years catalogue - yet more appropriate traction for the Waverley route!

The only question that remains is when will we see Spearmint?!;)

Archived