Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Using Brake Fluid as paint stripper...

ive always used brake fluid, but didnt have any recently when I wanted to strip a brass loco body and id read that dettol can be used and as I had some I thought id give it a try, ..... no bad effects that I know of.

Don't try Dettol on a Heljan model.... Those of us on A.N.Other Forum have seen the results.... :O

• Like 1

I've used brake fluid "baths" in the past for stripping paint. Some older DOT types of fluid can react BADLY with some plastics - a Replica Railways coach comes to mind - it turned into almost molten plastic leaving perfect finger print impressions on the sides :angry: Modern fluids tend to be synthetic based so test a small area first. A safer option would be to use Precision Paints "Super Strip"

HTH

tractor_37260

This doesn't work on older enamels. It is also very expensive compared to brake fluid which does work on all paints I have tried it with.

• RMweb Premium

Halfords DOT4 brake fluid removes the paint very nicely from Airfix/Mainline/Dapol Mk2's and will remove the stripes on a IC liveried Lima Mk2 and 73, but doesn't appear to want to play with the light grey of the Lima Mk2 and 73, as well as the yellow end and dark grey roof of the 73.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

As someone who regularly reads the excellent advice this forum provides I thought I'd give some feedback on the brake fluid for removing paint.

I used for dot 4 to strip a Bachmann class 20 and it worked a treat. I put it in for a few hours and scrubbed with a good bristle toothbrush to remove any excess and washed with hot water and fairy liquid after.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37403 said:

.............and washed with hot water and fairy liquid after.

One word of caution regarding fairy liquid (if its the real deal) is that it may well contain lanolin (soft hands and all that...) which can affect paint adhesion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

If washing off, use the cheapest washing up liquid you can find. 

Then a quick rub over with IPA, ( not the beer type!), as a final degreaser. 

You'd be better off using the beer type of IPA rather than any type of washing up liquid.

Plain warm/tepid water in an ultrasonic cleaner, or toothbrush if you don't run to such luxuries, is perfectly adequate to de-clag a stripped body!

Mike.

• Agree 1