Box Profile Corrugated Steel

I'm thinking of using some of the Wills SSMP 225 box section corrugated sheet (this stuff) on my 2011 challenge diorama to clad some big industrial buildings, to represent newer buildings.

Does anyone know when this type of corrugated first appeared? And how big the cladding sheets would be?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I did do a search but nothing came up on box section steel.

Guest stuartp

This has come up before, IIRC someone on here's dad used to make it (or something like that). Fat Controller ?

Sheets are generally 1000mm wide and 3000mm long, although there are probably variations on this. I think that the previous thread about this is on the old RMWeb.

In terms of period, from hazy observational memory, I would suggest mid to late 1980s for the introduction of the box section profile.

HTH

• RMweb Premium

ISTR seeing it on TV and how it could be formed into curves by "crimping" the sheets. For some reason "Tomorrow's World" pops out as the program in question. That may give a clue as to it's introduction, as TW finished many years ago.

Cheers,

Mick

ISTR seeing it on TV and how it could be formed into curves by "crimping" the sheets. For some reason "Tomorrow's World" pops out as the program in question.

I remember seeing that too, probably late '70s. The Bachmann/Farish Scenecraft Industrial unit (42-049) features the crimped/curved roof. The box section pre-dates the curving, previously it had only been used for angular joins.

Guest stuartp

Found it.

No dates but try googling 'Colorcoat', Wikipedia says 'over 40 years' which would tie in with 70s onwards. Fat Controller and Portcullin Tatty seem to know quite a bit about it. No mention of anybody's dad though, that must have been another thread.

I'm thinking of using some of the Wills SSMP 225 box section corrugated sheet (this stuff) on my 2011 challenge diorama to clad some big industrial buildings, to represent newer buildings.

Does anyone know when this type of corrugated first appeared? And how big the cladding sheets would be?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I did do a search but nothing came up on box section steel.

Hi Paul

Have you looked at the Pikestuff kit range?

We found that these were a more economical way of acquiring profile sheets and roofing. The kits also include a selection of windows and doors. They are designed for HO at 3.5mm scale but look fine on a 4mm layout.

The background buildings in the picture use these kits.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all you replies, much appreciated.

It seems that box section would be too modern for my challenge layout, which will be set some time in the sixties.

So It'll be wiggly tin then!

Square section was in use in the 1960s, it was just bending it round corners lengthwise that wasn't invented until 1977 IIRC.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember sawing sheets of corrugated asbestos with a large ripsaw to fit on a farm building roof it was a barn built from some of the timbers from the Midland goods shed at Crigglestone East. Face mask, breathing equipment,gloves or risk assessment no not one! A saw horse or two in the farm yard with a bit of a draught to take the dust away. The point of this rambling the date was the late 60's early 70's and there was plenty of earlier sheet work on the stone barn.

Again thanks for the replies. Further proof that RMWeb is the premier resource!

I think that I'll stick to wiggly tin for all of the buildings (possibly easier to paint than asbestos which seems to have an uneven surface). My intention was to have a corner building made from box section to represent a new build on my diorama/layout to add visual interest, but I've decided to clad all the buildings the same so everything blends in together and nothing stands out. On a bigger layout I might think differently.

This has come up before, IIRC someone on here's dad used to make it (or something like that). Fat Controller ?

He didn't quite make it, but installed all the beds the various bits of rolling and coating machinery sat on at the test plant at Bryngwyn, Gorseinon- this would have been about 1967-8. I remember the setting-out being the most precise one he'd worked on, and even then the machines had to be shimmed to get the correct alignement. The first rollings had a curious 'textured' finish on one side, a little like a leather book cover. The colour range was somewhat subfusc, being dark brown, green and a blue which resembled British Steel's house colour.

Archived