Prototype pics- stations or routes, open & closed.

Hello.

The picture from the Charlestown (spelling) branch is indeed looking towards RNAD Crombie. I lived in the adjacent village for a while, including the time that the photograph was taken.

The branch down to the old harbour at Charlestown had already been truncated by housing but served as a head shunt as trains would have to reverse to head down the track pictured to the Armaments Depot.

I used to walk along there from time to time in the late 1980s (as a child) and only once did I recall seeing wagons parked on the line, and never a moving train. They were vans but whether LWB VAA/VBA/VCA/VDA or the SWB VEA/VFA I don't recall.

Hope this helps,

David.

P.S. First post - forgive me if I've done something wrong.

Thanks for that David.

I lived for a few years on the South side of the River opposite Crombie - Bo'ness/Blackness and also visited RNAD Crombie a few times as part of my dayjob, but I can't remember noticing much of the railway line - I was always more interested in getting ashore!

• 3 weeks later...

The last posting brought this to mind. I know where it is -- it's at Muirhouse Junction (virtually opposite my bedroom window at the time). It's about 1961, and it's to do with the Cathcart Circle electrification. Incidentally the large brick building in the background is the old tram depot, later the Transport Museum, and now the Tramway Theatre. The open space to the right of the depot was where they wheeled old trams out and set fire to them!post-4979-0-68903100-1310428595_thumb.jpgpost-4979-0-69883200-1310428665_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested if anyone can give any information about the saloon.

Allan F

The last posting brought this to mind. I know where it is -- it's at Muirhouse Junction (virtually opposite my bedroom window at the time). It's about 1961, and it's to do with the Cathcart Circle electrification. Incidentally the large brick building in the background is the old tram depot, later the Transport Museum, and now the Tramway Theatre. The open space to the right of the depot was where they wheeled old trams out and set fire to them!post-4979-0-68903100-1310428595_thumb.jpgpost-4979-0-69883200-1310428665_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested if anyone can give any information about the saloon.

Allan F

I THINK THIS WAS ORIGINALLY INSPECTION SALOON FROM MANCHESTER, SHEFFIELD AND LINCOLN RLY WHICH LASTED LONG ENOUGH THRO LNER TIMES TO BECOME SC REGION SALOON NORTHERN DIVISION INTO EARLY 1960,S

PREVIOUS POST FROM MEMORY, JUST LOOKED IT UP. THERE'S CORRESPONDENCE ABOUT SAID VEHICLE IN OCT AND DEC 1961 RAILWAY WORLD MAGAZINE. SC972002 WAS ORIGINALLY G.N. RLY SALOON NO.2408 WITH 17 FIRST AND 12 THIRD CLASS SEATS. THE BODY WAS 60FT 1/2 INCH LONG,WEIGHT 11 TONS 19 1/2 CWT. BUILDING DATE UNKNOWN BUT ABOUT LATE 1890'S , HAS A CRAVENS BUILDERS PLATE AND IT WAS COVERED BY G.N.R DIAGRAM 1. IT WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE SOUTHERN SCOTTISH AREA ON DEC 1ST 1923 AND WAS USED AS AN INSPECTION SALOON AND WAS USUALLY KEPT AT QUEEN ST

THERE WAS ALSO SC 970113 INSPECTION SALOON KNOCKING ABOUT AT SAME TIME,POSSIBLY KEPT AT WAVERLEY. THIS WAS OF SIMILAR VINTAGE ,OF SIMILAR BUT NOT IDENTICAL APPEARANCE BUILT ABOUT SAME TIME AND AND WAS EX-GREAT CENTRAL DIRECTORS SALOON, ORIGINALLY M.S. AND L. RLY. GOT THE TWO CONFUSED FROM MEMORY, HOPE THIS HELPS.

PREVIOUS POST FROM MEMORY, JUST LOOKED IT UP. THERE'S CORRESPONDENCE ABOUT SAID VEHICLE IN OCT AND DEC 1961 RAILWAY WORLD MAGAZINE. SC972002 WAS ORIGINALLY G.N. RLY SALOON NO.2408 WITH 17 FIRST AND 12 THIRD CLASS SEATS. THE BODY WAS 60FT 1/2 INCH LONG,WEIGHT 11 TONS 19 1/2 CWT. BUILDING DATE UNKNOWN BUT ABOUT LATE 1890'S , HAS A CRAVENS BUILDERS PLATE AND IT WAS COVERED BY G.N.R DIAGRAM 1. IT WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE SOUTHERN SCOTTISH AREA ON DEC 1ST 1923 AND WAS USED AS AN INSPECTION SALOON AND WAS USUALLY KEPT AT QUEEN ST

Thank you for that information. I've been wondering about this vehicle for 50 years! Just a thought, is there a mistake in the weight? 11 tons seems rather light. The father of an old friend was a senior (perhaps the senior) Civil Engineer in Scottish Region at that time, and I've wondered if he might have been aboard. The team do appear to be lunching in style!

Allan F

Here's one of my holy grails, at last found a whole two pages dedicated to it. And that is the NBR 'Forth Bridge' direct Perth line. Some beautiful station shots, a great one taken from the front (or rear) of a DMU(?) leaving/ entering the northernmost Glenfarg tunnel showing the curve westwards towards Bridge of Earn, and an absolute money-shot of a 5-car Met-Cam in BFYE heading through closed Glenfarg station.

It's taken me over 30 years to find stuff of this quality, enjoy:

http://andycarr.net/page40.htm

http://andycarr.net/page41.htm

Thank you for that information. I've been wondering about this vehicle for 50 years! Just a thought, is there a mistake in the weight? 11 tons seems rather light. The father of an old friend was a senior (perhaps the senior) Civil Engineer in Scottish Region at that time, and I've wondered if he might have been aboard. The team do appear to be lunching in style!

Allan F

Sorry, looked at magazine again in daylight! weight was 31tons 19 1/2 cwt.

• RMweb Gold

Here's one of my holy grails, at last found a whole two pages dedicated to it. And that is the NBR 'Forth Bridge' direct Perth line. Some beautiful station shots, a great one taken from the front (or rear) of a DMU(?) leaving/ entering the northernmost Glenfarg tunnel showing the curve westwards towards Bridge of Earn, and an absolute money-shot of a 5-car Met-Cam in BFYE heading through closed Glenfarg station.

It's taken me over 30 years to find stuff of this quality, enjoy:

http://andycarr.net/page40.htm

http://andycarr.net/page41.htm

Super find, 'Chard. Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found this tonight, a 4 part film of BRS lorries with some fascinating scenes around Killin station.

Shifting 30 tons of cement by hand, twice a day, with 4 guys, no wonder they needed their steak and eggs!

Angus

John,

Killin has always struck me as a fascinating potential layout, with modern DCC you could even have realistic "run round" using the guards brake on your passenger trains......

The video suggested a surprisingly busy goods yard!

Angus

• RMweb Gold

Angus -

It did! That's not entirely inconsistent with some articles I've read about the branch, especially with the surge in "goods in" (shown in the video) associated with the Hydro scheme. Now, thanks to the video, I know what much of that traffic was. Many thanks!

I believe the "last train out" on closure of the branch included c.24+ wagons. Not bad for a 3-siding station with no loop, and (maybe) a maximum of 3-4 minerals on coaling stage duties down at Loch Tay.

As for the gravity run-around, I plan to use free-running pin-point carriage wheel bearings and gravity (i.e. model the 1:50 gradient through the platform) to assist, and a pair of vertically-acting axle retarders (driven off point motors) coming through the trackwork to "pin down" the brakes at either end. I saw something like this work well on a South-Wales based colliery layout many moons ago...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As for the gravity run-around, I plan to use free-running pin-point carriage wheel bearings and gravity (i.e. model the 1:50 gradient through the platform) to assist, and a pair of vertically-acting axle retarders (driven off point motors) coming through the trackwork to "pin down" the brakes at either end. I saw something like this work well on a South-Wales based colliery layout many moons ago...

Look at the High Level "Fly Shunter" chassis. This is a small chassis that fits inside a wagon body and is aimed at having a controlable wagon to fly shunt with. Or, if you are looking at doing this with coaches, one of their DMU motor bogies?

• 1 month later...

I hadn't come across these before either - only one word for them, stunning... the shots of Perth, Thornton, Millerhill yards, the details of 1960s station signs (check the neon sausage at Nairn!)... the PW stuff... the station details... it just goes on and on. Thank you very much for posting the link. Whoever saved them from the bin deserves a medal for services to anoraks :yes:

I don't suppose you took one looking straight onto the main building from the far platform, I have never seen a full view of that side?

No, sorry. By that time (post 1968), I had stopped taking photos of British Railways. That was a one-off.

Archived