hi

scott

sorry to see your layout looking empty.when i was of work for a year due to ill health i had to sell all my stock.you will get past this little problem

so chin up

steve

ps i have some blue 33s,50,37,08&emus if you want a photo shot on your layout

Phil, Its the gun holster that worried me most!

Cheers for the offer of the photo shoot Steve but I'm kind of liking the empty feeling. It will give me chance to finish the layout without playing too much! Plus if I start having those type of locos back on Redbrook I will be back to buying more...

Unfortunately I'm working days that weekend, the best I can wish for is to fly over! Shame because if I was on lates I could have popped in before work.

Looks like it would have been a good one to visit with 20+ layouts on show...

Cheers

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Well the weeds are starting to grow at Redbrook, you'll note that the Maritime in the title has been dropped. That was part of the Freightliner depot name, and now they've gone so has the maritime connection.

I'm pleased to say that the depot has remained, although its been a busy time for the track gangs with much of the track nearby removed.

Rumour has it that property developers have purchased a lot of the land (with the support of the local authority) with the intention of building a large shopping centre called "QuayWest". In order to get planning permission the companies have included rail links into the plan with the suggestion of a brand new station.

Meanwhile the depot has had a visitor, due to the demand of Network Rail 57 resprays, Arlington Fleet Services have a short term lease here at Redbrook, with their main site at Eastleigh not to far away.

57307 arrived earlier this morning after working up from Exeter.

post-6849-0-91043300-1320063486.jpg

The 70 has also returned for some work to be carried out on it before moving off again.

Thats all the news for now.

Thanks for looking and apologies for the picture quality of Lady Penelope, it was a passing shot.

Cheers

Scott

Yes i'm going to have a go at spraying the 57 myself, so far I have stripped it down. Just doing some research now into how to go about stripping the paint etc.... Off to Halfords tomorrow for some white primer.

I'm hopng there will be a railmatch paint supplier at Wycrail....

There isn't anything to show yet with the layout, only a lot of empty space! Patience Ian, patience... ^_^

Update...

The 57 has had its paint stripped and has had the first coat of primer. The paint has arrived from Howes (great service as usual) and is nervously waiting to one side before entering the world of first time airbrushing...

I too am a bit apprehensive about the whole thing! Its the masking up and doing the cantrail thats is my biggest concern. Oh and getting a splatter free paint covering on the body.

Building work has started on a metcalfe platform, is it me or do they seem a little low?? Got some mounting board this evening placed two layers under the platform to raise it up and it looks better, at least any potential passengers wont have to be part of the parachute regiment now before dis-embarking...

Saying that, there is no passenger service yet anyway, the service is out for tender. If I had my way it would be 67's T and T.. But what influence do I have.... :scratchhead:

Going to Wycrail this weekend with the Leaford crew, looking forward to a catch up and viewing Aberdeen Kirkhill again... maybehave a hunt around for some bargains that I can't afford...

Thats it for now, hope to bring some pictures soon..

Rumour has it that property developers have purchased a lot of the land (with the support of the local authority) with the intention of building a large shopping centre called "QuayWest". In order to get planning permission the companies have included rail links into the plan with the suggestion of a brand new station.

Its out of my hands, there are still sidings for freight though, fingers crossed they get used, at the moment the MPV appears to have adopted one of them as home!

• RMweb Premium

Update...

The 57 has had its paint stripped and has had the first coat of primer. The paint has arrived from Howes (great service as usual) and is nervously waiting to one side before entering the world of first time airbrushing...

I too am a bit apprehensive about the whole thing! Its the masking up and doing the cantrail thats is my biggest concern. Oh and getting a splatter free paint covering on the body.

i guess it's stating the obvious, but have a practice on something that you can make a mistake with and not regret it. Good luck!

(I haven't taken delivery of my 57/3 yet, it's in another country...........)

Cheers,

Mick

Had problems with putting images on yesterday, not very exciting, I know but heres the proof that I am actually doing it and a lookk at my safety equipment. Neighbours must have had some strange thoughts!

post-6849-0-69814100-1320655342.jpg

post-6849-0-27337300-1320655341.jpg

Hope to get the second coat on tonight. Transfers have been ordered so its all going to plan....

Cheers

Scott

Had problems with putting images on yesterday, not very exciting, I know but heres the proof that I am actually doing it and a lookk at my safety equipment. Neighbours must have had some strange thoughts!

Hope to get the second coat on tonight. Transfers have been ordered so its all going to plan....

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

Great work with the 47 - airbrushing is something I'm yet to experiment with.

As for the protective gear, looks like you're going for the same look as artizen - all you need now is a top hat.

Phil

Thanks for the kind words guys, masking tape applied this evening and first coat on the roof added. Have to say not sure how its going to turn out, I found it quite difficult trying to put the tape on straight and in the right place...!!

We shall have to see in a couple of days once the second coat goes on and the tape comes off. Fingers crossed the yellow doesn't come off with it!

Keith I'm trying to resist the NR depot, didn't help reading this evening that 57310 had to rescue an MPV this afternoon. I could easily model that..

Phil, no top hat for me, although it may make me look taller...

Thanks for looking

Scott

Evening,

Final roof coat has gone on this evening, I'm thinking it might not be the right shade of grey.. It looks too light at the moment, I've used Railmatch rail grey but I think Halfords grey primer looks more like it.. I'm in a dilemma now, do I let this dry and remove the masking tape to see what it looks like against the yellow or do I wait for it to dry then spray Halfords grey primer over it..

Think I'll see what it looks like when its dry and decide then. What a blinking nightmare.

Photos to follow...

HI,

After much thought I decided to spray the roof with the Halfords primer, I wasn't overly happy with the lighter roof grey.

I went on another trip to Eastleigh today to have another "in the flesh" look just to satisfy my decision, but it was right at the back of the works... I did manage to grab a couple of pictures though.

post-6849-0-49094400-1321217809.jpg

post-6849-0-21960800-1321217805.jpg

Heres mine with the roof painted:

post-6849-0-63756900-1321217812_thumb.jpg

I think its a tad darker but it will do for my first respray. I painted the warning yellow ends the other day, that was the first mistake, painting it! I removed the masking tape and it was far too thick, really obvious where it joined the rest of the yellow.

Tonight I have rubbed the edges down and have had another go but this time with the airbrush.

If this works out then the next stage is to paint the front window frames and light surrounds black, that is going to be interesting... Then it will be cantrail (another job i'm dreading) and then finaly the decals.

The rest of Redbrook is bubbling away in the background, platform 2 is in, just need to do platform 1 and then sort out the passenger services.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

From what I can see you seem to have got the hang of the airbrush, do you know what the correct shade of grey should be for the roof, as it does seem a bit dark? I reckon you were right first time with the rail grey.

Did you get the YouTube link via e mail yet?

Archived