Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2011 Diorama Challenge Announced

Andy Y

My "Hockley Goods" has an edging of chamfered 3/4" timber outside the 20 x 11 base, these strips are removable (held by screws) and allow me to pick the thing up without, I hope, damaging the work in progress. Come judging time the edging will be removed,

I assume this is OK?

The next progress report will have the edging removed, as the proof of the pudding.....

• RMweb Premium

Challenges and I don't usually get on, committing publicly to a project usually heralds the kiss of death to all enthusiasm and therefore progress. However I'll give it a punt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With progress on my 1:6 scale model at an exhibition ( really need to think of a better name ) having stalled, I'm having a go at a second challenge entry.

SWMBO bought me the Ratio engine shed for father's day, so a suitable small corner of a BLT is being fabricated out of foamboard, on which said shed can nestle. Lots of scope for greenery and detrius, plus hopefully a useful stage for photography.

A thread & pics will be added tomorrow. (I also have ideas for a third attempt, more about which later).

The diorama should fit within a 20†x 11†footprint although it needn’t be that size or rectangular in shape. Scale doesn’t matter either; you could choose to do something in 7mm scale or larger for the first time or at the other extreme ‘T’ gauge or even smaller

I would just like to check and confirm another matter of criteria

Can this diorama be included as part of a larger layout?

I am about to start work on a diesel depot, which will contained within the empty space below

scenicarea08-800.jpg

No updates will take place on the website until the competition has closed

The diorama must be displayed on its own as an entry but of course you may include it in a larger layout after its completion. Good luck!

The photos I will supply will show the measurements, as per the rules, and only those dimensions

As you can see by the original photo, some of the area beyond the baseboards has been removed

The same method, although more extreme, would be used

• RMweb Gold

Today's silly dimensions question...

If I don't have any physical back or side scenes and use either photoshopped or real locations (ala Sandhills) instead, would that be allowed under the 20" x 11" x 11" rule ?

Ta

Stu

Have just realised I could cut a 20"x11" chunk out of my desk! It's covered in railway related items from magazines to half finished models, could be a still life along the lines of Tracey Emin!!!

Job done laugh.gif

Steven

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having just spent some time reading through the threads in this section, there are some stunning examples of modelling and an amazing variety of ideas.

I certainly don't envy the judges their job in October !

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy, probably a silly question, but with the maximum lengths of 20"x11"x11", is there also a minimum one?

The diorama should fit within a 20†x 11†footprint although it needn’t be that size...

It can be under the 20 x 11; yes.

wink.gif

(OK, so he doesn't specifically say whether there is a minimum [although why make life harder tongue.gif])

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Just to clarify (again!), you've said that control and power can fall outside the 20" x 11", but does the wires need to display the diorama have to fall with in the 20" x 11", or can the wires for internal lighting, for instance, run up the outside of the backscene?

Thanks in advance

Simon

I'm going to have to admit defeat before starting - my Z layout is going to take all my time and there's an exhibition deadline behind that. Sorry, I really wanted to join in! Maybe I can do a dio afterwards as light relief :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Challenge is open until 1st October 2011 at which point a list of completed entries submitted by that date will be published on 3rd November and voting will run until 3rd December and voted for online by RMweb and Model Rail readers based on the following criteria:

• Visual impact

• Prototypical interest

• Originality

Results will be published in Model Rail 164 and on RMweb. A progress report will feature in Model Rail prior to the closing date highlighting entries.

I'm guessing there will be a new sub-forum created for entrants to add their entries to, probably locked to prevent other members from adding comments.

Do the entries have to be on RMweb, or could they be added to an external website, with a link from the entry sub-forum ?

I ask as presentation of the entry (text, pictures, possibly videos) may be limited within the restrictions of the forum editiing software.

Stu