Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

And another slightly better one...

Good work Roy, haven't seen one in the flesh but I believe this was a Heritage N casting, that possibly was obtained from somewhere else. I remember reading about the history of the model somewhere.

I believe they were regarded as quite a rough casting but looks like you've done a decent job with it.

Can I ask where you got a decal sheet with the Route Availability number included? I'm in the middle of the finishing touches to an kitbuilt A1 and I just notice your model has the RA9 on the cabside.

Good work Roy, haven't seen one in the flesh but I believe this was a Heritage N casting, that possibly was obtained from somewhere else. I remember reading about the history of the model somewhere.

I believe they were regarded as quite a rough casting but looks like you've done a decent job with it.

Can I ask where you got a decal sheet with the Route Availability number included? I'm in the middle of the finishing touches to an kitbuilt A1 and I just notice your model has the RA9 on the cabside.

Hi MHB

Thank you. I was a bit disappointed with the photo to be honest, I think it looks somewhat better "In the flesh".

Luckily the resin castings I had were reasonable and not too much work to make acceptable apart from the chimney which was only fit for the bin - I made a replacement out of laminated plastikard, a drill and a lot of filing!

The decals are all NGS "Modelmaster". Four individual elements make up the cabside lining, each applied seperately, The tender is similar but eight elements each side - the test is to get them all straight and true! The "60532" is a complete decal cut from a sheet Modelmaster (Again NGS) do for ex-LNER large locos. The "RA9" is an individual trasfer (miniscule!) provided with another NGS pack - I cant remember which one now, I will have a look when I am in my modelling room later. !t took a lot of cursing and teasing with a scalpel to get into position!

Cheers

Roy

HI MHB

Just checked, The transfer set containing the Route Availabilities (And Power Classifications) is NGS 2004 (IMMT04) - description - 30 Prs of Cabside numbers for ex-LNER 4-6-2's, V2's W1's and B1's.

Cheers

Roy

• Like 1

HI MHB

Just checked, The transfer set containing the Route Availabilities (And Power Classifications) is NGS 2004 (IMMT04) - description - 30 Prs of Cabside numbers for ex-LNER 4-6-2's, V2's W1's and B1's.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks Roy, that's useful to know. I never expected to see Route Availability markings in N to be honest.

Guest Max Stafford

I've got this one but it's going to have an identity change to 65331 and have a tender cab applied.

I should do this sooner rather than later...

Dave.

post-6676-0-13155700-1325889316.jpg

• Like 2

Very yummy Dave! :D

I think I'll be spending alot more time in this part of RMweb after our chat earlier Dave........will be coming up to the Waverley this Spring!

I've got this one but it's going to have an identity change to 65331 and have a tender cab applied.

I should do this sooner rather than later...

Dave.

you could do 65330 as this loco was also a Hawick based loco for a time like 65331. the j36 that i made up is number 65331 at the moment but will be getting changed to 65330 before the glasgow show.

ex NBR J36 No 65331

Another project 99% finished but just not quite, however I'll post it here and hopefully next time she'll be seen in my actual layout thread in active service.

She's been a long time coming, and was built from a Foxhunter models kit (not the reason for the loco choice).

Possibly not a regular on the route, but being Copley Hill I'm using the my layout rule, but maybe someone can advise of her appearance between Carlisle and Edinburgh, the odds must be quite high.

The actual loco choice is based on the fact a family friend owns one of the original Foxhunter plates and so it seemed the right thing to do. Ultimate aim is to get a picture of the two together.

Only gripe is the cabside number position which had to become a bit squised to fit above the makers plate but below the lining, doesn't look too bad I think but its not right.

One smokedefelctor still on workbench as for some reason it reacted to the varnish, nothing else did other than a few bodyside bits here and there but I don't think it looks anything other than weathering.

progress110112006.jpg

progress110112008.jpg

• Like 4

Well, here's a photo of her at Kingmoor. There are others on Railscot of her at Leeds and Gateshead, and she was a regular in Edinburgh. I can give you a more definitive yes or no later.

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=30658

Good man 'Chard.

On what basis do you say she was an EH regular? I've scanned all the known image locations (flickr, photobucket, google images, railscot) and have quite a few pictures but none north of the border.

Another project 99% finished but just not quite, however I'll post it here and hopefully next time she'll be seen in my actual layout thread in active service.

She's been a long time coming, and was built from a Foxhunter models kit (not the reason for the loco choice).

Possibly not a regular on the route, but being Copley Hill I'm using the my layout rule, but maybe someone can advise of her appearance between Carlisle and Edinburgh, the odds must be quite high.

The actual loco choice is based on the fact a family friend owns one of the original Foxhunter plates and so it seemed the right thing to do. Ultimate aim is to get a picture of the two together.

Only gripe is the cabside number position which had to become a bit squised to fit above the makers plate but below the lining, doesn't look too bad I think but its not right.

One smokedefelctor still on workbench as for some reason it reacted to the varnish, nothing else did other than a few bodyside bits here and there but I don't think it looks anything other than weathering.

Hi MHB

A really lovely job you've done there!

Regards

Roy

Thanks Roy, very kind you to say. I started this about 18months maybe even 2 years ago, long before there was ever a hint of a Farish A1.

The chassis obviously lets the overall characteristic of the model down, as does the chassis on Farish A3/A4s but other than that I'm happy with her.

I like the fact I can have a realistic (or what I hope is realistic) coal load unlike the Farish one, that's the only place I'm scoring points!!

Did you ever manage to get Blue Peter plates for your '532?

Guest Max Stafford

Good man 'Chard.

On what basis do you say she was an EH regular? I've scanned all the known image locations (flickr, photobucket, google images, railscot) and have quite a few pictures but none north of the border.

It's fair to say she could have reached Edinburgh by two, possibly three routes. She could have deputised for a failed '45 or come up on an ex- Leeds relief via the WR or ECML, most likely through the summer months.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Ian.

Please excuse my ignorance as I appear to have missed something that's probably obvious to everyone else, but what are these stories you speak of? I would like to know more!

Dave.

Good man 'Chard.

Just confirming, belatedly, that Foxhunter

did work over the WR.

• Like 1

Ian.

Please excuse my ignorance as I appear to have missed something that's probably obvious to everyone else, but what are these stories you speak of? I would like to know more!

Dave.

You've missed nothing, Dave. I'm a retired English teacher, and I always promised myself when I retired I'd build a model railway and write a collection of autobiographical short stories based on my childhood

in the back streets of Leeds. I got the first three and a half written last winter, then the model railway just kind of took over......... :) , which is fine by me.

One of the stories includes a bit where, having found a stray puppy at 4am scratching at the door of the outside toilet, I took it for a walk down to Copley Hill and Foxhunter roared out of Leeds in the almost-dark with an early morning train for the south. Only 9 at the time, and not something you forget...........

Ian

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

A nice memory that, and a little friend to keep you company too! We'll look forward to reading more in due course!

Perhaps it was Foxhunter passing by in spirit form to say hello to you on Thursday afternoon! :mosking:

Dave.

• Like 1

A nice memory that, and a little friend to keep you company too! We'll look forward to reading more in due course!

Perhaps it was Foxhunter passing by in spirit form to say hello to you on Thursday afternoon! :mosking:

Dave.

Maybe so...it certainly rattled the conservatory roof and windows....................

So nice to see a model of Foxhunter; I used to see her regularly, and she features in one of my stories!!

And a great job you've made of her too, if I might say so.

Ian

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

Just confirming, belatedly, that Foxhunter

did work over the WR.

jobs a good'un.

cheers for the legwork 'Chard. Much appreciated.

Thanks Roy, very kind you to say. I started this about 18months maybe even 2 years ago, long before there was ever a hint of a Farish A1.

The chassis obviously lets the overall characteristic of the model down, as does the chassis on Farish A3/A4s but other than that I'm happy with her.

I like the fact I can have a realistic (or what I hope is realistic) coal load unlike the Farish one, that's the only place I'm scoring points!!

Did you ever manage to get Blue Peter plates for your '532?

Hi MHB

Still waiting for Blue Peter's plates sadly, but to be fair the gent at Modelmaster did say it could be a few weeks.

In the meantime, having acquired a second Farish "Oliver Bury" from "The Signal Box" in a sale for £69.99 plus postage, after an afternoon's work in my modelling room,today there is now (at least) a second convert to 61244 "Strang Steel".

Looking back at your lovely model earlier in the thread I noticed you have included electrification "flashes". Have you any info as to when these were added? Looking at the pic below: -

http://www.railbrit....c=St%20Boswells

There do not appear to be any on the front of the loco as far as I can see, so it looks like must be post 1962?

I need to decide wheter to add them and also how much I weather the loco (if I do).

Cheers

Roy

Edited by Roy L S