Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What would you recreate?

The monorail in Thunderbirds "Brink Of Disaster".

OT: Spot the Lowmac in the launch sequence of TB3 Youtube link

Cheers,

Mick

My oh my. It is a Lowmac. I would say Hornby Dublo, but just maybe the Airfix kit?

(OT, is it a chunk of Lego, or a terminal block on the wall in the launch bay?)

The Railway Children. KWVR version. A pannier in Mustard. (Tri-ang Horby used a Jinty, shame the Pannier was not quite available.) The L&Y Tender loco could be replaced by a Deeley 3f. (Tri-ang Hornby, or maybe the Bachmann version?)

What about the 'Soviet' armoured train from GoldenEye. It seems to be a Class 20 panelled over and some Mk1s, ditto. Looks quite good, and very easy to do with some bits of plasticard. Could get an old Lima one, fit it with some pyrotechnics and re-create the bit where a tank blows it up in the tunnel laugh1.gifyahoo.gif

Yes.

A class 20.

It was at the Railway Age/Crewe Heritage centre a few years ago.

Yes, I saw it!;)

What about Wallace and Gromit? O or Gauge 1 figures and scenery with N gauge track and rollingstock. Or for something really challenging, the line in the animated movie The Polar Express? Might be a little difficult to get the train to slide all over the place on ice and then return to the tracks though!! :D

Matt.

Funnily enough, a book I have on W&G has a picture of the train, and the loco chassis looks decidedly like the Caledonian Pug (Hornby) and the wheels of the stock also look like modified Hornby wheel sets (Spoked.)

Not a film, but there are some very interesting rail scenes in a videogame called Metro 2033, based on a Russian sci-fi novel of the same name.

(I'm assuming it's not OK to embed YouTube videos that aren't your own?)

It's set in a post-apocalyptic Moscow where the population has moved underground into the Metro system, and has quite a lot of interesting "homebrew" rail transport - motorcycle-based speeders, pump trolleys, gas-powered railcars etc. etc. The railway stuff is really well thought-out, and I think you could get a cool diorama or even small layout out of it, particularly if you used a military modelling scale for the figures and other bits.

Will

The area around the little old ladies house in the original version of 'The Ladykillers' although I think someone has already done it!!

This is a subject so sublime that an infinite number of recreations are to be expected.

But has anyone considered the possibility of re-enacting in model form the death of Professor Marcus (Alec Guinness) as the signal arm drops on his head and his body falls into a passing goods wagon?

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, once a year I beleive they run (or did) a steam special over it.

Brit15

They did (not sure if they still do) but it was the diesel service when I took a jaunt up the line. Part of the line hugs some of the hills and its nothing but a sheer drop outside the windows :O

post-6828-0-58387300-1310589770_thumb.jpg

The Titfield Thunderbolt would be good and I'm sure someone with the aid of DCC could replicate the 'duel' between the loco and Sid James' steamroller

post-6828-0-58387300-1310589770_thumb.jpg

In the spirit of the Addams Family's Uncle Festus(?), it would have to be the final scene of The Bridge on the River Kwai!

Or perhaps the multiple trains in 1926's "The General"? The Union train crashing through the burning bridge was the most expensive stunt filmed up to that point in the history of movies.

The short flat car with the howitzer would be fun.

A couple of movies come to mind for "real" train cameos.

At the beginning of "White Heat" (1949), Jimmy Cagney robs a Southern Pacific train, which looks like they pulled it right out of service for the movie shoot.

In "Pride of the Marines" (1945) there is some outstanding footage of Pennsy GG1s gliding through a station proporting to be in suburban Philadelphia.

For anyone who wants to recreate the 20th Century Limited from "North by Northwest" (1959), Walthers provides an exact consist for the 1950s train.

Then there are the "movie" trains.

The Victorian bullion train from "The Great Train Robbery" (1979)

The CB&Q streamliner set from "A League of their Own" (1992). This is the Nebraska Zephyr set owned by the Illinois Railway Museum, and what was it doing in 'Oregon' anyway, the CB&Q didn't go to Oregon.

The circus train near the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (1989) would be fun.

Then of course there is "Back to the Future Part III" (1990) with multiple options:

• The 1885 train (see "C'era una volta il West" below)
  • The time machine locomotive
  • The train headed towards the bridge over Eastwood Ravine that destroys the DeLorean

There are several trains/rail vehicles in "Around the World in 80 Days" (1956)

• The train across India
  • The US transcontinental
  • The railed prairie schooner

Countless Westerns: "High Noon" (1952), "Red River" (1948), "3:10 to Yuma" (1957), (I haven't seen the 2007 remake) "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962), etc, etc and of course: "Once Upon a Time in the West / C'era una volta il West*" (1968) but it seems like someone in these here parts is already recreating that (sort of). :lol:

It's worth noting that in "Back to the Future Part III" ... (from imdb.com)

When Marty walks along the railroad tracks and finally reaches the town, he comes to the railway station. Then he walks into the town, while the camera slowly rises up above the station and finally shows Marty at a large distance walking into the town. This scene is shot exactly the same way as the scene in C'era una volta il West, when Jill arrives at the station.

Then of course there are many musicals, though I can't remember if there are actually any exterior shots of trains in "The Harvey Girls" (1946), though we are nefariously subjected to the song: "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe".

Disappointingly there are a lot of movies with a hint of a train but not much in the way of exteriors. "Some Like it Hot" (1959) is a good example. A good chunk of the movie is set in the sleeping car, but with the exception of I think one scene, there are few glimpses of a train, one partly obscured by Marilyn Monroe, which I suppose is nothing to complain about.

Naturally people have mentioned Ealing comedies like "The Titfield Thunderbolt" (1953) and the "Ladykillers" (1955) where BR features prominently.

I recall a Peter Sellers film - "Two-Way Stretch" (1960) - where the lads break out of gaol to commit a diamond heist and then break back in, only days before they are released from HM's pleasure.

There is an extended train sequence near the end of the film after the lads are released from prison and leave what I assume is (at least meant to be) a WR station (from the travel posters) aboard W5186W (at the end of this clip). About four and a half minutes from the end there is a scene with a locomotive (don't watch the whole clip if you don't want a movie spoiler) but I can't make out either the smokebox or cabside numbers, or even the locomotive class honestly.

The train scene ends on a single platform station with a mail drop that looks like it was temporarily set up for the movie.

Can anyone recognize any of these locations?

Not the most technically difficult to reproduce, but my favourite for sheer atmosphere has to be the opening sequence of Titfield Thunderbolt. I just love the Bullied Pacific flying across Midford viaduct as the 14xx trundles by underneath.

1. The scene in Les Parapluies de Cherbourg where Catherine Deneuve's lover is leaving for military service. It's a classically atmospheric station farewell scene that ends with the Paris "Rapide" pulling out of the terminus until it is too fast for Deneuve to follow so she walks sadly back into the station building while the chef de gare walks down the now empty platform with just a couple of autorails in the bay.

2. The station scene at the beginning of Les Vacances de M. Hulot where amongst various other vignettes a group of passengers waiting for a train to the seaside are sent from platform to platform by misleading station anouncements while various trains pulling an array of fairly old coaches pass to and fro.

The station is unidentified but I now know that the sequence was filmed at Argentan.

I have been told that one of the Butlins sites did actually have a railway station in the grounds of the camp.

Filey had a 4 platform station up a branchline that was accessed from the camp by a tunnel through which a road-train brought the passengers to and from the station. It closed in 1970s as more people were arriving by car instead.

Butlins Pwllheli had Penychain station in the middle of the camp. That is pronounced Pen-ugh-ine not Penny chain to prevent upsetting the Welsh on here.

My thoughts on this thread concern The Great Train Robbery.

When Bachmann release their retooled class 40 and TPO vans it would be a useful set, even though it woldn't be very PC.

I'm also sure I've seen films containing clips of Ivatt 2MT tanks and push pull LMS motor train stock. This could be easily recreated by Bachmann with the 2MT mogul chassis under the existing bodyshell, along with a couple of tasty period 3 non corridors, one having a cab end.

• RMweb Gold

I have vague memories of a 1950's black and white film which i think was called Holiday Camp and filmed at Butlins Filey. I think the railway scenes were taken on the Scarborough to Whitby line, possibly at Ravenscar and featured an A8 tank.

Just caught with this thread so a little late, it was an A8 but filmed at Sandsend north (west) of Whitby on the WRMU and I think it was 1947.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated in a previous post, that is a class 20 under there!

It was at Crewe (Railway Age/ Heritage Centre) for ages quite a while ago. Also the coach too...

AB21 (BSK) - MK 1 Gangwayed Corridor Brake Standard. 742-5660 which was one of the coaches used in the making of the train scene in the James Bond film ' GOLDENEYE', is seen at the Railway Age, Crewe on sun 19-oct-97.The actual number of this coach is unknown.

Photo: Ross Aitken (aos@cableinet.co.uk).

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/car/Mk1/MK1-BSK/742-5660.jpg

Suddenly reminded that there's a very nice 'mundane' railway sequence at the start of School for Scoundrels where Ian Carmichael follows a series of signs through what appears to be a goods yard in order to reach the eponymous school. Might make a nice cameo :)

Will

• RMweb Premium

There is an early episode of The Professionals where a shoot out takes place in a yard somewhere on South London, Bodie and Doyle with their protected witness hiding in what appears to be an Southern Railway design van now converted to Departmental Use as a mess van (we even see the interior, useful for modelling purposes) and outside there is a large number of readily identifiable by number Southern Region departmentals on display.

So if you have a late 1970's layout with a storage area for departmental stock, don't forget to add a couple of Ford Capri's and some bad guys with guns sneaking around as a cameo!

• 2 weeks later...

After a quick look at my dvd collection.

Dark of the sun,set in the congo filmed in jamaica also known as the mercenaries.

Von Ryans Express.

The recent unstoppable.

Breakheart Pass

Narrow Margin

And north west frontier,which i would love to have a go at so if anyone knows a source for oo/ho maxim guns please pm me.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Gold

After a quick look at my dvd collection.

Dark of the sun,set in the congo filmed in jamaica also known as the mercenaries.

Von Ryans Express.

The recent unstoppable.

Breakheart Pass

Narrow Margin

And north west frontier,which i would love to have a go at so if anyone knows a source for oo/ho maxim guns please pm me.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

For the Maxim you could always try the old Airfix WWI British Infantry set, which has a Vickers gun team (although it should be bigger than a two man team)

The German WWI intantry set also has a tripod mounted 'Maxim' with a three man gun team.

As an aside the French don't have a heavy machine gun in their set, it is replaced with a man throwing a pigeon!! and the American set has a BAR(Browning Automatic Rifle) as it's support weapon.

There are other manufacturers that also produce figures/guns/horses in approximately OO/HO sizes if you are that interested

Regards

Richard

A vickers gun would do at oo scale i don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference anyway, as the film was shot in spain i think the loco was a french or german prototype my wife may get cross but this could turn into a layout 3 boards the battle the bridge and the station at the end sound and light fx could well do it.

btw Richard i like the idea of the french using pidgeons as weapons probably a lot more reliable than their early machine guns.

Cheers

Cnhris

Archived