Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

I'm not saying it is unreasonable - just that it is kind of expensive given the exchange rate here in NZ! :)

On a side note - have you considered anything with the UniTram track at all? :)

Got me thinking on that. One of my next module will be more of an urban module, with track running in a street. Might look into using Unitram track for that.

Alas. I've been contemplating the tomix ones also, but they do look a lot less elegant.

You need the adapters for it also - which might not be the best.. my research seems to show you also need a bit of tomix track between the adapter and their tram track too...

Interesting - if you have a pair of corners and an urban module in the middle (3+ modules specifically set to work in a certain order) you can get the 33mm spacing: http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html

And from the same you can do a double/triple module - single track to unitram back to single again... now this is opening up worrysome ideas... ;)

Sorry, don't follow. Why is that a problem?

The 33mm spacing for dual-track modules has to be kept at this between modules so they can be swapped... there are some ways around this but I believe Sir Madog wants to keep the 33mm spacing for ease of use and less having to work out different spacings/track lengths/etc :)

But I thought you were doing a single track scheme rather than double, in which case track spacing is not an issue! I need to wait for the next track plan to be issued.

I think the hint is in the current track plan "Future Extension (to Kurama City)"

Madog,

Many thanks for the inspiration - my parcel from Japan with the kit for half a dozen modules arrived today, so after 5min setup I got to play trains!

It's been a while...

Can't wait to move house and start work on constructing some modules! :D

I'm constantly looking into this one now... especially the difference between this and t-trak...

Have you looked into t-trak modules at all? They seem to be 33mm spacing, with wider radius corners and an extra 8mm from the front. They also seem to use 62mm + 248mm rather than 64mm + 248mm

Nate

Nate - I have looked into T-Trak modules, and, yes, they are slightly different in size than the ones I build. I found T-Trak to be too "complicated" to build and therefore too expensive for me. Aside from the difference in size, the key diffrerence is that T-Trak uses some type of screw as feet, allowing the module to be leveled by adjusting the feet. I don´t need this feature, as I use a straight marine grade of plywood for my module boxes.

I have just received the wood I had cut so that I can get to work on some modules. I purchased Birch Plywood that was precision cut by a company in Somerset. The precision element means that I dont need to worry about them matching up. The wood is sturdy and requires no further support.

My modules are going to form a full layout, I have opted for a mix of T Trak standards (although slightly modified for my needs) and Ulrich's micro modules. As well as these I also have a larger station module (smaller modules just wouldn't work with the track spacing...).

I will start a thread at some point but I need to dismantle my old layout first.

I have opted for a mix of T Trak standards (although slightly modified for my needs) and Ulrich's micro modules. As well as these I also have a larger station module (smaller modules just wouldn't work with the track spacing...).

Thats what I think I am going to do - effectively make a branch line with the track I have now and when I get to the dual-track main-line stage I'll utilize t-trak radii and such (whilst still keeping the micro module hight/etc)

Folks, I am looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures!

Right now I am in the doldrums with my own work. After being three years on the dole, I have finally found a job - not an easy task, when you have long surpassed the 50 mark. The job won´t earn me riches, but it feels good to earn my family´s keep again. Unfortunately, I have close to nil time available to work on my next module, but I am confident that I will pick up soon.

Folks, I am looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures!

Right now I am in the doldrums with my own work. After being three years on the dole, I have finally found a job - not an easy task, when you have long surpassed the 50 mark. The job won´t earn me riches, but it feels good to earn my family´s keep again. Unfortunately, I have close to nil time available to work on my next module, but I am confident that I will pick up soon.

Photo's will certainly be posted. Although I have to dismantle my old layout and get a desk surface.

I am sure that you will be able to work on your modules when time allows. I am looking forward to see what innovations you do next.

• 2 months later...

Hi Ulrich, sorry to hear that your company closed down. Does NZ have some sort of job search site that tries to marry your skills up to an appropriate job?

I thought you might like to know I have started a thread on the Layout Forum about my adventures into modules: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51160-modular-french-branchline-network/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived