Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

Inspired by the work of Johnny cash above, the imagery of the blissful shore brings to mind the crossing of the Redbridge viaduct and rolling on to the south Tweed shore. With apologies to the late Steve Goodman, the following song, to be sung to the tune of "City of New Orleans" on any appropriate occasion, is being made available exclusively to members and visitors of rmweb.co.uk.

TWEEDBANK'S BLISSFUL SHORE

Riding on the 158 D M U ... (etc)

Oh yes… CONO has long been a staple of my 12-string guitar repertoire, so I’ll have a go at this version, though some of the scansion looks a little tricky….  Cheers!

Alasdair

• RMweb Premium

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-28867301

I'll leave it to those more knowledgable than me to comment on some of the ideas.

Gordon

That's the second big announcement from mr Salmond in the last week.  The other one was looking at extending to Carlisle once the current scheme is up and running. I refer you to Mike's post above.

Jamie

Anyone would think that Salmond bloke is involved in some sort of political campaign - I mean what answer has anyone else got to 'a steam train experience'?

I doubt the rail fans of Midlothian and the Borders give Salmond much of a constituency, but given how tight the polls are - you never know how vital those few might be! :-)

(edit for clarity)

• RMweb Premium

Time lapse footage of slab track lay in Bowshank Tunnel

Also my own next video is currently down loading and will appear here in a couple of hours. It features Tweedbank, work at Gala station site and some sites towards Stow. The sleepers piles seems to have reached Bowshank. 

http://youtu.be/uvb8khgEjUA

Thanks for that, love the rabbit doing a quick inspection in the middle.

Jamie

Third update for you (I reckon there's going to be a Borders Railway newsletter update in the next few days!).

The Borders Railway website has some construction pictures on their timeline, both of the sleepers laid through the new Shawfair station, Newtongrange and Eskbank areas.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/progress/timeline.aspx

My only gripe with the project still will remain with the single track designed areas to the project, I know it has been done to allow the line to reopen and in some area's for clearance issues but I still find it slightly disappointing to see the sleepers laid centrally through the Eskbank area - especially when there is aspirations of 4 tph to Gorebridge than on toe original double track formation to allow for passive doubling in the future.

Was quite excited to see the track at Sheriffhall last Friday.

One of the railway magazines reckons that Waverley is too chokka to take Alex Salmond's proposed steam specials on the railway. Guess it depends how many there are and whether there's time and space for the loco to run around to the front.

Mal

Was quite excited to see the track at Sheriffhall last Friday.

One of the railway magazines reckons that Waverley is too chokka to take Alex Salmond's proposed steam specials on the railway. Guess it depends how many there are and whether there's time and space for the loco to run around to the front.

Mal

I don't see it as a necessity that any steam special would need to work to and from Waverley, the specials could work from Newcraighall,  where there is more than adequate parking for anyone wishing to travel by car to use the trains, something that Waverley doesn't have, customers from the city centre would use advertised scheduled connecting Scotrail services.  Millerhill yard would be a perfect stabling point for locomotives and stock and there is the nearby triangle for turning steam locomotives.

jim

I don't see it as a necessity that any steam special would need to work to and from Waverley, the specials could work from Newcraighall,  where there is more than adequate parking for anyone wishing to travel by car to use the trains, something that Waverley doesn't have, customers from the city centre would use advertised scheduled connecting Scotrail services.  Millerhill yard would be a perfect stabling point for locomotives and stock and there is the nearby triangle for turning steam locomotives.

jim

Agree with you, Jim, but possibly an extra faff for tourists, not adding anything to the ambience. It's a good feeling to board a train at Waverley, imo, not so much at Newcraighall, if you get my drift.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

According to Railway magazine, tracklaying is due to start this coming Monday.  That's great news and hopefulluy fegguk can keep us up to date with where the head of steel has got to.

Jamie

Agree with you, Jim, but possibly an extra faff for tourists, not adding anything to the ambience. It's a good feeling to board a train at Waverley, imo, not so much at Newcraighall, if you get my drift.

Mal

The key thing is that regardless of where the train starts once it’s on the single track route with passing places it has to replace one of the half hourly trains, there is just nowhere for it to hide from the trains coming the other way and the one it is following takes the only available path.

It’s possible to run a steam train by cancelling or not scheduling 1 off peak train each way each day. Which is possibly not going to make much difference to most off peak passengers. 

If this were the case Scotrail would need to send 2 DMU's in multiple to Tweedbank to for the service that left Edinburgh before the stream train. One of these would make its normal return journey the other would need to wait at Tweedbank (with a crew) to form the return leg of the train cancelled to make way for the steam train. For the return leg the DMU arriving at Tweedbank before the steam train departed would need to wait at Tweedbank and join the following or later service in mutiple. Alternatively you need to cancel 2 trains each way, the one the steam train replaces and its return.

For this to work the DMU for the later working would have to be available in Edinburgh in time to couple to the earlier one, and the one that waits at Tweedbank would need to get back to Edinburgh before its next working. This is probably only going to be true if extra units are provided, which would increase Scotrail's total fleet unless spare units and crews were available off-peak and the excursion covered the extra costs of using them. Hence why they may be included in the franchisee bids

There was a piece in Modern Railways a couple of months ago suggesting that what was needed was several double track sections and extra signals, so presumably an excursion could closely precede or follow a service train and trains the other way could pass both on the same double track. However the signals were never in the spec and the double track sections were apparently shortened and several new bridges built for single track so the original configuration is now practically impossible or very expensive. 

As far as running round at tweed bank is concerned there is no loop and 2 platforms so as far as I can see there are 3 options.

1 have a diesel at the end and drag the train back to Edinburgh

2 have a diesel at the end and use it to shunt the coaches into the other platform at Tweedbank thus releasing the steam loco for it to attach it self back to the other end

3 have a steam loco at both ends, not sure how this effects the 45mph speed limit for tender first operation, the loco on the end would be working as a banker. 

Bear in mind that the journey needs to be done in 50-55 minutes to avoid mucking up other train timings, the distance is 35 miles, with probably no stops, the DMU have to stop 7-8 times.

Discuss

Archived