Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What would you recreate?

Now Jack Warner stars as a top link driver in a 1948 Ealing Studios film called "Train of Events", where his WCML express is involved in a disaster. I had the film as a Christmas present, but haven't managed to watch it yet, as just lately I'm always on RMweb! The express leaves Euston, and from memory of watching the film as a kid, I'm fairly sure it will be a "Princess Royal" or a "Royal Scot"..

Another film with some good railway sequences included starred the comedian, Arthur Askey as a steam-driver. In one sequence, he stopped his goods train next to a football ground so he could watch the match and soon there was trouble. I've no idea what the film was called, but I think it was set somewhere in the north-west of England.

All the best, John.

It's a Royal Scot that features in Train of Events, 46126, 'Royal Army Service Corps'.

The Arthur Askey film is 'The Love Match' and the football ground is Burnden Park, Boltons former ground.

'Bhowani Junction' is a railway themed film set in India, not sure if that's the one with Kenneth More.

Edit: The Kenneth More film is 'North West Frontier'.

Bhowani Junction was Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger. Despite the train sequences it should have been a far better film than it was but the book is well worth reading.

Buggleskelly might be fun complete with cries of "The Next Train's Gone!" Oh Mr Porter was filmed on the Basingtoke and Alton light railway so it would be a quandary whether to model it in standard gauge as it was in the film or Irish broad gauge as it should have been

The converging viaducts followed by the tunnel at lat 49.334714 lon0.974037 in "The Train" would be an interesting scene. It's on the freight only line between Rouen (Grand Couronne) and Elbeuf and only the eastern arm of the viaduct now has track on it. In the same film the train smashing at "Rive Reine" was filmed at Acquigny on a closed section of the line between Louviers (St. Avold in the film) and Dreux. The line through Acquigny was reopened in the 1990s to serve a large paper mill but sadly it was closed again fairly recently and the paper products now travel by truck. Most of the buildings including the station and the Hotel de la Gare (now a private home) have hardly changed since 1964 when the film was made. Unfortunately none of the Est 230Bs that featured so heavily in the film survived and I don't think anyone makes a model of them.

David

The weird Class 31 with side coupling rods from 'Edge of Darkness'.

This was filmed at the Middleton Railway with a pair of industrial shunters under a wooden body. The drivers couldn't see very much at all!

One that could be feasible would be the classic London to Brighton in 4 minutes when the 5BEL gets released. Some models do go a lot faster than the real items ever could!

Titfield Thunderbolt would be different, especially the 14xx down the road!

....Unfortunately none of the Est 230Bs that featured so heavily in the film survived and I don't think anyone makes a model of them.

Pity. There is apparently a 230B preserved at Mulhouse, but that originated from the PLM rather than EST.

• RMweb Premium

For an easy catch, I would say the opening train journey of Narnia; the lion the witch and the wardrobe - 1930's GWR suburbans pulled by a Hall - filmed on the Severn Valley I believe...lovely!

But I would go for 1985's Runaway Train with John Voight - Two EMD locos hurtling through a snow-bound Alaska would make a very dramatic set-piece !!

• RMweb Premium
But I would go for 1985's Runaway Train with John Voight - Two EMD locos hurtling through a snow-bound Alaska would make a very dramatic set-piece !!

Oh forgot about that one. There were four locos in the escaping consist IIRC all in nice easy to do matt black. Low nose GP7 leading with tacked on bits for the post caboose collision scene, then an F unit (correctly described in the movie as an 'old streamliner' so well done someone!) and then two high nose GP7's which were actually low nose ones with false upper parts fitted by the film makers.

One of those GP7's apparently is the same one of the pair that would later appear in Under Siege 2 and I am told the 'F' unit is still going strong all be it cleaned up now of course...

You could paint up some cheap Athearn Blue Box models, put them in a four loco consist then suddenly send them through with a HO scale John Voight on the roof at an exhibition and see what the crowd reaction is like!! :yahoo:

The Hogwart's Express travelling over the viaduct, complete with flying Ford Anglia...

assuming you're not going to stop in the station you could get an anglia and a bit of wire to attach it infront of the loco chasing it :)

• RMweb Premium

What about the 'Soviet' armoured train from GoldenEye. It seems to be a Class 20 panelled over and some Mk1s, ditto. Looks quite good, and very easy to do with some bits of plasticard. Could get an old Lima one, fit it with some pyrotechnics and re-create the bit where a tank blows it up in the tunnel laugh1.gifyahoo.gif

What about Wallace and Gromit? O or Gauge 1 figures and scenery with N gauge track and rollingstock. Or for something really challenging, the line in the animated movie The Polar Express? Might be a little difficult to get the train to slide all over the place on ice and then return to the tracks though!! :D

Matt.

I'd do something featuring the Pacific Electric, either "Who framed Roger Rabbit?", or the Spruce Goose scene in "The Aviator".

I'm surprised no one was modelled "Oh Mister Porter", although would you would have to do so in greyscale to be accurate...?

What about Wallace and Gromit? O or Gauge 1 figures and scenery with N gauge track and rollingstock. Or for something really challenging, the line in the animated movie The Polar Express? Might be a little difficult to get the train to slide all over the place on ice and then return to the tracks though!! :D

Matt.

Is that the bit where they're on the train fighting the penguin?

or just have the layout as wallace and grommit's house with the train running through?

RMweb challenge entry perhaps?

Is that the bit where they're on the train fighting the penguin?

or just have the layout as wallace and grommit's house with the train running through?

RMweb challenge entry perhaps?

I was thinking more of the scene where they are fighting the penguin but any part of the house with the train would look cool. B) As for my challenge entry, I'm creating something closer to home but now that you mentined it, it I finish the current one early...... :D

Matt.

For those that look at the movie sites will be aware of IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and the similar site IMCDB (Internet Movie Car Database). IMCDB lists as many cars as possible and the relevant films.

This had me thinking as we are discussing the various trains in films we are nearly creating a db of our own.

• RMweb Gold

The bar car on the Titfield Thunderbolt, ideally on my own private railway near Bath....

I'd have an extra cask of finest though.... :drinks:

Mr Valentine, "Wines and spirits first......"

I run the Thunderbolt on Highbury occasionaly although I haven't got round to fitting the interior yet but its on the 'to do' list.

Jerry

This was filmed at the Middleton Railway with a pair of industrial shunters under a wooden body. The drivers couldn't see very much at all!

Cool, thanks for that. So they made an entire Class 31 body out of wood? (is my memory playing tricks, it is a Class 31 isn't it...? I haven't watched it in ages)

Seems an odd way to spend the production money, why not just use... well.... a Class 31 :lol:

Cool, thanks for that. So they made an entire Class 31 body out of wood? (is my memory playing tricks, it is a Class 31 isn't it...? I haven't watched it in ages)

Seems an odd way to spend the production money, why not just use... well.... a Class 31 :lol:

Filmed during a rail strike, if I remember correctly.

I have vague memories of a 1950's black and white film which i think was called Holiday Camp and filmed at Butlins Filey. I think the railway scenes were taken on the Scarborough to Whitby line, possibly at Ravenscar and featured an A8 tank.

I have been told that one of the Butlins sites did actually have a railway station in the grounds of the camp.

Filey had a 4 platform station up a branchline that was accessed from the camp by a tunnel through which a road-train brought the passengers to and from the station. It closed in 1970s as more people were arriving by car instead.

I was always fascinated by the train stuck in the snow-drift in Murder on the Orient Express. Any RMWebbers out there who know what the loco is?

Thanks

jgp

Yes. It was 230G353 an ex PO 4-6-0 (hence 230) that SNCF kept as their one operating steam loco for specials and filming and which was for a long time the only steam loco allowed to run on SNCF tracks. For reasons that will soon be obvious it is also one of my all time favourite locos.

The loco was one of a class of 170 built as mixed traffic locos for the CF Paris Orleans between 1914 and 1923 by two French builders (SACM and Batignolles) and North British. Some of them ended up with the Etat (later the Ouest region of SNCF) when that railway took over some PO lines in Brittany in a route swap. Late in their career in the 1950s a number of them were transferred to the Nord and in the 1920s some of the class were sent to Morocco.

230G353 has appeared in numerous movies and TV dramas and was also used on many steam specials including one where I got a cab ride around a fair chunk of the Petite Ceinture in Paris. :yahoo:

This photo (not by me) was taken of it during that trip.

http://www.flickr.co..._99/4114901134/

and you'll see that it has very clean elegant lines.

As well as 353, 230G352 has also been preserved but I believe that 353 having become rather worn out as SNCF's one and only steam loco is still awaiting a rebuild and by all accounts may have to wait for rather a long time.

Both of the surviving 230Gs were built by Batignolles (but nice to know that others of the class, probably amongst those built during WW1, were Glaswegian)

David

Archived