Were Bulleid type 2EPBs ever allocated to South Western Division?

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

I've taken delivery of a Bachmann 2EPB numbered 5764, which by 1981 was based at Wimbledon. I also own a kitbuilt Bulleid style 2EPB in rail blue, which by 1981 were all based at Selhurst.

Were the Bulleid design 2EPBs ever based at Wimbledon during their lives?

They were initally allocated to the Western division before being sent to their long-term home on the Central after the arrival of the ex-Tyneside 2_EPB's on the Western. However, inter-working of EMU's across all the three SR divisions was very very common over the years so it would have been very possible for an SR 2-EPB to have worked with the BR 2-EPB's anywhere on the region. Slade Green 4-EPB's were frequently used on the Central & Western to fill-in during unit shortages.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for this, until about 1973 EMUs weren't allocated to specific depots, and as you correctly say, they interworked over more than one division.

Having said that I'll keep my Bachmann 2EPB as 5764 and imagine Wimbledon borrowed a Selhurst unit to make up a 4-car train to cover its planned diagram!

• RMweb Gold

There was, most weekdays, a morning and evening return CM&EE trip from Selhurst to Durnsford Road, so interchange between the depots was commonplace, and as those crews were available, the traffic department would occasionally use them to balance fleets if there were no CM&EE units to go.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, so they did work on SW Division lines after all during the 70s.

I sometimes saw WD-based 2 X 2EPBs or even a (Bulleid design) 4EPB attached to a CIG or VEP unit on Portsmouth Harbour services at the time.

Also sometime in July 1981 a CIG plus 4EPB no. 5115, I remember that because of the last three digits being my house number and its distinctive 9-compt trailer, was on a service to the Harbour as I was watching from Portsmouth's Guildhall Square.

Thanks, so they did work on SW Division lines after all during the 70s.

4EPB no. 5115, and its distinctive 9-compt trailer,

Aye - ex-first class trailer with bit more leg room , there were a couple of other EPB's with these too - always used to head for them when travelling CX - Gillingham

The three Southern Repair shops at Slade Green , Chart Leacon and Selhurst as well as Eastleigh Works used to undertake very heavy repair of the Southern's EMU fleet that amounted to virtually a complete rebuild from chassis and bodyshell which certainly contributed to the longevity of the EPB fleet - the bodies started to go in their last years but mechanically and electrically they were still fine. Anyway, the work undertaken by these shops resulted in EMU's from all over the region being seen all over the region. 4-REP's were regular visitors to Ashford for example. Excursions and xmas parcels traffic also resulted in odd workings too. I remember seeing 2 "special" trains go through Gillingham en route to Ramsgate one Sunday in 1972(?) each formed of 3 x 4-CIG's and from memory comprised the last six 4-CIG's delivered numerically - they were absolutely pristine and must almost have been on their first passenger workings (you could smell the new paint as they passed)! I'd be interested to know if anyone out there in RM web land has details of these workings.

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes saw WD-based 2 X 2EPBs or even a (Bulleid design) 4EPB attached to a CIG or VEP unit on Portsmouth Harbour services at the time.

At Portsmouth Harbour, this may of course have been a Central Division service from Brighton/Littlehampton.

Mixing used to happen with 4-SUBs and EPBs. Dorking and Effingham Junction, for example, stabled both Western and Central Division sets overnight and occasionally they didn't get sent back where they came from. I remember one case where Selhurst's 4754 was dud at Dorking on a Saturday morning for the first up Victoria and a SW set - 4662 IIRC - was used, split from a SW 8-car in the sidings.

But in the 70s, there were depot allocations of sorts - "WDON" and "SHST" were carried by SUBs and EPBs until the new two letter codes were introduced. Don't know about the Eastern section mind - "SGRN" perhaps?

But in the 70s, there were depot allocations of sorts - "WDON" and "SHST" were carried by SUBs and EPBs until the new two letter codes were introduced. Don't know about the Eastern section mind - "SGRN" perhaps?

FTON, BOMO, SLGN, RMGT = Fratton, Bournemouth, Slade Green , Ramsgate

and I think SLEO = St Leonards ???

• RMweb Premium

SLEO was St Leonards BTW.

I'll upload photos of my 2 X 2EPB combination as part of my Horniman Park layout thread once my laptop's returned sometime this weekend.

Archived