Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

I believe that the clip system is a new pandrol one thta has two prongs that clip onto the base of the rail on each side and are squeezed together by a pair of powered jaws rather than the old stsyle with lots of curves that was driven into place horizontally.

Jamie

Clips used are indeed Pandrol Fastclip FE type. Pandrol website has a good technical video of them.

John

That long wall they're facing with stone at Gala was something that puzzled me when I saw what they were up to the other day - does anyone know why it's been built to such a height? I'm pretty sure that it'll be visible from space.

• RMweb Premium

That long wall they're facing with stone at Gala was something that puzzled me when I saw what they were up to the other day - does anyone know why it's been built to such a height? I'm pretty sure that it'll be visible from space.

Not sure why it's that height.  It obvioulsy separates the single track railway from the road perhaps there are road safety issues.   Meanwhile I'll ahve to chek Google earth.

Jamie

The original railway level was much higher than the road the new one needs to be the same to fit under the A7 road bridge. Some of the height is the parapet wall to hold the ballast and to stop people fall off on to the road.

The photo below gives an idea of the original track level with the natural geology below.

post-368-0-69704100-1415903866.jpg

Does anyone know how the 66s propelling the rail-installation train are being controlled?  None of the pics or film I've seen appear to show anyone in the leading cab, though there's frequently some-one in the rear one.  Is the loco under some sort of remote control from the guys on the ground at the head-of-steel, either using a radio-control link or by walkie-talkie to the person on the loco?

I do like the "Borders Railway" flag being flown near the front of the rail-istallation machine... like an army marching into battle !

Alasdair

Matt, the wall you mention made the local press the other week!

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/galashiels/articles/2014/10/14/511894-welcome-to-ghastly-galashiels/

Does anyone know how the 66s propelling the rail-installation train are being controlled?  None of the pics or film I've seen appear to show anyone in the leading cab, though there's frequently some-one in the rear one.  Is the loco under some sort of remote control from the guys on the ground at the head-of-steel, either using a radio-control link or by walkie-talkie to the person on the loco?

I do like the "Borders Railway" flag being flown near the front of the rail-istallation machine... like an army marching into battle !

Alasdair

It will be by radio with a shunter or pway man walking at the rear of the train talking to the driver.

Alasdair

There's a bloke with a model railway controller making the train go  :no:

I a highly amused that there is no provision for twin tracking the railway at this point. If the line takes off and stage 2 is built it will be just like the Chiltern line all over again, too much traffic for the infrastructure to cope with and they will have to do it all over again what a waste of time and money, still the tax payer is paying for it so what do they care, too busy arguing about the colour of the bricks. :rtfm: 

I a highly amused that there is no provision for twin tracking the railway at this point. If the line takes off and stage 2 is built it will be just like the Chiltern line all over again, too much traffic for the infrastructure to cope with and they will have to do it all over again what a waste of time and money, still the tax payer is paying for it so what do they care, too busy arguing about the colour of the bricks. :rtfm:

I would love to think so, and no-one would be more ecstatic were the whole line to be rebuilt back through to Longtown, Mossband and Carlisle.  

However, I am a realist.  This is a public project, because it may well end up a subsidy railway, years in.  Nonetheless, the Borders population as far as Hawick deserves its fair share of public money being spent on it, and access to mobility can be argued to be a modern day social 'right.'  

However, even adding-in an extension to Hawick, and were demand for travel be greater than the latent demand predicted in the model used to justify the half reopening, then extension from 2-car 158s to 3-car 170s will be the first stage in dealing with that growth.  Then 4-car EMUs, rather than increased frequencies and through double-tracking.  That may take a generation, 21 years - or three times around the Railway Industry's investment cycle.  

That would bring us to 2036.  At that point I'll be nearly 70.  And I can't say with certainty what I would wish to come next in the Millerhill - Hawick line's evolution - as I inevitably won't be able to participate much in it beyond what I'm already doing here - navel-gazing.   :angel:

I notice that the giant shed build by ASDA and Tesco are not made of whinstone, Neither is the retraining wall built by the NBR. And the Old college building was red sand stone. I think the good people of Gala have left it a bit late to become Architectural critics now that half the area around town centre has been bulldozed.  

I would love to think so, and no-one would be more ecstatic were the whole line to be rebuilt back through to Longtown, Mossband and Carlisle.  

However, I am a realist.  This is a public project, because it may well end up a subsidy railway, years in.  Nonetheless, the Borders population as far as Hawick deserves its fair share of public money being spent on it, and access to mobility can be argued to be a modern day social 'right.'  

However, even adding-in an extension to Hawick, and were demand for travel be greater than the latent demand predicted in the model used to justify the half reopening, then extension from 2-car 158s to 3-car 170s will be the first stage in dealing with that growth.  Then 4-car EMUs, rather than increased frequencies and through double-tracking.  That may take a generation, 21 years - or three times around the Railway Industry's investment cycle.  

That would bring us to 2036.  At that point I'll be nearly 70.  And I can't say with certainty what I would wish to come next in the Millerhill - Hawick line's evolution - as I inevitably won't be able to participate much in it beyond what I'm already doing here - navel-gazing.   :angel:

One way of thinking about this is that  6 car trains at 2TPH could transport the entire adult population of Gala to Edinburgh in a single day, That is the capacity of the line as it's being built. Even if it was extended to Hawick 2tph will be more than enough to cope with the population in the Borders, South of Hawick even the sheep have been replaced by trees these days.

• RMweb Premium

The only real economic case that I can see for restoring the whole route is total congestion of the Beattock route to the point where it needs to be quadrupled.   The only other thing is timber from Kielder (Those sheep replacement things) At the moment it's being handled by road to Kingmoor then transloaded but the volumes probably won't rise enough for rail to be economic from say Riccarton.

Jamie

Current western economic models (with their narrow spectrum) fail to make a suitable economic case for lines such as the BUR. When, however, you factor in the environmental and infrastructure degradation caused by the ever larger wagons on the B6357 along with accidents etc, cost of road repairs (some potholes have been known to utterly destroy low profile car tyres!), things must tilt closer to a more favourable case for rail.

Quite interesting to muse and wonder about the likely passenger numbers.

I currently use the Waverley stump end line from Brunstane into Edinburgh / Haymarket and then onwards, a couple of times a week, and passenger numbers have grown noticably over the last few years.

If I catch the first train of the day, at 0605, there are about 10 folk that get on to join the other 20 or so on a 6 car train that is really just doing an early move into the Fife Circle commuter zone; by the time the 0839 service leaves though the train is a 3 car 170 and is standing room only.

Once we get the Newtongrange and Gorebridge residents on board, we will be needing 6 car commuter trains at the Embra end immediately.

The housebuilding around the new Shawfair station hasnt quite started yet, but the land sales and the infrastructure contracts are underway - and that's a whole new town, without even considering the houses going up at the oddly titled 'Newcraighall Village', just around the corner from the station, or the proposed greenbelt building at Brunstane, presumably conveniently close (ish) to that station...

Archived