Lord & Butler are running their annual charity show, weekend after next

Saturday AND Sunday 18th & 19th June

It's in aid of Ty Hafan children's hospice, who do some sterling work

Entry to the show is FREE and there are some great layouts,

including the re-vamped "Maindy East" Steffan Lewis' superb P4 layout

There are several other layouts in attendance

including my own latest project "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel"

you may have guessed from the title that it's a South Wales based steelworks,

and it's set in the rain - but don't worry, you'll not get wet watching it!

Barry Ten has been working hard on his Welsh valleys terminus "Paynestown"

and I honestly thought it couldn't get any better than it was last time I saw it....

Rouse 2037's wonderful, compact "Neptune Rd" will also be there,

and that's worth going to see on it's own!

So come along, the show is free, there are some great exhibits

and the good folk at Lord & Butler always generously donate a percentage of their takings

to Ty Hafan - please come & support our local, growing WAG area group.....

C'mon, you Swaggers, it's worth the bridge toll

See you there

Marc

PS, Brian, did I hear you say you're going on hols,

but you can make the Saturday?

Hope so good sir - you haven't seen the steelworks yet

.... and it's all your fault!

Hi Marc

Yes I will also be there with my Canadian layout "HAZELTOWN" DCC and Sound featuring Canadian Pacific/National/ BC Rail stock,

Very keen to see L&Bs ltd edition 2EPB EMU which apparently will be available on that weekend.

Can,t wait to see Maindee East again

So come along if you can ,support a worthy charity see some great layouts and have a good old chat aswell

see you there

BRIANTdrinks.gif

post-7300-0-63978000-1307610730_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned above this is always a great weekend with a very friendly atmosphere and well worth supporting - a free exhibition (with donations to Ty Hafan appreciated), next to one

of the best model railway shops in the country, and with a great cafe on the premises and plenty of other shops to look at in the Pumping Station. Apart from the line-up of layouts, Bachmann will also be in attendance, so come along!

post-6720-0-23888500-1307612337_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-31476000-1307612365_thumb.jpg

'.....great oaks, from little acorns. . . .".

All credit to Peter & Adrian at Lord & Butler, for organising what has become a very enjoyable and entertaining annual event.

Similarly, thanks to the numerous exhibitors such as Steffan Lewis, Brian T, Marc, Al. (Barry Ten), Roger etc for taking their layouts along.

Contrary to rumours, I will be putting in an appearance, by undertaking a diversion en-route to the airport ! (No, she doesn't know -yet !).

The L & B Limited Edition green 2-EPB will be available for inspection, and I'm told the Bachmann display will be in attendance, as normal.

Whilst admission to the show is 'free' please be mindful that donations would be appreciated, the beneficiary being 'Ty Hafan' a locally based hospice for children.

It will be good to see those WAG members who were unable to make last nights 'soiree' at The Plough (and who missed yet another pleasant evening of interesting anecdotes, exchanges of information and ideas). . . . . . . looking at last night's attendance, we may soon outgrow the venue !!!!!

Brian R

Adding my support to the post too!

It really is a great show, for a great cause, set in great location, with a great model shop, great cafe and well worth spending and donating some great amounts of money to!

Hope to see some RMWebbers attending! :drinks:

Cheers

Roger

Photo by Marc "The Growler" Smith

post-3021-0-04251600-1307613147_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that folks,

Glad to hear that Bachmann will be there again!

(I don't think Pete mentioned that to me)

Brain T, appologies, I do now recall you mentioning that you are there with Hazletown....

(what's happening to my memory? :O )

I saw Hazletown ages back, and then a few weeks back,

at the Ponty club show in Efail Isaf

Brian, I have to say, I think it was the star of the show!

And I'm not particularly a fan of Canadian Railways....

you could turn me Brian, you really could :laugh:

The sounds in some of those Canadian locos was superb

and even includes some chatter between driver & signalman!!!

.... or was that you, doing your ventriloquists act? :D

CheersMarc

The sounds in some of those Canadian locos was superb

and even includes some chatter between driver & signalman!!!

.... or was that you, doing your ventriloquists act? :D

He'll explain it over a 'gottle of geer'!

Brian R

Yes, only 9 days to go!

This is by no means a sneaky way of keeping this thread on the main "front page" of topics - that would of course happen though if I count down the days to the show by such a posting method every day until the show.. :help:

Remember - it's Free, Fantastic, Friendly and For a good cause!

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Al. It's such a good runner - from the box and chipped with little running in first. However, at the Swindon show last year, the Warley Club chaps kindly ran it on their big roundy for several hours for me and since then it's been better than ever!

Only 8 days to go to The Show :drinks:

I popped along to Lord & Butler this morning for some more Kadee's. Such a great model railway shop! Loads of stock and great bargains too!

Anyone thinking about attending the show next weekend..... please do come along!

Cheers

Roger

In the meantime - " :pleasantry: less than 7 days to go until The Show, which, as you may recall, contains free entry, is held for a very good cause, takes place on a weekend where you have the excuse (should you need it) that "as it's Fathers Day I can spend what I like"..as well as seeing/meeting many RMWebbers and their offerings all for your pleasure - :pleasantry: " ,

I have been planting several more weeds on Neptune Road and pondering over the blue, sound fitted Western that is for sale in Lord & Butler.. or the bargain priced gauge 1 Class 03...

Cheers

Roger

Don't know if I'll be welcome next week ?

Was chased out of L & B today, by an irate assistant who I forgot to e-mail about last weeks WAG get together !

Sorry Martin.

He waited until I'd made my purchase though !

See you all next Saturday afternoon.

Brian R

Much less than a week to go now - in fact this time next week you had better notch up and get on down to The Pumping Station in Cardiff for the FREE Lord & Butler Model Railway Show as there would at that point, only be a few hours left in which to - Donate some money to a good cause, admire some great layouts, chat to the Bachmann man, sip tea in the cafe, let your mrs/partner/kids etc browse the other traders offerings and spend your money while you spend even more on the loco and/or rolling stock that you always wanted...

I'm rather excited! :yahoo:

Roger

I'm rather excited! :yahoo:

Don't take my word for it, look what Roger said !

I'm looking forward to the FREE - L&B Show too, I enjoy it more each year.

Unfortunately my boy will be in dry dock (Falmouth) and won't be there to buy me Bachmann goodies for Father's Day

Brian R

• RMweb Gold
All credit to Peter & Adrian at Lord & Butler, for organising what has become a very enjoyable and entertaining annual event.

Similarly, thanks to the numerous exhibitors such as Steffan Lewis, Brian T, Marc, Al. (Barry Ten), Roger etc for taking their layouts along.

... The L & B Limited Edition green 2-EPB will be available for inspection, and I'm told the Bachmann display will be in attendance, as normal.

Whilst admission to the show is 'free' please be mindful that donations would be appreciated, the beneficiary being 'Ty Hafan' a locally based hospice for children.

I'd like to echo what's already been said here. (By the way, I've always rated Ty Hafan as a very worthwhile cause.)

I'd also like to applaud all the efforts of everyone who makes this excellent event possible.

Like last year, I'm hoping to turn up on Saturday - by bus.

In case anyone else is planning on using the bus to get there, three routes pass the Pumping Station - Cardiff Bus routes 92, 93 and 94 (all of which eventually end up in Penarth). These routes all start from the back of the Central Library (by John Lewis) and pick up outside the Philharmonic.

The stop for the Pumping Station is on Penarth Road - opposite Screwfix - and just before the road crosses under a flyover. (Strangely enough, this isn't always the easiest stop to find from a bus. However, I'm sure most Cardiff Bus drivers know exactly where the Pumping Station is, as it's just round the corner from their depot - however, Penarth Road is rather long!)

Anyway, that's more than enough waffle from me.

As you might have gathered by now, I'm looking forward to this event.

I'm looking forward to seeing some great layouts.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some great people - those who make this event possible - and those who, by turning up, help to support the excellent cause that is Ty Hafan Children's Hospice.

Let's just say I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

Huw.

Dear all,

Thanks for posting on here, and as you all say, it's for a fabulous cause

I'm so busy tweaking couplings / making sure everything is working / last minute alterations... I had completely forgotten add directions to the pumping station :(

So a big thanks to Huw for that :D

Please come along, say hello & have a chat

Marc

PS. There is an old saying that goes

"If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done!"

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Andy Y won't mind me reposting this image of Steffan's remarkable Maindee East which appeared on the old forum:

Maindee1s.jpg

This is one of the best layouts I've ever seen, in any scale or theme, so well worth the trip to the Pumping Station in its own right - plus, it's had a bit of a revamp since its last outing. Picture by Andy, original thread here. Come along and support Ty Hafan!

Must be something in the Cardiff water - as this week, I are been mostly tweaking couplings too!

Also tarting up the layout sides to make them look presentable and making a list of what not to forget -

1 Layout

2 Loco's

3 Wagons

4 Tool kit

5 Track cleaning stuff

6 Extension lead

7 Gaffer tape

8 Trestles

9 Controller

10 Black cloth to hide (behind) things

11 Wallet

12 ermmmm

Roger

Steffan's remarkable Maindee East

Maindee1s.jpg

Depot layouts appear to be the new "G.W.R. BLT"

But this one 'does it' for me more than almost any other.

Why ?

Because no one ever models a GWR 'Loan Act' shed - and (outstanding quality of modelling aside) it reminds me of the first shed I 'bunked' - Radyr.

I'll be rubbing Vick on my chest Friday night, to clear the lungs - in order that I can digest a larger amount of 'atmosphere' !!!!

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Came last year and really enjoyed this friendly show so thought I would give it a go this year.

SWMBO is on crutches at the mo however following motorbike accident so organised for her to see her son and sister in Cardiff whilst I came over.

Only problem? Organised all that for last Sunday - wrong day! :laugh:

Oh well - try again next year! Hope all goes well, sorry to miss those excellent layouts

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Last weekend was a bit of a cock-up on the planning front. I'd reserved the week for adding S&W couplings to a few more vehicles, and had ordered the etches well in advance. However, when I sat down with all my tools and wire etc in front of the telly for a mammoth coupling session, I opened the pack only to find I'd stupidly ordered the wrong fret - the 4mm as opposed to 4mm finescale version. As I'd already fitted finescales to a set of stock, I had to stick with that type as they are not inter-compatible.

Fortunately two new etches arrived this morning from MSE, so tonight I hope to add a few more couplings and thereby add a bit more variety to the rolling stock available for the layout at this weekend's forthcoming free exhibition in support of Ty Hafan at the Pumping Station, Cardiff.

"I'll be rubbing Vick on my chest Friday night, to clear the lungs - in order that I can digest a larger amount of 'atmosphere' !!!!

Brian R"

Hey Brian

You can borrow some "Grease Em" if you like - wont stain your shirt!

Three days to go folks!

:yahoo:

Roger

Archived