2011 Diorama Challenge Announced

Andy Y

She can moan when you're building it at the bottom of the bed :laugh:

It's not always the size, it's the quantity SWMBO can object to...

Or the price!!!

If it was a shoebox challenge then I could at least twenty as there are numerous boxes at the end of the bed with who knows what cost in them laugh1.gif

Steven

• Like 2

Is it OK to build something within the specified dimensions but on a larger board? I've got a larger board available and I'd like to add off-stage storage after the challenge is finished, so I'd rather not chop bits off if I can avoid it.

Quite a bit earlier in the thread I asked the same question. Unfortunately, no, you have to be able to show just the 20x11x11 part without anything else...

• Like 1

Does it have to have some form of motive power to display on it.? I'm thinking of something a little bit different for a spare micro-micro 'board' I have and obviously, trying to fit some sort of motive power on a 'board' with 180mm x 74mm dimensions will be tough. :laugh::blink:

are we supposed to keep people up to date with picture submissions etc?

If you can - it really help us to see progress and sometimes we can offer suggestions or help with problems, if they crop up.

It might also help when it comes to judging as we can see the progression made as well as the final outcome. Good luck.

Chances are that I'm in - something very different for me, but still giving me an opportunity to try out ideas for Windmill Street.

Shame my router broke whilst making the baseboard last weekend! :angry: But at least it's still under warranty.:rolleyes:

I've decided to take the plunge and join in. I have a few ideas in my mind at the moment. Talwrn Bach Halt (now Llanbedr) would nicely fit and one I have always fancied doing a diorama of. Cwm Prysor is another possibility. My main reason for joining is to use new materials and techniques.

I'm tempted, it might kick me out of my current modelling rut, especially as there'll be some light spring evenings (I live in backwards-season-land) towards the end of the challenge period.

But what to do? The most sensible thing would be to build a little something towards some of my "stock but no layout" interests. Which would suggest On30 (Dolly Varden?) in British Columbia, the Enoshima Dentetsu in Japanese N gauge, or something Dutch. That said, I did see a great black and white slide of a coal loading bin at a New Zealand hydraulic mine, which is pretty interesting and compact as well.

OK. back to the armchair for a little while to think about all this.

Will

Hi,

Just seeking clarification about the dimensions, again :tomato:

Is the thickness of Back / Side Scene boards included in the 20" x 11", or is it just the phyiscal area of scenery that has to fall in the dimensions?

Simon