Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

Thanks for the encouragement (not that I was needing too much!). I have been investigating timber suppliers who can cut precise lengths of Plywood. One company has said they can do the cuts but there is a 2-3mm error margin which is too much for something like this so I shall investigate some more. If anyone has any recommendations then please let me know (I am UK based and in the West Midlands). I am considering using 10mm Plywood and following the type of construction outlined by Ulrich).

Whilst away on holiday I have been sketching possible ideas for a new modular layout. I think I will have a go at doing some of these but I am unsure about ditching my entire layout at the moment. I think I will keep it until at least Christmas (which, if I decide to make a proper go of this, is when I would get a considerable amount of track).

Ulrich - Have you looked at the Scalescenes low relief block of flats? It could provide a cheaper high rise alternative for your modules...

I don't know if you've managed to solve the problem about getting wood cut to precise lengths, but if not, give these people a try - http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cuttosize-foam-board-white-p-104.html - a bit more expensive than wood admittedly, but I've bought quite a bit of foamboard from them over the last few months and the measurements have been spot on every time, including for a couple of modules that I'm currently constructing.

Hope this helps.

I don't know if you've managed to solve the problem about getting wood cut to precise lengths, but if not, give these people a try - http://www.theplasti...hite-p-104.html - a bit more expensive than wood admittedly, but I've bought quite a bit of foamboard from them over the last few months and the measurements have been spot on every time, including for a couple of modules that I'm currently constructing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bramwell. Luckily I have managed to find a company near to where my brother lives who will do it all very precisely and have even agreed to sell me the wood. In fact they are cutting it all tomorrow for me.

Thanks, Stephen - that´s exactly what I wanted to achieve. Not an easy task on a module only 6" deep.

I am still pondering to add some more details. The minimum I plan on doing is to add sidewalks and striping to the roads, some railroad personnel and a few trackside details. I will have to buy all this, but my this year´s budget is pretty well spent.

Kiwinewt - hope to see some of your work here soon!

Thanks, Stephen - that´s exactly what I wanted to achieve. Not an easy task on a module only 6" deep.

I am still pondering to add some more details. The minimum I plan on doing is to add sidewalks and striping to the roads, some railroad personnel and a few trackside details. I will have to buy all this, but my this year´s budget is pretty well spent.

Kiwinewt - hope to see some of your work here soon!

There are ways to achieve these looks on a budget. Sidewalks can be made using plasticard (you can score the edging stones on) which gives you the option of a bespoke size.

Have you thought about painting your own figures? If that is an option then there is a wealth of unpainted figures which are much cheaper to purchase than the ready made ones.

What is the plan at the other end of the line with the station there? Is it going to be a terminous in a big city or rural?

Also on a final point, I really like the way you have photographed the latest module. The green in the background from the other modules really gives a nice amount of depth!

There are ways to achieve these looks on a budget. Sidewalks can be made using plasticard (you can score the edging stones on) which gives you the option of a bespoke size.

Have you thought about painting your own figures? If that is an option then there is a wealth of unpainted figures which are much cheaper to purchase than the ready made ones.

What is the plan at the other end of the line with the station there? Is it going to be a terminous in a big city or rural?

Also on a final point, I really like the way you have photographed the latest module. The green in the background from the other modules really gives a nice amount of depth!

I am not yet sure about the "other" end of the layout. I am pondering either to built another two track terminus, or just let the track end in a street, pretending it continues down the line to somewhere.

On the issue of background: Once I´ll have the shelf installed (should have done by now), I am thinking also of installing a kind of "neutral" background to add depth to the layout. I probably let my wife paint it - she is really good at it!

Painting those figures is a no, no for me. After two heart attacks and a series of mini-strokes, my hand are not steady enough to do that kind of work anymore. I am glad I can still cope with the tiny size of N scale, but even "planting" those figures was a chore.

Sorry Ulrich, I should have thought a bit before suggesting that.

I suppose there is merit in having another terminous in that it would then allow a wider vairety of train movements (if you decide to expand your fleet in the future). But, as with any layout, it is better to avoid repetition. As always I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Just as a side note, my wood is now cut and I am just waiting my brother to pick it up. I expect to be moduling (both mini and T Trak) early next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has slowed down in recent days, as I have run out of material. There is some heading my way, so construction will commence soon. The next module is going to have a depot to store and service the line´s EMUs .

I still have to put up the shelf for the layout to get its final location - my desk is pretty well cramped these days.

• 2 weeks later...

As to steam locos, Kato and Tomix have quiet and smooth running mechanisms. The Kato D 51 498 with its dual flywheel drive runs like a charm! Older MicroAce locos have a reputation of having mechanisms not quite up to today´s standard. Compared to what you have to lay out in cash for Minitrix, Fleischmann and the likes, Japanese locos are a bargain!

Tim - you are right, must have switched off my brain, as I am using only # 4 turnouts.

The price includes 2 straight section and the curved section, so that is still reasonable when compared to Fleischmann et al.

I'm not saying it is unreasonable - just that it is kind of expensive given the exchange rate here in NZ! :)

On a side note - have you considered anything with the UniTram track at all? :)

Archived