Soldering Iron size for 4mm kit

Just about to embark on a 4mm scale London Road Models kit of a 2-4-2T in nickel silver but have seen conflicting advice on the power output needed from the soldering iron. I have a 15w iron and Iain Rice suggests 15-18w. The kit's instructions say use a 25w iron and a friend has used a 45w iron recently on his first kit (which was a small 0-6-0T). Suggestions, and the pros and cons of different sizes, would be much appreciated.

Justin

Yep, 25W would be best - though no harm in using a 45/50 but you may find it packs too much of a punch.

Don't throw the 15W away though, it could be used when you are more experienced for detail work like brake gear or for white metal (low temp work) but TBH I use a 25W for that as well.

This comes up a quite often on here.

Standard issue for a lot (possibly most) 4mm etched kit builders is the Antex XS25.

Preferably fitted with a 3 mm bit (for good heat transfer) and 145 deg. solder with a good liquid flux.

I would still recommend a good quality temperature controlled soldering station of 50 watts or more, as soon as the budget allows.

I use the Antex 25w iron for general construction, and an Antex 18w for smaller detail.

Slightly OT, but what would you recommend for silver soldering? For example, in Martin Finney's inside motion instructions, he states that cranks should be silver-soldered to axles, before the latter are cut through to allow the inside connecting rods to rotate.... Are we looking at mini gas torch territory?

Slightly OT, but what would you recommend for silver soldering? For example, in Martin Finney's inside motion instructions, he states that cranks should be silver-soldered to axles, before the latter are cut through to allow the inside connecting rods to rotate.... Are we looking at mini gas torch territory?

Sending it to Steamline Sheffield as Greg had the kit ;). Seriously, he went over what was needed for the Collett Goods crank axle and it didn't seem worth buying anything just for that.

Sending it to Steamline Sheffield as Greg had the kit ;). Seriously, he went over what was needed for the Collett Goods crank axle and it didn't seem worth buying anything just for that.

It's not just a Collett Goods drive axle I've got to do. There are others as well......

I use the Antex 25w iron for general construction, and an Antex 18w for smaller detail.

Ivan,

This link seems to be a good guide to silver soldering and it certainly is gas torch territory. I haven't done it myself, so can't speak from experience, but the one comment I have heard about silver soldering the cranks on Finney kits is that you have to be careful to not heat it up too much and anneal the cranks. IIRC they are brass castings.

Craig,

What kit do you need then? Gas torch, powder flux, silver solder and some sort of home made jig? Anything else?

Cheers....Morgan

....This link seems to be a good guide to silver soldering and it certainly is gas torch territory. I haven't done it myself, so can't speak from experience, but the one comment I have heard about silver soldering the cranks on Finney kits is that you have to be careful to not heat it up too much and anneal the cranks. IIRC they are brass castings.

Thanks. Yes, they are cast brass.

Craig,

What kit do you need then? Gas torch, powder flux, silver solder and some sort of home made jig? Anything else?

Would the mini-torches from Maplins be suitable?

I believe so. Max flame temp for these butane powered micro torches is around 1300degC. Seems adequate for brazing small bits of metal. However, I think a bit of test work might be useful first.

More useful info here although it is a US website.

Hello Horsetan,

you used to be able to get a solder that had a silver content in it called Easy Weld, it's in a white plastic syringe. The blurb says melts with the heat of a match.

You could soft solder them in place and then drill and pin them in place, using about 1mm N/S wire.

OzzyO.

Yes, I have one of the Iroda solderpro 70 torches from Maplins and have used it to silver solder the cranks on a Finney inside motion kit.

...Why silver solder ?

The brass cranks are soldered onto the steel axles which are then cut away to provide room for the rods. Silver solder is better suited to joining to steel and gives a much stronger joint than soft solders so is recommended because the joint is in a moving (therefore stressed) part.

Nick

Hi, as most others have said, an Antex 25 watt will do all jobs in 4mm scale with very few exceptions but I would add that a selection of bit sizes would be even more useful. I have used a 1mm bit for neat soldering on my new tender chassis and up to a 4mm bit for an old fashioned heavy etched loco chassis. A Brassmasters Royal Scot was built using the 25 w Antex with a 2mm bit for the chassis, main components and overlays, the 1mm for the detail parts and a special wedge shaped 1.5 for the likes of the rainstrips on the cab roof. I also use the iron through a temperature controller just to turn it down a bit for the 145degree solder on smaller parts. White metal is soldered with dedicated bits just kept for the purpose again with the temperature turned down.

I have a 75 watt iron which is rarely used and then only to sweat brass chimneys and domes onto smokeboxes from the inside using the reduced temperature if it's whitemetal. Hope that helps.

post-10324-0-23205200-1306324398_thumb.jpg

Very little cleaning up is needed if you use the right sized bit for the job.....

All the best,

Dave Franks.

www.lanarkshiremodels.com

post-10324-0-69797000-1306324048_thumb.jpg

Hi again, I forgot to mention Fluxes, I use Carr's yellow flux for just about everything except steel. I've tried Powerflow after recommendations but I still prefer a liquid flux for a neat job, remembering to wash the model after each session. I decant and mix 50:50 with water in a stumpy wee jar to avoid 'knockovers'....

Here's a followup photo of the Scot after painting, the customer wanted a pristine finish.

post-10324-0-77533000-1306326019_thumb.jpg

Again, hope that helps.

Dave Franks,

www.lanarkshiremodels.com

I'm afraid I'm going to differ to others on here. For brass and nickle silver kits in 4mm I wouldn't use less than 40W [For 7mm 75W]. My advice is use the biggest iron you can get in to where you're working. A big iron is fast in / fast out localising the heat; A small iron heats the job slowly allowing it to reach the other parts you've soldered.

25w is fine for detail work, brake gear, valve gear pins etc.

I've just tried soldering a Comet Stove 'R' kit using a 25W Antex [because I've forgotten to pack my 40W] and it just doesn't have the heat reserve to flow the solder properly.

Jeremy

If you can afford it the Antex Temperature Controlled 'Soldering Station' (660TCS from memory) is excellent! A small iron in size but with a nice 50W punch. I have a selection of bits and use it for everything I do - I have an Antex 25W iron but I couldn't tell you the last time it was used!

Well, there you go, each to their own, I must say though I've never had a problem with a 25 watt iron, 145 solder and modern kits. I have had distortion of the likes of tender sides using a bigger iron which I don't get with the right size tip on a 25 watt Antex but as I say each to their own.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Archived