Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Scale Compromise

As one or two of you will be aware I mostly model European toy trains, currently QUAI:87. This hasn't prevented me from viewing a few British locomotives with affection but I have contented myself with musings as to what I might do with any British loco I might just have in my possession and perusing the occasional issue of 'Bylines'. All was happy contentedness at Zob Towers until Chris Nevard snuck out the new Sentinel at Railex recently. That's when the sleepless nights started. You see that little loco I really like and, could I possibly stretch a few points and have one for QUAI:87? There was much discussion around at the time, probably still is-probably been done, as to the straightforwardness of converting said loco to P4 (easy). Now you see my conundrum, if I can live with it being the wrong (minority) scale (I think I can) and contend with the 'never ran that there brigade' (I can do that as well) would it be alright to convert a lovely 4mm model to P87. A bit arsey versey I know but at least the gauge stays the same, or would it be too much like a turd in the swimming pool. What do you think? Brian.

• RMweb Gold

or would it be too much like a turd in the swimming pool

Nothing you do could possibly be considered akin to anything malodourous floating in your local lido, Brian. I think you should go for it and then we can all judge the result... :D

(Hopefully there will never be any R-T-R 'S' scale stuff!... ;) :laugh: )

One got as far as Iraq, Brian and I have photos of one of the railcars being loaded onto the ferry at Harwich to transport to Belgium. Sentinel products were used in France and Belgium during the Great War, so they weren't unknown... I wouldn't think twice.

Nothing you do could possibly be considered akin to anything malodourous floating in your local lido, Brian. I think you should go for it and then we can all judge the result... :D

(Hopefully there will never be any R-T-R 'S' scale stuff!... ;) :laugh: )

Dear Kernow Models.......

• RMweb Gold

One got as far as Iraq, Brian and I have photos of one of the railcars being loaded onto the ferry at Harwich to transport to Belgium. Sentinel products were used in France and Belgium during the Great War, so they weren't unknown... I wouldn't think twice.

If I remember rightly, the ones sent abroad were made 15% larger to take full benefit of the "generous Continental loading gauge".

• RMweb Gold

You could take another approach and model something in 4mm scale. Now as it so happens I bought a 40ft:1inch plan of a biscuit factory the other day which shows its track layout complete with a three way interlaced turnout heading in one direction while a somewhat plainer turnout comes out of it in the opposite direction with the switches apparently partly overlapping. Just up your street I'd have thought (although the factory used Pecketts before going over to fireless locos).

I think the use in Iraq and France and Belgium bit has done it for me. Not that QUAI:87 is necessarily located in either place, cap'n. Dubious about the 15% larger thing although it's a pretty enough lie that I will go along with it.I was thinking of converting the Sentinel to a crane loco when I get it,(there must be a prototype somewhere Phil) cobbling the crane will be enough scratch building for me, thanks. The nice man at Model Rail or wherever it was couldn't quite grasp why I wasn't fussy about what livery and I don't think he'd ever heard of 'undec'. As for the 4mm layout in a biscuit tin I must say I hadn't considered that approach - think I'd have to see the trackplan and how on earth am I going to get hold of an empty tin. Regards and thanks for all the suggestions, Brian.

Just been looking at that Iraq link, Jonathan and a worry has cropped up - I don't see the exposed drive chain on the Dapol model. I knew they were chain driven but only just noticed the omission. Perhaps there were differing types. The smallest Delrin chain I could get for my wagon hoist (another story) is far too large for the Sentinel, a skirted version maybe. Brian

• RMweb Gold

Obviously someone built the swimming-pool next to the cess-pool - and he can't swim, but goes through the motions.

I doubt that he needs to borrow my tin of prunes, then...

But who will support a memorial for the poor turd that drowned?... :laugh: :pleasantry:

Actually, it's good to see that everyone is rallying with sound, technical advice for Brian on what to do with his Sentinel.... :P

Brian, as long as you swim with your mouth closed, the turds not a problem.

And remember that not all turds float!

So............Go ahead and do it!yahoo.gif

You know it makes sense!

Its called Railway Modellings Turd law!

ps a wise man once said, its better to swim with one, than have a bucket of them thrown over you.

Having experienced both, I think he was right!laugh1.gif

Archived