Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

RE A3

Front etch will not fit if using Hornby wheels. As I wanted to keep the lined LNER wheels I never used them after a trial fit. The reversing rods and ashpan lever are excellent. Both are much better than the Hornby oversize fittings.

Some other very small parts which I never bothered with as Hornby parts are already good enough .

RE A4

Used on my Black Sir Charles Newton unvalenced version.

Front etch fitted after a bit of filing as not a perfect fit , a lot of plastic has not be cut from the mountings for the Hornby chassis front for them to be used. This works ok with Gibson bogie wheels, I also left a larger gap above the wheels than as designed using the etch.

Rear footplate supports to wide for body not used

Reversing lever no means of fitting to body not used.

Ashpan lever appeared a real pain to fit not used as very little difference to the Hornby part. Same design as A3 part so will be used on one on my A3's.

Again some tiny parts not used or Hornby parts good enough for me.

Overall .

Re A3 if you have missing reversing rods /ashpan levers ,as I had on some of my NRM A3 bought off ebay very worth buying. I also made use of one set for those parts on my A2/2 build shown above earlier.

Re A4 front etch hardy visible when fitted, some parts poor size and/or no obvious way to fit. I wont use again.

Instructions are at times confusing :paint: :nono: :stinker: and could be written much better with bigger photos please !!

Many thanks for your honest opinion, it sounds as though they are not worth the time and effort for so little change in the locos appearance.

Thank again.

Regards

David

• Like 1

That's a great picture! Looks like 3 Mk1's, 4 assorted short wheelbase vans and is that a 4 wheel CCT at the rear?

Got to be worth trying to replicate:)

There is a larger and better quality copy of this picture in David Cross' Last Years of the Waverley Route on page 46.

Chard does that still look like a fish van at the back? I'm not sure if that CCT is painted Maroon or Green though!

Guest Max Stafford

Definitely not green Dave. All the standard CCTs were turned out in maroon. I'm pretty certain it's a standard from the appearance.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Looks like we're at cross purposes, Dave. That is indeed a CCT, but of Southern design (but nevertheless adopted early in nationalisation as a standard type and seen everywhere). Post 1956, they were all painted green to the best of my knowledge.

The vehicle seen at the rear of that train though is the BR Standard 1957 steel sided design, all of which were painted maroon.

Here's one still around today in the later blue scheme.

http://www.cs.vintag...fo.asp?Ref=3375

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

Since I've added nothing here for a while, here's recently re-fettled Hornby rebuilt Patriot no. 45530 as seen in December 1965 when she saw out her days in glorious style hauling a Millerhill-Kingmoor transfer over Whitrope in conditions comparable to today's!

post-6676-0-39781900-1323119775.jpg

post-6676-0-07988000-1323119994.jpg

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 8

Very well executed that Dave, I have one of the Hornby models awaiting the same treatment of '65 condition on the 'to do' pile....

Out of interest, is the yellow cabside stripe a transfer or painted on? If it's a transfer who produce them, I have been searching but to no avail!

Cheers

Chris

Looks like we're at cross purposes, Dave. That is indeed a CCT, but of Southern design (but nevertheless adopted early in nationalisation as a standard type and seen everywhere). Post 1956, they were all painted green to the best of my knowledge.

The vehicle seen at the rear of that train though is the BR Standard 1957 steel sided design, all of which were painted maroon.

Here's one still around today in the later blue scheme.

http://www.cs.vintag...fo.asp?Ref=3375

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for my learning opportunity of the day. I didn't know that there was a BR standard CCT, so I can see how all of the BR standards were maroon.

Thanks for clarifying and enlightening!

Cheers

Dave

Can I be excused for posting an unfinished model.....

The superb Dapol class 26 model deserves an airing....

A few modifications other than the renumber, TPM oval buffers with painted shank adds a wee it extra.

Road dirt all along the underframe, but like my previous class 47 I've not quite got the nerve to rattle in and weather the roof. Happy with underframes, not roofs for some reason. I would like to get myself an airbrush but with all these lovely new N gauge models its hard work on the old bank balance :O

Still needs the front end pipework and then she'll be put to work..... more pictures to come on my layout thread in due course I'm sure.

progress061211012.jpg

• Like 3

Very well executed that Dave, I have one of the Hornby models awaiting the same treatment of '65 condition on the 'to do' pile....

Out of interest, is the yellow cabside stripe a transfer or painted on? If it's a transfer who produce them, I have been searching but to no avail!

Cheers

Chris

Fox Transfer certainly do them in 2mm so I'd expect they had them in 4mm as well.

Can I be excused for posting an unfinished model.....

The superb Dapol class 26 model deserves an airing....

A few modifications other than the renumber, TPM oval buffers with painted shank adds a wee it extra.

Road dirt all along the underframe, but like my previous class 47 I've not quite got the nerve to rattle in and weather the roof. Happy with underframes, not roofs for some reason. I would like to get myself an airbrush but with all these lovely new N gauge models its hard work on the old bank balance :O

Still needs the front end pipework and then she'll be put to work..... more pictures to come on my layout thread in due course I'm sure.

progress061211012.jpg

Oooh .. wow! You caught me off guard :O

That's fantastic, takes me back a few years that does ... thanks ever so much for renumbering as D5310 and for posting the photo!

Oooh .. wow! You caught me off guard :O

That's fantastic, takes me back a few years that does ... thanks ever so much for renumbering as D5310 and for posting the photo!

My pleasure, I needed to settle on a 64B identity and yours was a remarkable response when you casually threw in the "12 inch/foot" statement it just had to be D5310

More pictures when she's finished and in service too on the layout...

• Like 1

Attention N gauge WR modellers!

Stand by for a wallet bashing... Dapol will have green 26s at Warley and have announced a new A3 and A4 to be in the shops for Christmas. What with Farish's recent A1 and J39s, Standard 5s and Mickeys on the way too (and rumours about a possible A2) it could be a very merry Christmas time...

Cheers

Dave

The mention of Peppercorn A2's a while back caused me to finally dig out a part finished N Gauge resin kit (Make I cannot recall) I had put to one side last weekend. The basic painting had been done, and the reason I left it was that I was not totally happy with the finish of the resin body. However as I had a chassis for it kicking around I thought I may as well finish it.

Thus far the loco is lined, but that got me to pondering on a suitable prototype. It was to have been 60532 "Blue Peter" but as I cannot find the nameplates I bought for it a few years ago anywhere :scratchhead: the canvas is now blank. So, to those more knowledgeable than I a few questions if I may: -

1) What would be a suitable prototype for Late Crest (say 1957-63) regularly seen on the line.

2) I planned to give it Express Passenger Headcode and apply a rather nice etched "The Waverley" headboard I have - it there a realistic prospect that an A2 would have hauled the train during that period?

3) Longest train my little layout could realistically take would be 7 coaches - would it be possible to repersent "The Waverley" within that and what would a likely train consist of coaches wise?

Any thoughts/opinions most gratefully received.

Roy

Thus far the loco is lined, but that got me to pondering on a suitable prototype. It was to have been 60532 "Blue Peter" but as I cannot find the nameplates I bought for it a few years ago anywhere :scratchhead: the canvas is now blank. So, to those more knowledgeable than I a few questions if I may: -

2) I planned to give it Express Passenger Headcode and apply a rather nice etched "The Waverley" headboard I have - it there a realistic prospect that an A2 would have hauled the train during that period?

Roy

A couple of possibilities:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=25130

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=30904

Edited by pH

Hi Ph

Those are two fantastic pictures - thank you..

However I have just come to realise that my options are even more limited than I thought.

My A2 has a double-chimney :-(

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ph

Those are two fantastic pictures - thank you..

However I have just come to realise that my options are even more limited than I thought.

My A2 has a double-chimney :-(

Roy

Well here it is, Finished but for now minus nameplates which are on order from Modelmaster which may be a few weeks as apparently he is re-doing the artwork for the etch to make it finer..

Substituting for a failed Peak on the Up "Waverley" 60532 "Blue Peter" approaches Whitrope Cabin..

Roy

post-4469-0-93596700-1325195697_thumb.jpg

Well here it is, Finished but for now minus nameplates which are on order from Modelmaster which may be a few weeks as apparently he is re-doing the artwork for the etch to make it finer..

Substituting for a failed Peak on the Up "Waverley" 60532 "Blue Peter" approaches Whitrope Cabin..

Roy

And another slightly better one...

post-4469-0-27686100-1325196010_thumb.jpg

• Like 3