RMweb

Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

Thanks guys!

I will certainly try some weathering - I may 'donate' the buildings from Ring Road for this purpose as practice, to see how it looks. Storage yard entrance will be blacked out and covered, but thats a long way off yet!

Making N Brass signals this afternoon, very fiddly but very impressive

David

Finished by Christmas, easily.

I really don't know how you do it David, creating such stunning layouts in such a short space of time! I'm 2 odd years into mine and still haven't laid track!

Looks fantastic.

Ross

Thanks all!

Ross, you'll have to come have a play soon! And it may look like fast progress, but there's still a heck of a lot of blank baseboard to fill!

Road signs are quite simple to do - download the PDF from direct.gov here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/Signsandmarkings/index.htm , add Transport font to your graphics package, screen grab, then alter the signs to match your location.

David

I shall take you up on that offer at some point very soon David! I'm back at Uni on Monday so i'll only be a 15 minute odd walk away from your place during the week!

And although that road sign hint wasn't aimed at me that will prove very useful!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to update today as I'm still not 100% after this double virus. Nasty thing won't go away, so been under the weather for a month now.

I have managed to do a few little bits and pieces though, the first signal is on, and a couple of the OHLE gantries have been made up (and temporarily blutacked to the track to test positions). I've also nearly completed the next building - based on one just round the corner from my flat here in Bournemouth, and suitably named Dorset House on the layout.

The separate parts haven't been glued together yet, and it needs 'bedding' into the scene properly with street furniture and signs, but its coming out okay so far.

post-6666-0-92289300-1317909078_thumb.jpg

I've also re-wired the tram line, so here's a pair of videos to show it on the move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3a2MGxzzE&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwqFdu0fyAQ&hd=1

Waiting for my A1 to return from Farish's service team, then I can have a go at running a steam special!

David

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather (especially with a double virus!). I had a double illness last year that put me out of commission for 4 months. It was good layout planning time though!

As always, your work is truly inspirational. In fact I have been designing buildings (albeit quite different ones) for my layouts based on your technique. As with everyone else I am always stunned at the rate construction you manage to achieve.

One thing that dawned on me when I saw the Museum of Industry was that you could follow Manchester's museum a bit more and put a nice exotic piece of rolling stock in the window!

Get well soon!

Edited by SNCF stephen

Is the museum of industry going to have an EM2 in it like the real one?

Having lived near that part of Manchester for a few months, even though you haven't modelled an actual location, you've certainly caught the atmosphere of the place.

A quick update - still under the weather, but planning on having a half day finishing up some pressing items for the layout on Saturday, completing the viaduct sides, bridge, and the OHLE and signals (assuming I have the energy and patience). This will get the layout ready to be put away in the cupboard (for the first time!), as work demands over Christmas mean I won't have much time or energy to do significant work on the layout. I will be making more buildings though, so in the new year I can have a sudden leap forward again.

This evening, I have made a start on the next building though, and this is one that will evolve in each update as it is quite a complicated beast. Modern in style, it starts with first section like this:

post-6666-0-54951600-1318535015_thumb.jpg

With a well known retailer on the ground floor:

post-6666-0-60249100-1318534984_thumb.jpg

Next step is building a near identical second wing, and then move on to the upper floors...

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This man must be stopped. He puts us all to shame

On a more serious note, what thickness card are you using? I am mocking up some buildings at the moment but still struggling to settle on the actual card to use for the final models. I have mount board which always seems to thick and a pile of card from the backs of A4 note pads which seems just slightly to bendy.

Look forward to seeing this leap forward again once the work chaos of the coming months has subsided.

Thanks Pirouets,

I use standard 2mm mounting board for the structure, but the printed surface is simply cheap A4 card that runs through the printer. I used to use WHSmith's card, but despite still claiming it is 240gsm, its actually changed and is now too thick to go round the printer. I've switched to a pack of A4 card sold in The Range, but any card about 200gsm will do fine.

I've done a bit more to the next building, this is the smaller half complete, now need to do the second wing and the entrance atrium.

David

post-6666-0-96277000-1318689342_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-12937700-1318689369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And here we are, the completed building!

post-6666-0-99823600-1319017063_thumb.jpg

This is the most 'imagined' building on the layout so far, not especially based on any one particular location, though the overall shape comes from some buildings in Birmingham, and was designed purely to introduce some other building materials (and colour) into the scene other than the red brick proliferating through this imaginary city!

There are still 7 buildings to construct before street signs and cars etc can be added, but with 7 buildings now made, it may feel like I'm half-way through, but as most of these have been half-relief constructions, actually there's a lot more to do with 5 being full-relief:

1. Palace Theatre (the next building, probably the most complex after the hotel)

2. Glass corner building

3. Pub opposite station

4. Georgian corner building

5. 1950s extension to the above

6. 1960's office block

7. 1970's office block

Then there's the building site and the station to do, then onto more detailed scenic work.

David

• Like 2

Bit slow? Understatement of the century... You've gone from nothing more than plans, to a fairly well advanced scenic layout in about 6 months! It's taken me that long just to finalise a plan and wire up some point motors!

New building looks fantastic, the Costa and Sainsbury's fit very well.

Ross

Hi mate

Got to say this Layout is coming along really good. Love the Photos and all of the Modern Image is the way forward in modelling and best of all we living it right now, so all generations young and old can relate & accepted the modelling world that we live in.

Love the Street Metro line, ... GREAT

Keep the photos coming their great.

Jamie

Cruel enlargement time! Here are a couple of photos of the station platform details under construction.

post-6666-0-70569100-1319391055_thumb.jpg

This shows the area around the stairwell entrance to the island platform, with drinks and chocolate machines, and a passenger staring up at the departure screens.

post-6666-0-56192700-1319391083_thumb.jpg

Further along the platform, some clocks have appeared, and the station canopy is in need of repair (I've deliberately modelled some of the valance having come off, exposing the structure underneath. At the end of the canopy will be a ladder, some cones, and a couple of workman with some paint - the impression is that this station is finally having a bit of tarting up after being somewhat run down).

Lots more details to add, especially after I've raided the BHE stand at the Poole model show in a few weeks!

David

• Like 1

That looks absolutely brilliant, how did you end up making the departure screens?

I shall hopefully be at the Poole show as well, new venue this year so should be interesting to see how they fit everything in!

Just a quick thought, have you considered adding a short extension to the platform behind the backscene to help disguise the end? I know the photos are rather cruel close-ups, but it does look a bit odd seeing the platform end so abruptly.

Ross

Hi Ross, I'd forgotten the show had moved, ta for reminding me!

The whole backscene cut off has yet to be finished - there's an extra slice of backscene to go on lined up with the platform, then behind it will be painted black and then covered with a roof, so you shouldn't see anything beyond. Agreed it looks a bit odd at the mo.

Departure screens are print outs stuck onto spare bits of plastic I found in my bits box. Clocks are the same, only on card backing.

David