Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

The Borders Party now seems to have changed its tune on the new railway. Their late leader (now lives in Cumberland) opposed it on the basis that it might encourage unwanted development. Now Sandy Aitchison wants a station at Heriot. It might fit in with trains that don't stop at Stow, handy for hill walker and if you want to take your sheep with you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-30681134

And now the video shot on Tuesday the 13th of January

http://youtu.be/eca7B-LT4Bc

Great shots - particularly the "then and now," shots showing the progress from last year.

Hope the weather this week won't hold things up, but if it's tracklaying in the tunnel, than the weather won't be too much of a problem.

The workers look as though they were loving the sunny winter conditions!

Aberbrothock

Great shots - particularly the "then and now," shots showing the progress from last year.

Hope the weather this week won't hold things up, but if it's tracklaying in the tunnel, than the weather won't be too much of a problem.

The workers look as though they were loving the sunny winter conditions!

Aberbrothock

One track is complete through the tunnel all the way to the end of the double track at Bowland. The other one has reached the tunnel they should be in Gala this week.

One track is complete through the tunnel all the way to the end of the double track at Bowland. The other one has reached the tunnel they should be in Gala this week.

I note according to 'Realtime Trains' no rail trains running this week. May just be an site error. Any updates would be appreciated please.

I note according to 'Realtime Trains' no rail trains running this week. May just be an site error. Any updates would be appreciated please.

Tracklaying trains run Mon-Fri next week and Tues-Fri the following week. Friday 6th Feb is the final tracklaying train at Tweedbank.

Ballasting trains run each weekday until Tues 10th Feb.

Tamper runs Mon-Fri next week (plain line) then Thur-Fri the following week (points), followed by a continuous run of weekdays until Fri 20th Feb, apart from Wed 18th. The final two days (19-20 Feb) are point work at Tweedbank.

There are top up ballast deliveries and further tamping scheduled in April & May but I can't see much point in putting those dates up at the mo.

Tracklaying trains run Mon-Fri next week and Tues-Fri the following week. Friday 6th Feb is the final tracklaying train at Tweedbank.

Ballasting trains run each weekday until Tues 10th Feb.

Tamper runs Mon-Fri next week (plain line) then Thur-Fri the following week (points), followed by a continuous run of weekdays until Fri 20th Feb, apart from Wed 18th. The final two days (19-20 Feb) are point work at Tweedbank.

There are top up ballast deliveries and further tamping scheduled in April & May but I can't see much point in putting those dates up at the mo.

Thanks for all that info. A chance for more photos over the next few weeks.Hope the weather holds up!!

Fozzie

Shot yesterday, this video shows how things look in Gala as it we wait for the first train in the next couple of weeks. just some ballast and sleepers required. Some feetbridges, one I have not seen before. Though they are not yet available to inhale  diesel fumes from, the smell of victory surely approaches.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Feb 2015

I took this photo from a demolition train from Hawick in 1971.  It was my last "trip" on the old line from Hawick to Heriot.

Perhaps the rails might just be relaid in Gala today in this vicinity.  Id quod circumiret, circumveniat.

Looking forward to September, however, I have my doubts that the return portion of my ticket from 5 January 1969 will be valid.

Bruce

post-5524-0-23284800-1422966127_thumb.jpg

I'm on the train, in Gala ! I should be in Tweedbank by Friday don't wait up.

post-368-0-28823100-1423006542.jpg

A little later

post-368-0-66115700-1423006594.jpg

Probably my last chance to observe track laying, until they dismantle the buffers at Tweedbank and head for........ to be continued.

Is that 62440 of this parish grinning through the fence in that last shot?

Mike, those are fantastic. Thanks for posting and to your mate for taking them.

Brilliant mate.

No. It was G&SW territory for me today.

• RMweb Gold

One interesting thing about this work is that concrete sleepers seem to be used throughout.  Here in the affluent south east which allegedly gets all the investment our branch is being relaid, in places, with steel sleepers which will probably in the scrap pile long before those concrete ones have to be replaced.  No - not jealousy, just an observation that the south east doesn't always get the best rail investment deal.

• RMweb Premium

One interesting thing about this work is that concrete sleepers seem to be used throughout.  Here in the affluent south east which allegedly gets all the investment our branch is being relaid, in places, with steel sleepers which will probably in the scrap pile long before those concrete ones have to be replaced.  No - not jealousy, just an observation that the south east doesn't always get the best rail investment deal.

If you are talking about the Thames valley branches then I thought that they were due to get wires at some stage as part of the GWML electrification - which is relevant because I was also under the impression that the steel sleepers were not to be used with OHLE

For those not in the know ALL metal stuff alongside a route fitted with OHLE has to be connected together with earth bonding so as to prevent them building up lethal charge from the induced voltage OHLE can produce. Steel sleepers, like concretes should IIRC have rubber insulations between the rail and the sleeper to act as shock absorbers (something wood doesn't need because it is naturally shock absorbing) which means in theory every metal sleeper has to have a bond fitted to it.

Perhaps any  P-way members on the forum could clarify the situation

I'm loving the apparent model railway gradient in the second picture!

thanks

Donald

Looks like you've rumbled us. The whole thing is actually OO gauge photographed and filmed carefully over the last 4 years to make it look real. We have actually spent the £350M on booze.

Archived