3rd off Hornby coaches

David C

Just popped into Modelzone in the Glades in Bromley and lots of Hornby coaches are heavily reduced to £21-£22. Varieties I noticed were Maunsells in red/cream and Southern malachite livery and Hawksworths in maroon - there may be others that I didn't spot. These prices are even lower than the traditional box shifters - all the more surprising since Modelzone prices are usually very high.

Don't know if the same reductions are available in other branches, but it might be worth checking out.

David C

• RMweb Premium

There are great bargains at all the Modelzone stores (and through their website) - I just picked up a crimson/cream Hawksworth CK at the Guildford Branch for £22.99. There are plenty of Pullmans as well as the coaches already mentioned, and lots of locos too - one of the Clans is on sale for £79.99.

Spent a frustrating time in my local Modelzone today - asked if they had the Hawksworth passenger brake R4409 in stock. Yes - one. So together with an assistant the shelf was stripped but no sign of it - begs the question why they put them all on the shelves with frontage facing outwards - the shelves are deep enough to do a front row like that for display and the rest stacked up with labelled end visible so its a simple case of just moving a few boxes to see the rest. Or is that just a peculiarity of that branch.

• RMweb Premium

Spent a frustrating time in my local Modelzone today - asked if they had the Hawksworth passenger brake R4409 in stock. Yes - one. So together with an assistant the shelf was stripped but no sign of it - begs the question why they put them all on the shelves with frontage facing outwards - the shelves are deep enough to do a front row like that for display and the rest stacked up with labelled end visible so its a simple case of just moving a few boxes to see the rest. Or is that just a peculiarity of that branch.

Ian Allan in Brum has it's Bachmann wagon display like that - about 4 deep by 4 high, there's a lot of boxes to shift to find out what they actually have in stock!

Modelzone in Brum has plenty of Hornby Pullmans at £29.99 instead of £41.99 and quite a few discounted locos as well.

Keith

Glasgow has some Hawksworths @£22.90. I could only see Maroon ones. As other have pointed out the method of display is such that there could have been some crimson and cream ones there - I just didn't spot it.

Lots of Maunsels both Crimson & Cream and Green @ £21.95. I can't imagine there's a huge demand for them in Scotland, you do wonder why they had so many of them in the first place?

Bargains on locos too. I think there was a Clan @£89.

And while not Modelzone , D&F in Glasgow had the Saltire Scotrail 156 @£50, which I reckon is a much more suitable price than the £80 they were being sold at before, for something that really should be in the Railroad range.

Overall though the impression I'm picking up is that stock is not moving - hence the deep discounting

• RMweb Premium

Before anyone gets too excited, just had a look on their website and there were 21 pages in their Hornby + Sale section, but after about page 13 or so all the items were showing 'sold out online' - including the Clan for £79.99! Maybe you might have more luck in a local MZ shop.

• RMweb Gold

Just visited Modelzone in Reading and have come away with 'Ince Castle' for £79.99. In stock were 3 different GW 2-8-0s at £82.99 (which I'm led to believe is little different from the trade price from Hornby), loads of Maunsells at either £21.99 or £19.99 depending on version/livery, Pullmans also there at £29.99 plus substantial reductions on various other Hornby locos including large amounts off DCC sound Black 5s. 'Sharp discounting' seems not to be limited to model railway items but runs over the wider range of products except what are clearly recent arrivals in stock.

While this sort of thing is great for those with the money to spend, and what they want is on the shelves, at these sort of discounts I do wonder if it bodes ill in other ways. This sort of discounting is a very reminiscent of what took place in Trents (a Reading area small chain of toy & model shops) years ago and what also took place at Beatties (who had taken over the remains of Trents as it happened) - both companies subsequently collapsed. There are trade rumours about Modelzone (subject of a management buyout in 2009 arranged to include longer term growth financing from Lloyds Development Capital) but even if they are no more than rumour what might be bought at Modelzone will not be bought from some other retailer with a clear longer term commitment to our hobby (I only bought that 'Castle' because it was so cheap - it doesn't affect my purchase plans elsewhere for this year but others might not be able to afford that luxury in these straitened times).

So is this sort of rock bottom discounting going to do more harm than good I wonder?

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is you get carried away. Just picked up another Hawksworth saving £7, then it dawned on me , still paying more than I normally do for a Bachmann Mk 1 ! Its the old case of thinking how much you are saving rather than how much you are spending!

Archived