steve fay

• 2 weeks later...

Their are a few people involved with my project. The chief loco builder Oz loco painter Conrad Cooper and the man I trust to weather my locos Fred Lewis. For me the finish Fred achieves is superb, It does not just photograph well it looks superb in the flesh. I have seen other locos completed by some of the best names in the buisness but once seen up close dont bear much resemblence to the picture.

Fred is a train Driver with DB shenker and is also a Driver / Fireman working main line tours for DB. I think this understanding of how steam locos work really make a difference to his weathering. Fred always likes to work from pictures to gage the level of weathering you want not just light, medium or heavy, as this can mean many things to many people.

post-5983-0-74916900-1345676645_thumb.jpg

My Brit built by DJH the lining on the running frame had shattered and was redone by Fred with a bow pen.

post-5983-0-95223200-1345676737_thumb.jpg

6023 built by OZ from a JLTRT kit. I really cant wait to send Fred a loco to have really dirtied up as these have been quite clean so far as they are my top link locos.

For more super Weathering check out Freds web page at Welsh Wizard loco works. Word Press.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Ive taken the plunge and pre ordered a Heljan Wezzie. Must be the Cornish sea air getting to me.

I hope they do a good job on this one as I was leaning more towards a JLTRT one.

It will be resprayed as D1000 Western Enterprise in faded Desert Sand.

If its any good I might just have D1015 done in Golden Ochre as well.

• Like 1

post-5983-0-66680700-1348221146_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-37933500-1348221572.jpg

This is how I will be having my Western done. Sorry about the quality this was taken off my camera phone off a laminated print. I really like the patch paint job and this will be a good test for Fred when he weathers it.

post-5983-0-71844800-1348221262.jpg

This is the picture I would give to Fred for D1015, Nice and Dirty

I wouldnt mind a Maroon western as well but instead of respraying a Heljan model it could be weathered like this;

post-5983-0-60763500-1348221532_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Steve has asked me to put an update on this thread about the turn table rebuild, as his puter is in the puter hospital (don't ask him why).

This is what I had to start with, the Metal Smith curved top G.W.R. 65' table. As an Irish man might say If you want to go to there I wouldn't start from here.

post-8920-0-56518200-1351342887_thumb.jpg

A side on view of the modified TT, showing most of the work that has been done up to now.

post-8920-0-39798900-1351342914_thumb.jpg

The thin side supports had me scratching my head for awhile, you can see them in this photo. Along with the locking gear.

post-8920-0-52900600-1351342812_thumb.jpg

This is the starting point for the first four of them.

post-8920-0-47395000-1351343903_thumb.jpg

I decided to start on the locking gear side, as I thought that the locking gear bar that runs down the side of the table may give a bit of protection to the supports when I have to fit the supports on to the other side.

post-8920-0-97467900-1351342946_thumb.jpg

I'm doing a full photo build in the kit and scratch building section, so I'm sorry for the duplication.

OzzyO.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Computer is back all mended. Looks like Ive secured a home for Ranelagh Bridge. Its going to take some time cash and effort but it will get there eventually. Overall the layout will have to be shortened but it should'nt detract from its appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

My King chip was sent away to Howes as I was getting some issues with it, The loco wouldnt pull a greasy man out of bed. Any way a call from Brian to day and its all sorted along with an updated sound file.

Cant fault the service from Howes, Should be back with me by wednesday, Highly recommended. So i look forward to getting it back in the loco.

Ive been asked if I could show the layout next May, I explained that I havent even cut any timber yet ( Ive been banging on about doing this for far to long) so I will try to get something done around the turn table area so I can show a work in progress.

Ive been in two minds about whether to show the layout or not but it is nice to be asked especially as I have not started on the boards yet. I think I will build the layout so it can be shown but probably wont venture out very often or too far.

• 2 weeks later...

The Signal box for Ranelagh should be ready in January hope fully by the GOG Bristol how. Followed by the water tower around the summer, I want these before I cut any timber so I can set it all out to get the boards right. until then I will keep collecting bits and searching for pictures and information.

One thing Ive been unable to decide on is whether to build it as an exhibition layout. I would like to show it but I am very much a one man band so it would be difficult logisticly.

Ive had a plan for an exhibition layout something simple to operate and still interesting, Using my Ranelagh fleet. Any way I will post more up about that in the future.

I suppose in a way Ranelagh Bridge will be an exhibition layout of sort as you good folk can see it on your computermobobs when ever you wish.

Steve

Edited by steve fay

• 1 month later...

Happy new year from Ranelagh Bridge.

My Birthday in two weeks so hopefully a Dapol 7 plank wagon should be coming. I don't need to many wagons for Ranelagh, The 7 plank for ash removal an oil tank or Two a Tool van and may be a few milk tanks. I haven't seen many pictures of any other wagons so that's nice and easy.

Rob from Laser Craft has informed me the signal box will not now be ready this month as he is commissioning a new laser.

Before Christmas I had a good look over the turn table and Wow it looks really good, The locking gear is a work of art. There isn't much more left to do on that so it should be completed in the not to distant future after Paul has finished a few other little projects that he was waiting for bits to complete that have now arrived. I was luckily enough to be involved in helping build the Station for Leamington Spa on Peter Watermans layout this was also done by Laser Craft, It was very easy to build and enjoyable so my signal box and water tower should be a breeze.

That's it for now

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol 7 plank open for Ash removal at Ranelagh bridge

post-5983-0-60710200-1358336970_thumb.jpg

The wagon will have a good weathering and I think I will fit some dinghmams couplings for automatic uncoupling.

A friend of mine recently fitted some to a set of wagons and they seem to offer reliable operation and they dont look to bad either.  I think I need a shunters truck and a toad with dinghams on one side and 3 links on the other to be my barrier vehicles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ranelagh is going to be taking a bit of a back seat for a while. My garden bar which is to become the permanent railway room is going to need about £2000 spent on it to get it to a comfortable room for modelling. I've recently found out part of my house roof needs to be felted so that's another one of life's necessities that's getting in the way of modelling. I'm still going to get all the bits together, I should get both the signal box and water tower this year and I would like to sort out the back scene before any boards are completed.

so it is really a slow burning project.

Over on 7mm plus modelling you can find my new little low cost Diorama that I'm going to start work on imminently. so updates on here might be a bit sparse for a while but the project is very much on the go and hopefully by the time all the other bits are done I should have most of the components I need to get started straight away.

All the best

Steve

• 5 months later...

With Canton fast approaching completion Thoughts are returning to Ranelagh Bridge. The dedicated room is still no closer but I'm wondering if I can do something along the lines of Canton. I've been very surprised but the comments Ive had especially from ex Railway men and spotter alike. And I think I've managed to capture the feeling of Canton but in a very short space.

Does any one have any ideas of a track plan or any input on how this could be achieved. The turntable would have to be the centre piece.

I'm not looking to start yet as the turn table is going to be on loan to a friends layout for a while.post-5983-0-78985100-1373536438_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Being playing around with the track plan on the floor of the bar/ railway room and it fits, Should be able to fit around 15 locos on there in total.

Let us see it then, don't keep it all to your self.

OK well you asked for it, Not so much back of a fag packet but a paint brush and the floor!!!post-5983-0-66818300-1374145738_thumb.jpg

And looking toward Paddington, With a lot of imagination!!!!

post-5983-0-40581000-1374145953_thumb.jpg

I will have to add a small extension to the building at this end to get a sector plate cassette area in with one or two sidings along the back wall for storage,

Also on the first pic the tracks won't curve slightly the will stay straight. The large building marked out should be parallel with the signal box but set back a bit more. I would like to get a cassette in here as well with one or two sidings along the front of the shed.

I will draw a plan out to show exactly what I mean.

At least now every time I walk in to the bar I will see the track plan and it will keep me motivated and remember canton started out with just some pen lines on a piece of board!!! Templot who needs it?????

• Like 1