Ever wanted that dream layout, but don't have the space?

gordon s

As a member of YMR, I came across this wonderful approach to modelling a large layout where you can run full size trains in any location.

Forget all those restrictions and limitations and I never want to hear, I'd love to have a large layout but just don't have the space. :rolleyes:

We all do, but you will need a welll thought out strategy before you start negotiations....

Are you brave enough?

In all my years of modelling, little surprises me, but this stopped me in my tracks. :blink:

Brainpr1, I salute you. If there was a prize for the most outrageous layout location this would win hands down.....

Come on guys. Are you brave enough?...........:D :D

Well what do you need to start?

A large terminus would be nice....

post-6950-0-03236900-1305355517_thumb.jpg

Now I need somewhere for the trains to go and it would be nice to have an out and back layout.

No problem at all. Just needs some lateral thinking.....:yes:

post-6950-0-86058400-1305355633_thumb.jpg

OK, so far so good, but the loop will take up a bit of room. Maybe I'll just have a chat with the wife? I'm sure she won't mind....

Great! That problem's solved then......:lol: :lol: :lol:

post-6950-0-77300200-1305355761_thumb.jpg

So let's hear no more winging and moaning about lack of space. It's there, you just need to be brave...:D :D

I'm planning something similar, currently waiting for my ex's remortgage to go through so I get the money for my half of the house then a little of the funds will go on finishing Ceeton, Starting Park Lane and potentially starting a 25ft long extravaganza.. Just gotta decide with that whether to do that in 2mm/N (my Tettenhall idea) or go completely mad and do it in 7mm (not sure where - LNER probably tho)...

How will the 25ft layout be similar? When setup it'll extend from the Fridge in my kitchen through to the wardrobe in my bedroom.. straight along the hallway for the length of the flat and forcing people to duck under it to use the kitchen and bathroom!!!

Let me remind you of the similar early Peter Denny layout, a fore runner to his famous Buckingham Branch.

It could be set up in a living room and dismantled into separate boards, each of the same size, that then stacked up to looked like a chest of draws or cabinette in the corner. The fiddle yard was one board which also acted as the rolling stock storage between running sessions.

It was a fiddle yard to teminus with a junction and branch line to a small branch terminus, which needed several people to operate it.

The only trouble with the above one is that it stops one from having a lie down when you get tired, I think I would provide a single, quickley removable track over the bed and kept the 3 track loop/fiddle yard/ train storage yard in the hall only?

How is the stock stored? Does it all have to be placed on the track each time?

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

When I met SWMBO I had a small terraced house and the layout filled one side of the dinigroom and partly into the kitchen area with just enough space between the layout and the back door to park my bike. In the front room my modelling desk took all the space under the stairs and stock was stored on the front windowsill. Needless to say the same arrangement wasn't allowed in the house which we bought when we got married.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

If you work in 0 gauge it is very hard explaining that you really need a room larger than any other in the house.

Don

It's even more of a problem when you start negotiations about downsizing and the question of "How much room do you need for modelmaking" comes up.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I've just shown this to my other half, and she wants me to give her the phone so she can ring her mum and ask if she can move back in...

That means you would then have the WHOLE house! Living in a bungalow would have advantages in that scenario.

Archived