Great Western Railway Journal no.78

westerner

Popped through my letter box yesterday

Passenger operation at Paddington part 6 1945-mid 50's 34pages

Staationary at Paddington 1page

GWR horse traffic and Horse boxes 12 pages

Drawing of cattle pens 3pages

Paddington in colour 4pages

I'm finding the series on passenger operation at Paddington fascinating! Only one more instalment to go.

In his editorial John Copsey recommends a visit to the National Archive "to get a feel for the material there". As he points out, other archives are available. He adds: "... reaching an answer by your own efforts is a lot more satisfying than just trying to badger information from others ...". As if anyone on RMWeb would do that!

Chris

(edited for typo)

• RMweb Gold

In his editorial John Copsey recommends a visit to the National Archive "to get a feel for the material there". As he points out, other archives are available. He adds: "... reaching an answer by your own efforts is a lot more satisfying than just trying to badger information from others ...". As if anyone on RMWeb would do that!

Chris

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifsecret.gif

I'm finding the series on passenger operation at Paddington fascinating! Only one more instalment to go.

Chris

(edited for typo)

I agree but it can also be equally frustrating if you are a nosey cow like me as I can guarantee that you will come away from an Archive with a whole new set of questions- often caused by the fact that the files are either incomplete, missing or contradict themselves or you learn something that hadn't even crossed your mind before going. As the song goes "there are more questions than answers" and this is certainly true when looking at Metropolitan signalling or working timetables. :laugh:

I'm finding the series on passenger operation at Paddington fascinating! Only one more installment to go.

:O :o

That's a relief ! it is a bit like watching a 4 hour film which has only a 10 minute script - padding 't on Paddington.

:yawn:

I would be very interested in reading the horsebox article and I would like to get hold of this particular issue of the GWRJ. However, apart from buying direct from Wild Swan, is the Journal available from the usual retail outlets such as WH Smiths?

I believe that Wild Swan doesn’t have a website, so if they were the only option for me, could someone please let me have their postal address or telephone number.

Cheers

Willy.

• RMweb Premium

You can find it in some Smiths outlets and in other magazine retailers. The numbers of outlets that carry it is limited though.

I would be very interested in reading the horsebox article and I would like to get hold of this particular issue of the GWRJ. However, apart from buying direct from Wild Swan, is the Journal available from the usual retail outlets such as WH Smiths?

I believe that Wild Swan doesn’t have a website, so if they were the only option for me, could someone please let me have their postal address or telephone number.

I know a few booksellers do sell the journal, but after a quick look I could only find Railway books

If you contact them, they should be able to provide it.

Guest dilbert

I know a few booksellers do sell the journal, but after a quick look I could only find Railway books

I use British Railway books for obtaining my GWRJs - if you ask Gary nicely enough he will provide you a quote for a years supply of the journal.

He accepts most methods of payment (except Green Shield stamps ;)) ...dilbert

Thank you all for your contribution. I will ask some friends in the UK if they will pop into their local WH Smiths and if that fails I will have a look at British Railway Books, although the postage to France is a bit steep.

Thanks again

Willy

could someone please let me have their postal address or telephone number.

WILD SWAN PUBLICATIONS LTD, 1-3 HAGBOURNE ROAD, DIDCOT, OX11 8DP

01235 816478

They do have a postal sales service.

Cheers

Rod

I wish they'd just made the Paddington stuff into a book, its taken over quite a few issues of the journal now.....

Be careful what you wish for. It may well be that we get a beautifully-bound hardback book in the years to come.....

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful what you wish for. It may well be that we get a beautifully-bound hardback book in the years to come.....

That would be fine as it wouldn't come as part of my special subscription to MRJ/GWJ ;).

Mind you St Merryn the P4 layout had the book and now we've had a couple of articles in MRJ on that too.

Archived