Traction 198

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

I know there's an older thread discussing the move of Traction to Atlantic Publishers, but since the latest issue has just arrived I thought a new post was warranted...

For my money the new look and contents are a step in the right direction - in fact the whole product seems more 'grown up', with decent historical articles (eg on the Fell loco), as well as good nostalgia fodder such as an account of Exeter St David's traffic in summer 1974 (ah those were the days...), and well-presented preservation news and classic haulage happenings on the mainline. The modelling section is now more focused I reckon and, well, useful, with a track plan this month by Paul Lunn featuring a South Coast ferry terminal - so more atuned to the likely needs of those Traction readers who subscribe to this forum!

All in all I hope this latest issue helps further secure the future of the magazine - let's face it there isn't much out there in media land for us D&E fans wanting to wallow in a bit of 'the good old days' - so a thumbs up from me.

cheers,

Keith

I too thought the Paul Lunn section was pretty good.

Seems a logical step to me that with the demise of MRM it would make sense to expand the modelling section to try and capture the D+E specific modellers out there. However, it may result in a magazine that only has 50% of interest to some people (the prototype fans), and 50% useful to others (the modellers), with a third group liking both bits, so I don't really know for sure - these people know far more about selling magazines than I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave and Keith, thanks for the kind comments. I'm undertaking a number of articles for Traction and want to strike a balance between prototype and modelling content in the modelling section. Will be at the RMweb members day, designing layouts, chatting drinking tea etc. Pop over and say Hi if you're attending. Kind regards Paul

Traction magazine under new editor is hugely improved. I can't understand why it declined under the previous incumbent (not sure if this is the right word) but I have a backlog of articles to go in. The current one about the Exeter Traffic Survey was submitted a long time ago. Steve Rabone seems to be able to capture the market better with content variiety. I may start taking the magazine again! Personally I like to keep modelling and full size separate, a very small portion of the market will be novices to modelling so it will need something truelly exceptional to match rival publications in this field. I wish Steve every success in rebuilding Traction. I hope to see it back as a monthly one day.

• RMweb Gold

Ta for the replies.

Because I was a '70s and '80s 'spotter, the Exeter piece was really right up my street - good pics, well written and full of tables of workings and loco numbers - great stuff!

With the Traction modelling section, where I felt it was a bit off target originally was with trying to do reviews of new releases or offering 'how to do it' type articles - there are loads of these elsewhere - but where Traction has a modelling niche, I think, is in featuring 'classic' D&E layouts; that is, classic in the sense of describing and showcasing those past (and present) inspirational exhibition layouts that focus especially on heritage / vintage BR traction, and 'classic' too in the sense of setting out some new layout ideas for those of us working on our own models to relive the classic traction BR days that we knew and loved - which is why I thought the quayside designs were good in the latest issue, again especially as the article mixed in prototype details such as photos and timetables.

all the best,

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting comments Keith especially around potential niche for Traction's modelling focus. I'm still not sure about the new format under Atlantic but latterly the mag had lost it's way a bit. As one who is currently buiding a fleet of 504 EMUs - some blue some green, I'd love to see more 60s & 70s D&E layouts featured. Too much of the D&E modelling scene focuses on today's MU & Class 66 railway for my money.

I'll keep the faith with Traction as it looks to be improving.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments Keith especially around potential niche for Traction's modelling focus. I'm still not sure about the new format under Atlantic but latterly the mag had lost it's way a bit. As one who is currently buiding a fleet of 504 EMUs - some blue some green, I'd love to see more 60s & 70s D&E layouts featured. Too much of the D&E modelling scene focuses on today's MU & Class 66 railway for my money.

I'll keep the faith with Traction as it looks to be improving.

I'm pleased to read that most of you feel that there has been an improvement in Traction since Atlantic took over. Issue 199 is well under way and I'm pretty certain that you'll feel that this builds on what has gone before since I took over as Editor, ably assisted by Paul Lunn in the model section.

I'm sure I don't need to say it but if anybody on RM Web has interesting ideas for the modelling section please get in touch with me. If you'd like to write about your fleet of Bury line 504s I'd love to hear from you!! Likewise, anybody with D&E pre GM/Privatisation days layouts would be welcomed with open arms.

I can be contacted at steverabone@hotmail.com

Stephen Rabone

As one who is currently buiding a fleet of 504 EMUs - some blue some green, I'd love to see more 60s & 70s D&E layouts featured…

Hi D7579, do you have a thread for your 504 builds? I'm doing a DC Kits 504 and I'd be interested to see how you're tackling yours.

• 2 months later...

Nice to see the positive comments for the new direction of the mag. I have contributed to traction for some time both on the real railway and modelling. I try to keep a balance for the "non-modeller" thumbing through the modelling section and always try to keep the section as a link between the golden age of loco hauled trains and incorporating this into a model railway. There are so many areas to focus on and I try to make it as authentic as possible. We enjoy including real photos in the modelling section too.

So many D&E layouts at exhibitions now are based on modern operating practises (mainly through trains), it's nice to show stations busy with parcel, postal and trains requiring shunting. Some younger readers will never have experienced this as station pilots are almost a thing of the past.

Cheers Craig M

I don't see it in the 'States anymore. I always wanted more articles on the ex. GER lines out of Liverpool Street. So many firsts on that line for D&E fans. I'd like to see more early DC OLE information from the late 40's, early '50's, Type 2 and Type 4 early performance from the '50's etc., etc.

From my point of view there has always been a bias to Western but then we all want to see what we want to see..........you know what I mean.

Good luck for the future.

Best, Pete.

Archived