Photo stitching

Thomas

Downloaded a free Microsoft photo stitching program recently. A few efforts from Wednesday in Glasgow.

Others welcome'

Tom.

Glasgow Central

post-6977-0-73930600-1307708441_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-20269800-1307708465_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-10397700-1307708482_thumb.jpg

Glasgow Queen Street

post-6977-0-56842600-1307708500_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-47681600-1307708518_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-74888100-1307708531_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-92481400-1307708547_thumb.jpg

Glasgow Queen Street low level platfoms

Nice work Thomas; it's done a tidy job of those.

I used Photoshop Elements 8 for these Woodhead panoramas. I've got some to do for the new layout's backscene but it creates some Monster files.

Crowden_Panorama_med.jpg

Torside_Panorama_med.jpg

Woodhead_Panorama_med.jpg

My digital camera came with Ulead Cool 360 software and I have used it to 'stitch' together photos. It suggests that there is about 5% overlap between photos.

As said above the downside is file size!

The software's called, Microsoft ICE ( Image Composite Editor ), and it's a free down load from their site.

The one below is from June 1975, Springs Branch, Wigan, from top of one of the lighting towers, I did the full 360 degrees, this is just part of it.

It was a quite Saturday morning on the shed job !

post-6977-0-80003200-1308127372_thumb.jpg

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Black 5s on the coast between Helmsdale and Brora on Far North line. I think it was three photos stitched together. The exhaust was hanging in the air, so I took a few photos as the pair approached and stitched them together.

5661812315_8c1be47097_b.jpg

Here is Brentford waste terminal off the top of a nearby building through some smoked glas sadly. You can see the binliner containers all over the place. The elevated road in the distance is the M4 heading into the smoke.... click for a BIGGER view...

post-6681-0-28195900-1310578798_thumb.jpg

I was having a play a little earlier with some shots I did a couple of weeks ago looking across to the edge of the Staffordshire Moorlands which may be of use if anyone wants to print their own backscene. Taken here.

Staffordshire_Moorlands_Panorama_Summer_small.jpg

You can download the 5.0m x 0.5m (10.5Mb) version here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forumimages/Staffordshire_Moorlands_Panorama_Summer.jpg

I printed me own backscene a few years ago but unfortunatley they soon faded or discoloured after being printed on the inkjet, and they were in the shade at that. Inkjet prints, even on the best glossy paper, are certainly not as achival as real photos.

Perfectly true Larry, there's some 'orrid photos around this house where the dyes have shifted.

I'll be using a printing service to print directly onto foamex for my next backscene so it can be done all in one and be curved around the corners without having to faff about sticking it to anything.

Andy Y.

I'll be using a printing service to print directly onto foamex for my next backscene so it can be done all in one and be curved around the corners without having to faff about sticking it to anything.

I'd be interested to see pictures of this development when it takes place Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Presumably you were somewhere over near Marazion to get a view of the bay like that!

I've made similar ones myself with the GIMP - including some at spots around Mount's Bay. I prefer the rough "mosaic" look I get to the results of proper stitching software - it reminds me of Hockney's polaroid collages. As I've not yet tried making any of railway locations, I won't try posting the results here, but they are over on Flickr.

wow. your pictures are great. hope you don't mind, but i might have to copy some of your idears some time.

I was actually at long rock last Wednesday waiting for the fuel tankers (which i never came). gimp is good, but the file sizes are huge 3.4 gig to make this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's one I've done using ICE - four photos taken on Bennlech beach in late July.

post-6717-0-79542100-1322645530_thumb.jpg

horizon's a bit wonky on the left and I had to do some serious cheating to get the right hand image (of four) to be accepted. I'd taken it slightly later than the adjacent one and too many folks had moved for the software. I cut and pasted the small boy in the foreground from one image to another and then it accepted it. there's still a step in the horizon though.

Archived