Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Glad I mentioned it then! I only remembered I was free for it when you mentioned in the first place!

Fair enough on the backscene, I wasn't quite sure on your plans for it. Way I was thinking with the platform extension was kind of like how that Welsh layout next to us at the Wimborne show did things, with extra scenery behind the tunnel mouths to make it look like the line carried on, rather than just disappearing into a bizarre dimension comprised entirely of plywood!

I'll definitely be using that kind of method for departure screens on my station.

Will hopefully bump in to you at the Poole show, and I'll get you over to mine once track has been laid on Winterbourne Sellers, which should be very soon!

Ross

Final shot of the day's work - lineside ducting has appeared, OHLE is now 90% complete, and with the remaining signals under construction this evening, the scenic trackwork will be pretty much completed tomorrow.

Next jobs:

Finish detailing platforms

Build Palace Theatre

Scenic area to the front of the viaduct

David

post-6666-0-79298400-1319485766_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Easy answer to that - at present there is no fiddle yard! The track simply loops round at the moment, but as funds allow more point purchasing, there will eventually be 10 storage tracks of various lengths, longest I think fits a loco plus 6 coaches. Most of the time, stock running will be freights and DMUs/EMUs, so the expresses are a bit of fun, as really too long to fit (I ran my Pendolino earlier, it was almost the length of the layout!).

David

Its sort of 'off the WCML' - Oxford Road ish, lots of freight avoiding the city centre, and busy commuter traffic with DMUs and 350s/321s, and the occasional diverted WCML service. I am tempted by the Dapol Virgin HST set - a bit 'historical' now, but it would look good passing through the station I think.

The location is very vague though - while based on Manchester, the station is in London Midland colours, and the local TOCs are going to be a mix of Central/London Midland, ATW, and maybe a bit of Northern. In my mind, this is a mix of Birmingham and Manchester (called Maningham on the road signs) and geographically located between the two, so north wales traffic meets midlands meets north west.

Update today, signals are on, and trackwork is pretty much complete for now.

Back to making buildings!

David

post-6666-0-06474600-1319567752_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The theatre is coming on today - still needs a roof and some architectural details to cap it off (I need some pre-made finials for this), so there is a lot of light bleed inside that won't show when completed.

I based this on Dorchester Brewery. The whole area by the station is being redeveloped, and there is a fascinating 1:150th scale architectural model on display (I drool over such things), and so anyone familiar with the place will recognise this fairly easily.

And having been to see Shrek! The Musical in London last night, I decided what better show to be on than a touring version!

David

post-6666-0-36116900-1319825644_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-63673100-1319825678_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-76069300-1319825710_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow! The layouts looking great so far! Great work!

The Theatre looks fantastic! Shreck is on tour I see! Perhaps every so often you could even also change and rotate the signs, as if another show has come to town.

Thanks guys!

I've reached a natural pause point with the layout now, and having completely re-organised my storage cupboards this week (after a handy trip to Ikea), the layout is now away for a while. It all fits neatly into the dining room cupboard.

post-6666-0-05555000-1319985805_thumb.jpg

Unless my wayward Tornado returns from Farish in the meantime, the next time the board will be out will be the day of the Poole show, as I should be able to pick up all the station details I need to finish that area of the layout.

Until then, I've measured the 'plots' for the next 4 buildings, and so can be making steady progress with these. I'm expecting these to take a while though, as they are full relief, and will need basic interiors. I'm also going to be highly critical of them as they will be in the foreground and need to be even better than the buildings I have already made.

Yesterday I went down to visit my parents, and saw my Dad's new N gauge layout for the first time. There's a lot of detailing work to do yet, but I'm posting a photo here just to show yet again how much you can fit into a small space in N - this board is the same dimensions as Cross St, just with a very different location and era!

David

post-6666-0-43176100-1319985821_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well I seem to be doing my usual thing and moving forward far quicker than I intended. The set of 4 buildings to go behind the viaduct were supposed to be a long term project to keep me occupied over Christmas when I don't have much time for modelling due to work. Given I wanted each building to take about 2 weeks each (to spread the enjoyment over a full 8 weeks), the first one has been completed in 3 days(!).

This is part of the 'super detailed' set of buildings that are full relief, so although something like the hotel was very complicated to build, it is only 3 sides with no interior floors. This one, although you will never see the back, needed to be a solid 4 sided construction.

I started designing the elevations as always, printing the final images onto thin card 3 times, cutting them out and building up the layers to give some relief detail. Edges are run over with a felt tip pen, and the image is printed a 4th time onto OHP acetate to create the windows.

post-6666-0-22889800-1320326255_thumb.jpg

The basic wall sides can then be glued together and floors added. As the windows on this building are quite small, I decided to just use plain mounting card, as there isn't enough light inside to see whats in there. For buildings with larger glazing, I tend to add simple floor designs, and walls if needed. This building is viewed from the 'back', the brick side facing, and as it is so close to the viaduct, I've deliberately omitted the windows from the lower floors. If you can't see them, why spend that time cutting them out? It does make it look a bit odd in these photos, but makes sense when on the layout behind the viaduct.

post-6666-0-73303800-1320326292_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-43371100-1320326329_thumb.jpg

The roof is then added - this one is quite complex as it has a sunken area for all the plant machinery. The building is closely based on one in Manchester that is next to the viaduct at Oxford Road, but has moved positions relative to the hotel.

post-6666-0-63112300-1320326364_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-48338400-1320326430_thumb.jpg

One side of the building will have a grimy alleyway filled with bins and other rubbish, and there are drainpipes and gutters to be added to complete this side. I have also added a brass air-conditioning unit on the wall.

post-6666-0-28151100-1320326397_thumb.jpg

And this is the road side - the short wall will be visible alongside the bridge by the station, but the longer frontage will never actually be seen, so is a shortcut - a single layer of the design, no relief, and roughly made.

post-6666-0-26357500-1320326460_thumb.jpg

So there we are, almost complete, now just needs adding to the layout and extra ground detail added.

Next up will be a fairly high-rise office block

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks brilliant there Mr! Wish I'd put gresby in the city centre now :( I used to have my Sunday Morning coffee in the starbucks near Oxford Road, and it really captures the feel of that part of town :D

Keep up the good work!

Simon

Thanks both,

Funny thing is, I never set out to be fast at all! I suppose its down to how I use my time - this is my only 'practical' hobby, and having the layout easily accessible in the flat, means an hour here, an hour there, gives me enough time to get on with things.

Its also well-planned in my head. I know what I want, so I don't have to stop and think what's next.

David

"Well I seem to be doing my usual thing and moving forward far quicker than I intended... "

Yes, your pace of work sometimes astounds me David, and always with excellent results :)

This last set of pictures in particular have really demonstrated your eye for getting a sense of historic setting right, it all feels very authentic - and I do like the 'moody' sky you've chosen for your backdrop too - it's very atmospheric.

Always top marks from me :)

Edited by Southernboy