Welcome!

trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Morning, well I have models of US and Canadian although currently no layout but a pile of Santa Fe and BNSF stock and some more Canadian Pacific after the recent trip ;) oh and a smattering of Pennsy steam.

I should also declare DRGW narrow gauge I suppose :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the invitation.

I think my interest in North American trains probably started with watching too many "cowboy" films in the 1950s but I only started modelling them in the last decade. Interests include New England narrow gauge, the Ma & Pa and basically any odd looking locomotives (steam or diesel)

I'ma member of the Thamesiders NMRA BR group which gives an opportunity to run my short Ma & Pa trains on a big layout.

I'm off to Leytonstone today so I should enjoy seeing the American layouts (and also the German ones!)

Tony

Thanks for the invite Pete. I don't actually model the US at all, at the moment, but hang out with a few guys that do ;) I keep getting tempted though, I daren't look at O scale US stuff :lol: and that Fostoria webcam is so damn inspiring...

I'm flattered to be asked, to be in such distinguished company as Sweethome , F-unit Mad, and the chief haggis herder, amongst others. Still have my "Handbook of American Locomotives" purchased in about 1957.

Not sure how much I'll be contributing, because I want to build form scratch, literally from plain raw materials. Hope in due course to be something like a useful contributor.

Thanks, Pete.

Dennis

Hi and thanks to Pete for starting the Group, I'm flattered to be invited to join such distinguished (& productive) company.

My modelling interests mainly centre on CP Rail and New England roads although I basically just like trains. Currently, I'm converting my trainset, Wheelock Mill, to DCC and sound-chipping a couple of Atlas Alcos.

I like Pete & Jack's definition of our "patch" - plenty of scope for interesting modelling.

All the best

Nick

We're all equal here.

Don't forget that there are plenty of guitarists who are "better" technically than Eric Clapton but 'Ric can reach more hearts with one sustained note than anyone else (it's all in the vibrato).

Thanks for joining.

Best, Pete.

I'm in,

CSX/Conrail but too much time on Ebay so now UP,BNSF,NS as well.

Still working with Pete Harvey on replacement bogies for walthers Amfleet lead sleds, Mk 2 version should be on its way soon

Fred

I'm primarily interested in New York rail-marine roads and Guilford, but like the wierd and wonderful from all over. One of the things I like about the US is that the 'pick up goods' is still alive and well and although many lineside industries have closed over the year, they still exist in large quanities and so I have a prediliction for shortlines and locals, the huge fast freights of the class 1s don't do it for me so much.

I'm currently considering a multi diorama style layout of Guilford's Lowell Hill branch in H0, but don't really have the room. I've also been very slowly building a layout based on the NYCH in Lego!

I've been dabbling with the US for a while now, but have decided to move to the next step.

I have a varied collection of US locos ranging from a Decapod, to Alco RS-1s, a Baldwin DRS and a FM Trainmaster.

I really like the whole notion that modern shortlines are still plentiful with many exciting prototypes in existence, where everything is not just monotone drag freights of containers or minerals. I am particularly interested in doing a layout based somewhat on the sugar cane movements down in Florida or a freelanced bio-fuels centre.

I will eventually start that layout.. ;)

Jack

Many thanks for the invite Pete - took me a while to actually be able to join due to Internet Explorer not playing the game! Thank goodness for Google Chrome!

Looking forward to contributing to the banter and content.

Jez

First, thanks for inviting me to this group! My main interests are the Boston & Maine and the East Broad Top, along with the LMS.

I'm primarily interested in New York rail-marine roads and Guilford, but like the wierd and wonderful from all over. One of the things I like about the US is that the 'pick up goods' is still alive and well and although many lineside industries have closed over the year, they still exist in large quanities and so I have a prediliction for shortlines and locals, the huge fast freights of the class 1s don't do it for me so much.

I'm currently considering a multi diorama style layout of Guilford's Lowell Hill branch in H0, but don't really have the room. I've also been very slowly building a layout based on the NYCH in Lego!

Wow! I grew up a short drive from Lawrence, MA, and spent a lot of time railfanning around the freight yard. Somewhere I have a bunch of B&W photos (taken as part of a photography class) from the footbridge over the south throat of the yard. I never would have imagined someone from the UK was interested in modelling that branch!

Ok...so i just found out about this crew from another post in the overseas group.....from Montreal and I model CN/CP dureing the late 50's- early 60's steam to diesel era. I've just recently started to develop an interest in Boston&Maine and the Vermont roads so I guess this is one of the places for me

Cheers

Gene

Welcome, Gene!

Has anyone had any difficulty joining this Group? I've heard from a couple that actually had invites but were unable to click on "Join". Who else suffered from this but got around it?

I've reported it to Andy.

Best, Pete.

Well I am in. As some of you know I am actively involved in UK diesel modelling (see links at bottom) but am being drawn in by The Power Of The Dark Side. Call me Anakin now but in a few months it could well be Darth! Originally the plan was CP. Then we went to Burnaby/Vancouver and BNSF/CN/CP/Amtrak/West Coast etc all went flying past and I lost it. LAst year dragged Mrs B to the Donner (on way back from Ski holiday) now I have a fleet of yellow things and a few bloody nosed grey ones too. Where will it end? :help:

You know, from here on the wonderful land of the Western Atlantic Shoreline (Long Island, NY - the part with the wonky Gulf Stream sector), you folks are usually considered the 'Dark Side' :blink:. (Well, that appellation may actually be reserved for Marklin collectors and their funky studded tracks). That, and the fact that British N gauge is 7.5% larger than Standard N gauge! I understand the whole British Loading gauge, but dudes, this wasn't the steam powered 1920s and OOvsHO, this was the go-go 1960s - Space shots, Electronic Digital Computers, Ampex Video Tape & Philips Compact Tape Cassettes, Raquel Welch miniaturized and injected into some scientist's veins - come on, you could have shrunk those motors down!

Anyway, on a serioius note (hopefully the Dark Side mem has been laid to rest), I believe both Canada and Mexico (as well as the US) should indeed be included in this group thanks to NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) - after all, Kansas City Southern has extensive rail holdings in Mexico, and Canada Pacific and Canada National own a lot of everything else - you really have to include them (even back in the 1950s freight cars would be interchanged across borders). Defining it as under NAFTA would also exclude France (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), which is always useful.

I guess I also should have joined a few days ago, would have saved Pete some work...

I've also been very slowly building a layout based on the NYCH in Lego!
Actually that looks rather good, is there anything Lego can't do?

Archived