Peco Code 83 track

Hi all

Planing a new switching layout and thinking of using peco code 83 track,instead of my usual code 100

has anyone got any feedback good or bad

Going to glasgow show friday,thought if there was any good deals on code 83 would pick some up

Would like to use the no 8 points but i think they will be a bit big,has anyone used the no 5 with success, i like to get things in store well in advance,so they will be there when i'm ready to start the project

cheers

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

I have used it on my current shunting plank and have been very impressed. The flexible track is easy to work with and the spike detail is pretty good. The modified insulfrog turnouts I use work very well (I have electrically bonded the stock and switching rails on each turnout). I also run stock with both normal and semi-scale wheelsets with no problems. IMHO if you can get away with using #6 turnouts they do look better, though #5s are great fine if space is limited. Finally as stated above it is relatively easy to get hold of.

Cheers

Chris M

Another vote for code 83 here. The tie sizes and spacing make a huge difference visually.

We've used it on Menasha with great success - #6s on the main, #5 in the yard. I have recently come across a couple of Intermountain hoppers that object to the #5s - the wheels catch on the hopper bottom. Everything else negotiates them without problems.

It's a teensy bit more delicate than the usual Code 100 suspects, especially the wooden-tie flexitrack, where the spikes are extremely fine mouldings, but handle it with care and it's great - definitely has a completely different 'look' to it than UK/EU-outline track, as you'd expect. There are also some slight accuracy issues with the turnouts, I seem to recall, but I suppose it depends on just how pedantic about track accuracy one is whether it offends or not....

I've used Peco 83 on my shunting plank, except for the short diamond crossing which is a peco 75 but you cant notice it too much. In code 83 Peco only did the long crossing and there is also a 90 degree crossing but neither of these was right for my plan.

The track itself looks good and is easy to use and is very DCC freindly, I've used No.6 turnouts with electrofrogs.

• RMweb Gold

Ray

I used the code 83 track on 'roundhouse' and after six years of exhibitions it's still as good as new and to me it looks far better than the Peco code 100 or code 75 on a USA layout. Just wish it had been available when I built Fort Myers. One mll issue is that the blade tie bar doesn't have the standard lug to attach a Peco surface mount solenoid base to it as I found out when I decided to try and motorise the hand operated turnout in the fiddle yard.

Ian

Hi all

Planing a new switching layout and thinking of using peco code 83 track,instead of my usual code 100

has anyone got any feedback good or bad

Going to glasgow show friday,thought if there was any good deals on code 83 would pick some up

Would like to use the no 8 points but i think they will be a bit big,has anyone used the no 5 with success, i like to get things in store well in advance,so they will be there when i'm ready to start the project

cheers

Ray

HI Ray

Peco will be at Modelrail Scotland and i do know Bob the track designer will be there, so he's the man to question as well as Steve.

Regards Arran

We use it on RS Tower and our modules, excepting a couple of locations (a custom built diamond, and some Shinohara/Walthers 3-way/scissors) although we did staging in c75 as it's a bit cheaper and when we started building it c83 curved points were not available which we needed.

It is a little more fragile than c100 although nice and solid once it's installed

It looks pretty good

Hardwiring the points I think is a must.

We've had no problems with stock compatibility, most of ours are #5 in the yard, #6 elsewhere, but we have a pair of the #8s as a main line crossover, which looks superb.

Oh heck!!....looks like I'm in the minority as my new plank that I'm working on (NY terminal freight yard ,a variation on on Shortliner Jack's 'Box Street' ..... and some where to run me boxcab on at last :good: ) uses Peco code 75. I have used code 83 in the past but thought 75 was more appropriate for a decrepit back street yard.........stock runs on it absolutely brillo :D

Cheers guys for all the feedback

will have to re-measure for #8's there over 12",would love to use them,can live with #6 at 9" will play about with my track plan

next up insulfrog or electrofrog

not thinking of using point motors, maybe bike spokes or something like that, trying to keep the wiring to a minimum there's only going to be 4 points max,not even a runround!!

Ray

Code 83 is great stuff and Peco's site has lovely PDF files that you can print off exact sized paper switches so you can play around with scale sized planning. The Message about number 8s is well made. Keep to those on the main lines and loops etc, only go tighter on shunting planks etc IMHO

I've used Code 83 on my APA box switching short line. Both the flextrack and the turnouts look great I think and would not use anything else now! The turnouts were about £16 each but worth it for the detail and smooth movement.

Cheers

Roger

Archived