Peco Code 83 track

I just did a quick check and Micro-Mark are selling left and right ME Code 83 turnouts for $20.95 each - but no Code 70 turnouts or track! Btw I had another look it is implied they are Code 83......... Micro-Mark are usually a reliable source........I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is, either.

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

Something that doesn't seem to be covered in this thread, how prototypical is the track? are the ties the right length? How good is the spike representation? Are there regional/company/period differences in track design (of the weight of track the Peco code 83 represents) that are obvious and if so does the Peco track represent some better than others?

I have a fair amount of knowledge of UK track differences; sleeper length, chair type, fabricated/cast crossing, sleeper arangement in turnouts, sleeper spacing and size at rail joints, etc. but not of US prototype so I would't know if it was right or not.

All

Both of the NMRA groups I'm involved with specify PECO Code 83 as the standard track for their respective modules. Of the group that has a fully working set up the layout has to be set up and dropped again after each operating session and has also been carted to a number of exhibitions over the year. In all that time we have no problems with the either track or points coming adrift either via use or transit 'bumps'.

On the question of board joints then I would say that it's highly adviable to fix rail ends with something more solid than plastic chairs - my pref is PCB sleepers glued & Screwed to the baseboard or as an alternate soldering to small brass screws.

The key to operating performance is having a relable baseboard desk and underlay (which is an entirely different can of worms!) as a base for your chosen system. I've learn from bitter experience that cutting corners on this will come back to bite you in the bum reagrdless of what track you have

Dan Spalding

Something that doesn't seem to be covered in this thread, how prototypical is the track? are the ties the right length? How good is the spike representation? Are there regional/company/period differences in track design (of the weight of track the Peco code 83 represents) that are obvious and if so does the Peco track represent some better than others?

I have a fair amount of knowledge of UK track differences; sleeper length, chair type, fabricated/cast crossing, sleeper arangement in turnouts, sleeper spacing and size at rail joints, etc. but not of US prototype so I would't know if it was right or not.

Hi Tim,

Peco Code 83 is based upon 130 lb per yard FB rail and is therefore a standard 'heavyweight' rail in common use on the major U.S. and some Canadian routes from the early 1950s.

The rail is carried in finely moulded spikes (which are quite delicate and need careful handling) on ties measuring 30mm in length. They equate to the 'standard' U.S. tie of 7 ins. x 9 ins. x 8 ft. 6 ins. and the word 'standard' is in quotation marks as some roads used different lengths of ties and others 6 ins. x 8 ins. timbers, etc.. On the solid sections of the Peco web, the ties are set on near 5.5mm centers, which equates to about 21 ins. / 20 ins., or between 3020 / 3168 ties per mile. Again this compares pretty accurately to the 'standard' or average number of ties per mile, on a Class 1 North American road, although many roads use an even closer spacing on heavily used sections of track.

After I started, the U.S. Prototype Track and Formation dimensions thread, I quickly discovered that there is/was no absolute 'standard' as such, for U.S. track. Each Railroad will use a particular set of track specifications and dimensions to satisfy the traffic demands and the terrain to be traversed.  However, 130 lb rail is a pretty universal weight and that's probably why Peco chose it. However, the rail is certainly a bit on the 'heavy' side for short-lines and sidings, but by tweaking the tie spacing and over-ballasting, who is going to know? (Only the 'experts'!).

I've been informed that the geometry of the Peco track is also reasonably accurate and I think that the Code 83 will satisfy most situations for those modelling North American railways from the 1950s steam-diesel transition period right up to the present day operations.  Hope this helps.

All the best,

John.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to re-activate this thread (for purely selfish reasons).

My cousin over here wants me to lay the trackwork for a shunting plank (I'll probably try the NS / BR & W interchange to see if it is interesting, at first) so I want to try the Peco Code 83 BUT with the Insulfrog points/turnouts for ease of wiring.

The last time I used insulfrog was back in the '70's..............is it possible to get them to look reasonable with the use of painting/weathering? How to get rid of the plastic look on rail? I think Jez used them.

Cheers, Pete.

I've not tried it, but I would think using Humbrol 'Metalcote' paint and then burnishing (which you can do with the 'Metalcote' paints would produce a fairly realistic look. Paint could then be sealed with a varnish to improve longevity. Not sure which colour would be best, they do a range including 'steel' which, logically, one would expect to be the most suitable. I don't know if Humbrol paints are available in the US, although mail order would always be possible.

Steel

The c83 insulfrogs *don't* have a huge plastic frog like the insulfrogs of old, the area of plastic is quite small.

Beat me to it, Martyn...

I've not long laid some Code 83 in my loft, with Insulfrog points (cheaper off Ebay!!) and the 'dead' section is really very small.

You don't say if the layout is to be DC or DCC, but one thing worth doing is 'hardwiring' the points so that electrical continuity isn't reliant on the point blades alone. This loses the "self-isolating" feature of course, no probs for DCC (indeed desirable) but worth bearing in mind if using more than one loco with DC.

Sorry, that may be a "granny/egg sucking" moment... :scratchhead:

Thanks, Steve. I had concerns that "metallic" paints might be conducive.........

Btw is that your layout of Fairmont, Morgantown & Pittsburgh Railroad in December's Model Railroader?

Best, Pete.

Actually Pete, I think you are correct, 'Metalcote' does have metal particles in suspension. I think that is why it can be burnished. However, if coated with a varnish afterwards, that shouldn't be a problem. Re the layout in MR. No that is not me. Must be another Steve W. There are a lot of us about!

Steve

Yes, i'd second Jordan's hardwiring comments, the electrical contacts aren't that great out of the box - on the plus side it's designed to accept the extra connections you need to add (underneath - so add them before laying the track!)

Although why Peco didn't supply it that way and make it properly ready to use is beyond me! ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Planing a new switching layout and thinking of using peco code 83 track,instead of my usual code 100

has anyone got any feedback good or bad

Going to glasgow show friday,thought if there was any good deals on code 83 would pick some up

Would like to use the no 8 points but i think they will be a bit big,has anyone used the no 5 with success, i like to get things in store well in advance,so they will be there when i'm ready to start the project

cheers

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

Hi Ray

You might find this useful

http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=pointplans

I am using code 83 track on my latest layout

https://kaleyyard.wordpress.com/

I like it!

It is easy to work with and easy to obtain - I buy mine through Model Junction of Slough, their service is quick and they seem to carry the full range.

The wooden sleepered track and turnouts look good.

I only have one issue, the sleeper spacing of their code 83 concrete sleepered track is too wide - the same spacing as their OO code 75 streamline track. The pandrol clip detail is excellent so I am prepared to live with the compromise.

All my locos run through the pointwork smoothly and I even have a four wheel trackmoile that runs through insulfrog points without stalling.

Trevor

Archived