Prototype pics- stations or routes, open & closed.

• RMweb Gold

In the slightly difficult position of my external hard-drive not talking to my new laptop I thought the best way to do things for now was to present links to previously uploaded pix on previous versions of the forum.

Duirinish, Plockton & Stromeferry.

a cycle trip from Keilder to Deadwater- literally straddling then crossing the border!

A small selection of Speyside stations

The following may have some Scottish or ex-Scottish shedded locos in and amongst them, but theres no garauntees, they are just pics from the 80's & early 90's my previous locale being close to the southern reaches of the Settle Carlisle line, several of these blue duffs and peaks would end up in Glasgow central at the end of their journey.

early 80's S&C and others

80's WCML leccies may be of interest

Thats it for now, will try find the rest of the piccies there is certainly a set of 37/4 shunting Oban in 1987 somewhere!

• RMweb Gold
I'll just lift a few of Russ' pics from the linked threads as a preview.

Cheers Jamie, if I can ever get the hard-drive to talk again I will reupload properly, a point I meant to make about the stations is that they are ideal for minimum space or simple layouts.

Hope also hope to add to them now a bit nearer, this years hols should be more speyside way and buchan area, and the Ballachullish branch is now our nearest sustrans trail! B)

in the meantime a few not so high-quality pics of Forsinard from 2004 (first digicam non too great!) one of my favourite far north stations, along with Helmsdale. We will call them 'record-shots'.

post-7-0-72708900-1305843545_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-46697500-1305843548_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-80846500-1305843551_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-59484200-1305843553_thumb.jpg

A couple of surviving examples of wood paneled North British station buildings taken a few years ago on the Peebles loop.

Cardrona:

DSCF2491.jpg

DSCF2488.jpg

Peebles:

DSCF2383.jpg

DSCF2385.jpg

...not actually sure this is part of Peebles station.

These styles remind me a lot of the Edinburgh Sub buildings and It's pretty hard to find good close up's of these windows, doors and panels as nearly everything's gone now.

Cheers

Andy

Nice Andy. Think I've been in that Peebles car park without spotting the railway building.

Some from another corner of the country now, the former GSW.

Just south of Chirmorie summit a couple of snaps of last year's GB3 railtour (following this yr's pics from Ben Alder)

post-6670-0-18105400-1306604897_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-31857900-1306604912_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-22850100-1306604924_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A couple of surviving examples of wood paneled North British station buildings taken a few years ago on the Peebles loop.

DSCF2385.jpg

...not actually sure this is part of Peebles station.

Andy

Hi Andy, this building was in the goods yard at the back. Its a nice survivor.

This 'wholeplate' print is probably from a period that is of little interest to most on this Forum, but I thought I would give it an airing, and to show some small contribution to the Group of my homeland.

The location given at the bottom LH side of the print is 'Perth, from BARKHILL, [ref. 246(1!) J.V.]' -

This equats basically to where Branklyn Garden is now, and it seems Barnhill Station in the 1860's.

There is plenty of detail visible on the original print, such as the signal lamps in lowered positions etc. It's much sharper.

The print was purchased by me some 30+ years ago at Hay-on-Wye Castle

at the same time as the frontispiece to Weddells ‘LSWR Carriages’ Vol 1.

This line is the Dundee to Perth, the following extract is from the Perth City official web site at http://www.perthcity...index.asp?pg=67

The first railway to reach Perth was the Dundee and Perth on 24 May 1847, to a terminus at Barnhill on the east side of the Tay.

Passengers had to cross the Tay by ferries or Perth Bridge to reach the city.

The Dundee railway declined to join the other three railway companies at the General Station after a wooden bridge was opened across the Tay. Instead its terminus was at Princes Street Station, although the tracks were constructed to take the line into the General Station.

Passengers had to walk or take carriages between the two stations to continue their journey until 1862, when the General Station was extended to include a station for the Dundee line.

The wooden bridge was replaced in 1862-3 by the present bridge.

Both bridges incorporated a swinging arch on the west side to allow navigation on the Tay by boats.

The swing arch was closed permanently around 1890.

I can see the swing bridge on the print, but whether it was permanently closed or not, I don't know.

Also I don't know if this is the NEW line over the Tay in 1862/3, it may well be,

as it was in the same collection of prints from that period I bought at Hay-on-Wye Castle.

Sorry about the horizontal scroll, evidently 1200 is to wide, or about right if there wasn't that gubbins near the top RH side.

EDIT - well on my PC from which I loaded this posting I have to scroll, but on this LapTop I am now using (another part of the house) all's OK, probably my screen settings........

OF COURSE, COPYRIGHT REMAINS WITH ME.

Alex Croall

post-6979-0-76014300-1306836686_thumb.jpg

This 'wholeplate' print is probably from a period that is of little interest to most on this Forum, but I thought I would give it an airing, and to show some small contribution to the Group of my homeland.

That is a most interesting picture, and one which I have never seen before -- I presume it is not anywhere in the public domain.

There are a number of photographs taken from about the same location, but all later, since they show early carriages or wagons on sidings more or less where the signal is in your picture. The track in your picture appears freshly ballasted, which might put the date just after the rebuilding of the bridge in 1864. Notice also the interesting early signal with but one (red) lamp glass, and the typical early Scottish mineral wagons.

The opening section never saw much use and was as you say permanently closed in about 1890. There has been some discussion in the Caledonian Railway Association about some undated photographs which seem to show gaps in the rails for the opening span.

Thank you for showing this.

Allan F

That is a most interesting picture, and one which I have never seen before -- I presume it is not anywhere in the public domain.

Unless somebody has the original glass neg, then this is the only known surviving print.

I did send a copy to Len Tavender many years ago for the wagons interest, but it appears there was nothing new there for him.

So, this is the first time it's been in the public domain.

I thought it deserved an airing somewhere that others are likely to be interested in it also, within my limited virtual world blink.gif.

Penlan

Really the key structure on the G&SW mainline, the spectacular Ballochmyle Viaduct is where the line crosses the River Ayr near the village of Catrine.

From high up the Ballochmyle Gorge

5796715815_7c026350cf_z.jpg

Ballochmyle Viaduct by South-by-Sou'West, on Flickr

and from down at the river:

5796716515_f39f174d33_z.jpg

River Ayr and viaduct by South-by-Sou'West, on Flickr

You never get a true sense of scale - from the river you see the height, but not really the span or extent. Whereas from higher up you don't see down to the river due to the tree cover.

None the less, a fantastic structure, and a nice riverside walk too. I'm not long back from taking a new lens for a test.

5796712607_bbabe6c168_z.jpg

River Ayr and Viaduct by South-by-Sou'West, on Flickr

Wonderful photo, and by my reckoning she has 13 on.

Although she's being assisted, it does show that heavy trains are not a preservation phenomenon, although the "Industry Insider" (presumably David Ward) in last months Steam Beano seems to think otherwise.

While, I'm at it, this 1970 pic of Polmadie is how I always remember my favourite train spotting haunt, many an afternoon after school this 11yo (in 1970) would stop at the foremen's office and ask if it was ok to go take numbers and in those days they always said yes. It was usually followed by tea in the signal box, and if you were lucky, we'd get to pull a few levers!...

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=31872

Angus

• RMweb Premium

While, I'm at it, this 1970 pic of Polmadie is how I always remember my favourite train spotting haunt, many an afternoon after school this 11yo (in 1970) would stop at the foremen's office and ask if it was ok to go take numbers and in those days they always said yes. It was usually followed by tea in the signal box, and if you were lucky, we'd get to pull a few levers!...

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=31872

Angus

Hi Angus,

Here is one I took in the early 1970s at Polmadie late one winter's afternoon.

Neil

post-7619-0-33632300-1308100789_thumb.jpg

Hi Angus,

Here is one I took in the early 1970s at Polmadie late one winter's afternoon.

Neil

Neil,

Great pic, thanks for sharing! At the time I felt the shed was essentially unchanged from its steam days, it would make a great layout if you had a lot of room, lol!

Angus

A few from some years ago.

First, North Berwick in August 1961:

post-1771-0-99069200-1308363928_thumb.jpg

Kyle of Lochalsh engine shed in August 1962:

post-1771-0-38725300-1308364006_thumb.jpg

and Aberfoyle station in early 1963:

post-1771-0-28413500-1308364043_thumb.jpg

Very interesting shots pH, Aberfoyle in particular.

A mini survey of Pitlochry on a sunny spring afternoon in April 1980.

post-3695-0-13866400-1308389452_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-02181500-1308389470_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-72937700-1308389460_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-67100300-1308389478_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-42133800-1308389487_thumb.jpg

and eventually my return train arrives...

post-3695-0-23805900-1308390021_thumb.jpg

47 197 with the 14.45 Inverness to Glasgow QS

Bruce

Archived